TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AutoPilot 1 Software Update Question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Hazelwood, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Hazelwood

Hazelwood Member

Quick question for anyone who knows. I have a 2016 S90D with AP 1.0. I have not updated to whatever software version introduced the more annoying nags as that adds no useful functionality plus I've heard of others mentioning other bugs that were introduced. Got me to thinking though, what's the positive of the software updates when running version 1.0 now? They aren't improving AP 1.0, I don't think they are at least, and aside from UI prettiness improvements what else can/do 1.0 updates offer? I'd love to dismiss the stupid update nag forever, but it looks like that's not possible :(

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

You can deny firmware updates for as long as you can stand it. Unless it's an emergency, Tesla won't force you to update (yet).

It's unlikely AP1 will get any additional functional updates at this point.

I'm with you. I'm halting on version 2018.18 before the 30-second nags for as long as I can possibly stand it or Tesla will allow. But at some point, if I take the car in for it's last annual service next Spring, they will update the firmware anyway. So it's a ticking time bomb until I'm forced to update it.

I definitely DO NOT LIKE the new direction they are heading with Version 9, with the Nav screen permanently on the top 60% of the screen, and just one app of your choice on the bottom. You can no longer say, have the Media player on top, and the backup camera on the bottom. But you can play some MAME games! Wow! <heavy sarcasm>

Come to think of it, I can think of two people who might be able to connect to our cars and permanently disable the FW update nag screens without voiding our warranty or angering the gods. I wonder how much they'd charge for such a service?

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. bhawkins4194

bhawkins4194 Member

Honestly its not that bad, I just keep a knee on the wheel and that seems to work pretty well. All it needs is some force on it when it turns to think your hand is on it.

4. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

I have noticed improvements with the latest update. On highway overpasses, AP1 knows how fast it can go to make that turn and lowers its speed accordingly.

5. mblakele

mblakele pre-jackpot member

I gave in and updated. The new nag scheme isn’t too bad for me, and I like the new color scheme for maps

6. Hazelwood

Hazelwood Member

Mblakele,

Definitely get the give in part. I guess your answer is the reason I have no desire to update. I gain pretty colors but am punished with increased nagging. I don't expect they're touching actual useful features anymore, so we'll only gain anything used to scold us.

I do like Hank's idea of permanently removing the dialogue :)

• Like x 1
  7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Do you mean while on TACC and taking an exit ramp off of a highway? There's a whole thread on that and it's not new, it happens on my car with 2018.18.

8. Naonak

Naonak Member

#8 Naonak, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    It is that bad... it's even so bad that my wife started ranting about it. When my wife bitches about a feature like that, I know the "feature" is complete garbage. She doesn't complain about anything (total Tesla fangirl, Elon does no wrong... except seatbelt and visors for short people, but I digress), but man, she took a road trip a couple weeks ago and was cussing up a storm about AP and said she finally gets what I was bitching about.

I agree with her... the nags are unconscionable. I've never even considered a nag defeating device before, but I am now. If it doesn't improve in the next update, I'll be looking at making a 3D printed one for anyone to download and use. The nags basically make AP unusable on long road trips. By unusable, I mean you might as well not use it, as it doesn't help out at all, and in fact adds to the driver load with the constant beeping no matter what you do, unless you are literally steering anyway... at that point, there's no point in using AP, I'm already doing the driving to keep the nags at bay.

This is not what I paid for and I want my AP money back, honestly.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

Don't you mean lose pretty colors? I thought the new maps were just all grey.

10. Hazelwood

Hazelwood Member

Oh maybe I do mean lose. I didn't upgrade, not sure what I'm missing. I'm hoping they come out with some cool awesome feature so I'd have to upgrade.

Honestly, if it's even possible, I'd love to see a customer 3rd party update solution for AP1 that takes advantage of all of the mobile eye functionality that exists already.

11. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I also would love a thirdy-party custom firmware, something like LineagOS is for Android devices. I'm sure the legal and technical hurdles are possibly insurmountable, though. It would be nice to have the icon bar not auto-gide again. I'd pay for just that. :)

• Love x 1
  12. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

For me, I don't drive AP any different today (with recent software...2018.32.2) than I have for the last almost-3-years that AP1 has been available. No nags, with the same driving position (left hand hanging from the steering wheel near the bottom). I want to feel what the autosteer mechanism is doing (I suppose this generates some of the torque to prevent nags)...also I gently wiggle the wheel every few minutes because I want to feel that autosteer is still engaged. This is way less work than me actually driving manually.

AP1 is still great for me, and still a game-changer for long-distance freeway driving. I'm not saying my experience is any more valid than yours, just that it's been (very) different.

Bruce.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Autopilot 1 is still improving, but not a lot. I just got 34 and I noticed the car reacting to my coming up on a slower car a significantly greater distance away . Deceleration was more gradual too. Other things are improving also. As far as nags, I never get them as I keep a hand on the wheel.

14. AustinP

AustinP Member

Agree with you. Before the new nag enforcement, I indeed would rest my hands on my laps, and more than once, it did happen that the car would react brutally and this required me to promptly grab the steering wheel... with a brief delay. Fortunately without consequences.
    Now, having like Bruce one hand loosely on the wheel (near the bottom) makes that if I am distracted from the road, if anything happen and the car moves abnormally, I react much more quickly.
    It is in my experience a very little constrain for a much improved safety.
    And in the end a relaxed journey.

15. Hazelwood

Hazelwood Member

Didn't mean for this to turn into an autopilot nag session, but it was bound to some as that was the reason I don't upgrade and what made me wonder why upgrade anymore.

Honestly for me, I do keep my hand on the wheel all of the time because I still don't fully trust it. Also, don't understand how someone runs into a huge firetruck, but I digress. When I normally drive, without AP, I use a light touch. With AP, to satisfy a computer looking for something it's pretending it can detect (car has no idea of my hands are on the wheel...be honest now) I have to apply pressure against the wheel to fool it into thinking my hand is on the wheel (again be honest it doesn't know if my hand is on the wheel, it could be a bottle of coke dangling from the steering wheel for all it knows). That pressure can get irritating sometimes and is not natural. I apply much less pressure when I drive without AP. Nothing better than fighting your car. Sure some people concede to the pressure required, but I'd throw out try applying that much pressure with it off and see where your car goes.

Now, back to my primary purpose of the thresd. Would love to see development with AP1, but assuming it's over. Hoping some cool feature pops up later that motivates me to upgrade, but removing the option to control the top and bottom of the display isn't gonna do it.

16. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Put the Nav/map on the bottom panel.. No auto-hiding!

17. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Reasons to update:

- TACC (distance regulation and radar interpretation) still seems to get tweaked from update to update, even if Autosteer performance isn't changing
    - Once in a while they change the format of the Autopilot ADAS tiles and move its URLs. If you don't update, you might are going to use older versions of them.

Whether or not any of that matters? I don't know.

18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

When you have people like in the video below driving AP... you can see how someone can run into a huge firetruck.

19. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

#19 Russell, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Not exit ramps but over passes/flyovers. With TACC & Autosteer on, if I have the speed set to 70mph, Autopilot gradually slows down the car to a speed which it can make the turn (while staying nicely centered in the lane), then gradually accelerates to my set speed after finishing the turn.
    It's smoother now than before.

20. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

It feels likely that whatever improvements we as AP1 owners will get are going to be limited to those that apply to all cars (or at least all Model S/X) regardless of AP version.

Only you can decide for yourself what constitutes a compelling feature. For some people, the new PIN to drive might be important. Other people might be motivated by the "new navigation". Still others might want to upgrade for the upcoming Atari Easter Egg (for the record I'm not one of them). Pretty much the only thing you can do is follow along with the firmware threads here, or the various articles on other Tesla news sites, to see what an upgrade to the latest would do for you.

Bruce.

• Like x 2