Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 1 - Reads and Adjusts Automatically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished a short 100km highway road trip. As we know, our Teslas have been reading traffic speed restriction signs for some time (with 30km/hr - 80km/hr issues).
Today, with Autopilot engaged, the car reset the TCC speed per the sign automatically. So I went from 100km/hr to 80km/hr then to 60km/hr without touching the cruise control stick. This is a Version 1 Autopilot car. Software 32.4
Anyone else experienced this?
The car also speed up when leaving those zones. WOW I did not expect that.
I have taken video of this and will post later. 20180921_143153.jpg

Just finished a short 100km highway road trip. As we know, our Teslas have been reading traffic speed restriction signs for some time (with 30km/hr - 80km/hr issues).
Today, with Autopilot engaged, the car reset the TCC speed per the sign automatically. So I went from 100km/hr to 80km/hr then to 60km/hr without touching the cruise control stick. This is a Version 1 Autopilot car. Software 32.4
Anyone else experienced this?
The car also speed up when leaving those zones. WOW I did not expect that.
I have taken video of this and will post later.View attachment 336779
Performance Models (34.1) behaves that way.

Yeah I have to wonder if it is reading the signs, going along the M4 in Sydney where the roadworks are there are heaps of 80Km/h signs and it never changes from the std 100 on the dash speed limit indicator. Whereas on the M7/M5 when the electronic speed indicator signs change the car picks it up the instant it passes them. (so I think GPS signals are more the controlling system?).

I’m still on 18.2 and noticed auto speed zone adherence a while ago. What strikes me is the location accuracy & close to exact rate of deceleration. I think that is an improvement...but how?

Australia is still without WAAS or SBAS; augmentation systems which would have explained the location accuracy. Tends to make me think it’s combined optical sign recognition & GNSS location heuristic based on levels of confidence. But only in ‘Gen 1’ MobileEye equipped vehicles? Interesting.

• Informative
Reactions: Tension
I must correct myself. It appears the SBAS Testbed has been live & operational for a year. So 2nd Gen SBAS & Precise Point Positioning...GNSS location based auto speed zone adherence seems very likely. But only on AP1. Why would that be?

From Satellite Based Augmentation System test-bed project - Geoscience Australia

First test signals were transmitted in June 2017.

From October 2017, the SBAS test-bed has been fully operational. Second generation SBAS and Precise Point Positioning have been confirmed to provide positioning accuracies of several decimetres and ten centimetres respectively across Australia and New Zealand. The test-bed is also the first in the world to trial Precise Point Positioning corrections integrated into a SBAS service.

Depending on your device, many GPS users in Australia will immediately be able to track the SBAS signal from their device and see improved positioning accuracy. The SBAS test-bed will not be certified for safety-of-life use. However, should the SBAS be implemented, it will be certified for safety-of-life use.

AP1 has been doing this (at least in the US) since autosteer speed restrictions were first introduced with 7.1.

Makes sense since the US has had the required positioning precision via WAAS since 1997 from what I’ve read (on WikiPedia fwiw).

I also realised that I cannot recall seeing any satellite fix dance on any GPS device for a while - probably about 12 months actually - I’m guessing since the AUSNZ SBAS test-bed went live.

I'm still running 2018.18.2 as I don't want to downgrade to the Autopilot high-frequency nag. I got back from holiday on September 19th to find that, even without updating the firmware, my AP1 car has also started doing this. It only shifts to speed limits lower than that originally set when AP1 is activated, ie, it won't change from 80->100km/hr if AP is engaged at 80km/hr

• Informative
Reactions: baillies and bradjc