Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 1 on Autopilot 2HW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have Autopilot 1 on Autopilot 2HW?
When I ordered my car Autopilot 2 was not available. I ordered Autopilot 1 at this time. Now I'will take my delivery soon but have to pay the full price of Autopilot 2. What are the differences of Autopilot 1 and 2 on Autopilot 2HW?

They are completely different platforms. AP1 is based on MobileyeQ3, it has one camera and one radar and ultrasonics.

AP2 is based on Drive PX2, it has 8 cameras, radar and ultrasonics.

Be happy that you got AP2 hardware.

What are the differences of Autopilot 1 and 2 on Autopilot 2HW?

I2EhIRz.jpg

As you can see, there are more cameras and better ranges for sensors.

MobilEye platform was designed with some limitations that are not meant to advance through driverless competency due to its inferior hardware capability and processing power.

Both AP1 and AP2 are promised to do hands-free On-ramp to Off-ramp but there's a difference:

efJXLKE.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Trnsl8r
When I ordered my car Autopilot 2 was not available. I ordered Autopilot 1 at this time. Now I'will take my delivery soon but have to pay the full price of Autopilot 2. What are the differences of Autopilot 1 and 2 on Autopilot 2HW?

As I understood it, Tesla was going to provide AP1 functionality on AP2 hardware for those who ordered before and didn't want to upgrade to EAP? Is this not true anymore since you indicate that you have to pay for EAP2 instead?

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
They are completely different platforms. AP1 is based on MobileyeQ3, it has one camera and one radar and ultrasonics.

AP2 is based on Drive PX2, it has 8 cameras, radar and ultrasonics.

Be happy that you got AP2 hardware.

I'm sure he's happy, but what he is saying is that you can keep AP1 functionality with the AP2 hardware. You don't have to upgrade to the functionality of the EAP. If he wants it to do the extra things of EAP over AP1 then he has to pay to upgrade the software to do it.

I was in the same boat and I chose to upgrade to Full Self Driving. Elon just verified that in about 3 to 6 months FSD will start to work better than EAP because of the extra cameras being turned on.

This basically tells you the difference. Pulled from Tesla's website from the learn more tab for FSD.

AP1 of course does some of the simpler tasks, keep within a lane and match speed.

Enhanced Autopilot

Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed, subject to regulatory approval.

section-intelligent_lane_change.jpg

On-ramp to Off-ramp
Once on the freeway, your Tesla will determine which lane you need to be in and when. In addition to ensuring you reach your intended exit, Autopilot will watch for opportunities to move to a faster lane when you're caught behind slower traffic. When you reach your exit, your Tesla will depart the freeway, slow down and transition control back to you.

section-autosteer.jpg

Autosteer+
With the new Tesla Vision cameras, sensors and computing power, your Tesla will navigate tighter, more complex roads.

section-smart_summon.jpg

Smart Summon
With Smart Summon, your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
As I understood it, Tesla was going to provide AP1 functionality on AP2 hardware for those who ordered before and didn't want to upgrade to EAP? Is this not true anymore since you indicate that you have to pay for EAP2 instead?

This is true! I'will definitly get Autopilot Hardware 2. The question is what is the difference of Autopilot 1 functionality and enhanced autopilot (EAP /Autopilot 2.0) on Autopilot Hardware 2.

Realistically you want to just take EAP and not mess around since it is going to be a forgone option everyone will take.

FSDC as well but you can wait on that since it may take awhile for that to clear and also assuming governmental laws allow it.

Wait what?

You ordered regular AP expecting a car that had HW2, but you lucked out and you got an HW2 car.

Pretty cool deal because it was going to be awhile before we really saw EAP features. So no sense in upgrading at the time of purchase. It's completely understandable why you went that route until paying the difference to upgrade to EAP.

But, now Tesla is saying you can't have regular AP that you paid for? Are they going to pay you back for AP?

I remember arguing with someone on here saying how silly it was for Tesla to have a special version of AP for only a few people. Because it would take a separate code base, etc. I didn't see any logical reason for trying to come out with a neutered version of the software running on HW2 hardware. That's an awful lot of testing/proving out for such a small number of cars.

If that is indeed the case I would tell Tesla no. Make them pay you back the money, and then upgrade when you want. Or let them give you EAP for no extra cost.

The question is what is the difference of Autopilot 1 functionality and enhanced autopilot (EAP /Autopilot 2.0) on Autopilot Hardware 2.

If I can understand your question then it does not matter what hardware you have, what counts is how much you paid.

If you paid for 40 kWh battery, it doesn't matter that you got a 60 kWh battery hardware, you can only drive as if it's a real 40 kWh battery.

That's the same with Hardware 1 or Hardware 2. What counts is what you paid for.

If you paid for Hardware 1 price and your car has Hardware 2, the best you could get is the function of Hardware 1.

Both functions are similar but hardware 2 pricing with the specifications that are better than cheaper price hardware 1 function.

That means if you paid for cheaper price hardware 1 function, even when your new car does have a trifocal camera hardware 2, you can only use single monochrome camera and your camera has no depth perception.

If I can understand your question then it does not matter what hardware you have, what counts is how much you paid.

If you paid for 40 kWh battery, it doesn't matter that you got a 60 kWh battery hardware, you can only drive as if it's a real 40 kWh battery.

That's the same with Hardware 1 or Hardware 2. What counts is what you paid for.

If you paid for Hardware 1 price and your car has Hardware 2, the best you could get is the function of Hardware 1.

Both functions are similar but hardware 2 pricing with the specifications that are better than cheaper price hardware 1 function.

That means if you paid for cheaper price hardware 1 function, even when your new car does have a trifocal camera hardware 2, you can only use single monochrome camera and your camera has no depth perception.

I believe his question is what comes with EAP because they're not letting him have AP on the HW2 car.

We can't really determine what AP would even be on a HW2 car.

Having AP on an HW2 car would mean that Tesla would have to figure out how to

Make the Autopark suck with an HW2 car
Make the summons screw up occasionally and hit something
Recreate truck lust with HW2
Occasionally release updates that reduced the functionality of AP, and then go oops sorry about that a few weeks later.

Sorry, but AP on an HW2 car is not going to happen. It's going to be EAP.

The OP should stand his/her ground, and demand AP. They will cave and give him EAP without making him pay extra.

It's not like the software limited 40KW where it was easy to implement the limit.

• Funny
Reactions: hollywood and Tam

The part I'm curious about is how Tesla is going to handle people who ordered an AP1 car, but ended up with a HW2 car.

Where the customer expected to get all the functionality of AP1 as soon as they received the car, and ordered well before HW2 was announced.

Is it really fair to make them pay the full price of EAP because they were left with next to nothing for the first 3-6 months of ownership? In most cases these are the people who first received a HW2 car.

Like right now they do not have most of the features of AP1, and the features that are there aren't working so well yet. So Tesla might as well give them EAP to say "OOPS!! Sorry about that"

Is it really fair to make them pay the full price of EAP because they were left with next to nothing for the first 3-6 months of ownership?

Paying now, a lot now, if want you to exercise your patience seems to work well in Tesla :)

AP 1 had to wait for a whole year after payment.

AP 2 had to wait for about 3 months now just to get it started.

And I am not going to guess how long Driverless Option Owners are going to wait!

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Does anything on the paperwork indicate whether you received AP or EAP?

Firmware version would be relevant too.

We would presume AP1 on AP2 hardware would require its own code base.

Even though I'd be annoyed since I paid the upgrade to EAP from AP1, Tesla should just consolidate those two forks (if there is two forks).

Paperwork indicates AP.
Confirmed today i have exactly 1 thing. Cruise control, the basic kind, set a speed and the car runs at that speed regardless.
I have no shadowing or lines or anything on the display. I was told this was an Australian decision to disable everything completely until the update whereby we finally get auto headlights, auto wipers, TaCC, lane assist etc etc.
So once an update happens and it seems that some of this stuff is enabled, i will get back to you.
No clue when that will be, Tesla time most likely.

I'm in the same boat more or less. Ordered in September with regular autopilot. Took delivery in December without paying extra to upgrade from "AP" to "EAP", even though I asked about it. So far there seems to be no difference between the functionality I've received and what others here on the forum are describing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mjølner