TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot 2.0 hardware rumored this year on EyeQ3, article link enclosed - 8 cameras!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Nov 3, 2015.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

There goes my $2,000 referral discount and $2,500 California EV credit - but if waiting 6 more months means buying a car with all the hardware necessary for much more capable autonomous driving for the next decade then I'll just have to wait.

Seriously - Elon doesn't stand still long enough for anyone to catch their breath.

Supplier hints at next generation Autopilot hardware for Tesla as soon as this year | Electrek

"But Aviram said that some customers were pushing the company for more applications:
    “The appetite of the OEMs we work with is growing and the first application is going to be much wider than what we planned. We see acceleration of the development and needs of our customers to present much more sophisticated systems.”
    The CEO described the “more sophisticated system” saying that one OEM is already implementing it in a vehicle:
    “Today we are already preparing with one of the OEM, a first vehicle based on 8 cameras, one radar and ultrasonic around the vehicle. So this is much wider implementation of the first introduction of semi-autonomous driving and the trifocal is going to be here as we planned, but additional 4 cameras around the vehicle and one camera looking back. The system will run on 5 EyeQ3 chips and all of them will be connected.”
    Aviram didn’t disclose which automaker is testing the system, but he hinted it could find its way into a commercial product as soon as this year and we know that Tesla has been testing a similar hardware suite."

2. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

More likely the OEM is Mercedes imo

3. Soolim

Soolim Member

Bring it on Tesla. I will gladly pay for more cameras.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

oh boy. can't wait to hear all the whining from all the pissed off owners that just picked there car that's suddenly outdated again.

5. tstafford

tstafford Member

No, no. We've learned that just because the hardware is there and ready doesn't mean the software is!!

6. rcarpen22

rcarpen22 Member

I guarantee that this rumor is true because I just ordered my car. My guess is that it will start being packed into new builds the day after my car is produced, which will be sometime in early December. You're welcome:) Seriously though, even if this was confirmed before my order finalizes, I wouldn't cancel. Autopilot 1.0 is more than adequate for me. Every day that goes by that I either drive my diesel tank or ride the commuter bus, I lose a little more of my soul. Can't wait to get my car!!!

7. sitter_k

sitter_k Member

Sensors first then 1yr later they are operational.

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

operational but buggy, you want non-buggy? that's another year.

9. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Are they able to do Level 3 autonomous with 5 EyeQ3 chips? I was under the impression that you need EyeQ4 for that.

10. krnshh

krnshh Member

Just listening in to Mobileye's conference call now. They pretty much invariably confirmed that Tesla is next to have the 8 camera system and that will help enable full autonomous driving. So next up will be a hardware upgrade to 8 camera system and then software updates all the way.

On Deep learning and Auto pilot is self improving. Mobileye is not part of the self learning. Mobileye have their own massive database that builds on a wider scope of scenes, scenarios and geographical roads and is much bigger than Tesla's. They have data from all automakers as opposed to Tesla.

11. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Maybe this is why Model X launch is delayed, they are trying to hide 7 more cameras into the car somewhere.

12. mn4az

mn4az Member

The CEO described the “more sophisticated system” saying that one OEM is already implementing it in a vehicle:
    “Today we are already preparing with one of the OEM, a first vehicle based on 8 cameras, one radar and ultrasonic around the vehicle. So this is much wider implementation of the first introduction of semi-autonomous driving and the trifocal is going to be here as we planned, but additional 4 cameras around the vehicle and one camera looking back. The system will run on 5 EyeQ3 chips and all of them will be connected.”
    Aviram didn’t disclose which automaker is testing the system, but he hinted it could find its way into a commercial product as soon as this year and we know that Tesla has been testing a similar hardware suite.

Oh boy.. I have 72 hours to decide if I want to push my production date of my 70d out until March/April before I am locked into December. What would you do?

13. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I would buy your car now. It will take a while to integrate 8 cameras...

14. Max*

That depends. Does the Model S do everything you want it to do now? If so, hit order. If not, then wait for something SPECIFIC. If you're going to continue waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll never have a Model S. They improve the car weekly.

15. Soolim

Soolim Member

Now I understand why Tesla did not use the Mobileye software, and chose to be a tier 1 partner. Tesla wants to deploy the deep learning. This will be the differentiator for good or bad. I hope for GOOD.

16. Doug Darby

Doug Darby Member

Unless you are already driving a Tesla I would never delay the purchase based on how much I love driving mine.

17. Max*

It took them 1 year to integrate 1 camera (maybe 2 if we're using the rear one). So, let me break out the calculator, carry the 1, divide by 2, we're looking at roughly 4-8 years! ;)

18. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

That would be about the only thing that would cause me to forgive Tesla for the delay...

19. Soolim

Soolim Member

I think it will be sooner than model 3. Therefore sometime in August 2018 give or take several months:wink:

20. Max*

Elon, is that you?

Though 3 years is a tight schedule, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'd go for early 2020 for Tesla to get Level 3 Autonomous.