Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is 2.0 supposed to be out soon? Seems like it should be about time. It seems like it will go from just highway driving to more and more complicated city driving as time goes by.

Is 2.0 supposed to be out soon? Seems like it should be about time. It seems like it will go from just highway driving to more and more complicated city driving as time goes by.

I think we will get some new features for sure but I don't think they will be 'complicated'. I do believe (and I believed Elon hinted that) to do much more, newer and better sensors/radar/cameras are needed.

I suspect the model 3 vehicles will have better sensors than the S or X and perhaps have better autopilot features?

I think we will get some new features for sure but I don't think they will be 'complicated'. I do believe (and I believed Elon hinted that) to do much more, newer and better sensors/radar/cameras are needed.

I suspect the model 3 vehicles will have better sensors than the S or X and perhaps have better autopilot features?
No, Musk said that the S and X will always have the higher end newest cutting edge technology over the 3.

The expectation almost half a year ago now when Elon said we'd have traffic light and stop sign reaction (not to be confused with recognition) within the year was that those features would be achievable with AP1.0. Nobody followed up to confirm at the time.

Well, since those words were quoted, we've got a new tri-camera and of course the release date for AP2.0 grows closer. Whether AP2.0 is announced this October or next summer is I suppose dependent upon the maximum capabilities of AP1.0. Either way, expect to see AP2.0 in the new S/X first.

No, Musk said that the S and X will always have the higher end newest cutting edge technology over the 3.

It seems likely to me that the 3 will have better sensors than the S & X have now... But that won't be until over a year from now.

Remember that we have a few weeks before the M3 is even finalized, much less getting manufactured. I'm sure by the time the 3 starts rolling off the factory floor in the middle of next year S&X will have already started shipping the updated sensors. Presumably after the hinted before-the-end-of-the-year announcement Elon eluded to at Code.

That would make his statement about the higher end getting the tech first still true.

My understanding is the goal is to make sure that they have a nearly full or full autonomous system by the time the M3 is out, making it a grand slam. But it doesn't make sense to wait for the M3 to release updates to the system, plus it wouldn't be very fair to the S and X buyers so I'm sure they'll release it when it's ready. Although if a hardware improvement is necessary I could see them waiting to start including that until it's roughly in line with the M3 rollout to really shock people, Tesla still doesn't really do advertising after all.

It'd be cool to know when they plan to do a 2.0 update or something though, next month, next year? Seems like a big window.

Last edited:
For version 2.0, it really needs to be location-aware with historical road data to slow down at curves and unknown obstacles. You can't rely on just real-time data like what we have now. With location-awareness, you can anticipate the road condition and adjust ahead of time. Otherwise, you might end up having a similar accident because the sensors might have interpreted things wrongly but it could not cross-reference historical data to spot the discrepancy and act accordingly.

(In the Autopilot accident case, the sensors recognized the truck as a overhead sign. But with location-awareness, it would know that it's in an intersection with no overhead sign so it would need to brake for the unknown obstacle)

Reactions: larmor