TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot 2.0 Limitations - Is this normal or should I take it in?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by wallstguy, Apr 22, 2017.

1. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

So I've had my new X for about a week now and have put around 1,000 km (600 mi) on it - 80% highway driving - 20% city

I'm on 8.1 and I read the notes, says I should be able to drive at 130km/hr after a couple days of the car seeing clear line markings etc. to calibrate the camera. I called up my service centre and the person there said it should be good to go after about 200km, and if not, maybe to bring it in.

Since getting the car, I haven't been able to get it to do more than 50km/hr (30mi/hr) in the city or 90km/hr (55mi/hr) on the highway, and it hasn't changed at all.

Going from AP 1 to AP 2 I thought I'd be seeing huge improvements, instead the car keeps deciding to randomly brake every time it sees an overhead sign, or even street lights and makes me not even want to use it anymore.

After checking the release notes I also noted it states the car can have Summon enabled by pressing the "parking" button twice on the gear shift, or by holding down the top of the key fob.

Neither of the above 2 things work for me. I can only use summon by continuously holding the forward/reverse on my phone. Anyone know how to fix this one?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

All I can say is the loaner I had with 12 miles on it yesterday worked perfectly for TACC and Autosteer worked up to 34 MPH on local roads and on highways where I didn't go over 70 MPH (didn't get to the top of, I believe 85?). This was with 8.1/17.14.23 and within about 20 minutes of enabling the settings for AP.

What firmware are you running?

On Summon:
    And 'pressing Park' twice unlocks the doors, usually. Let me check that doc....

Edit: So, it does say that, but it also says 'US and Mexico only'. I've seen other threads where some Summon/all Summon functions aren't available 'elsewhere'.

I think one option is to use the Tesla app or the Remote S app, perhaps?

• Informative x 1
  3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Go into the settings and turn off the continuous press option? (Assuming it is available in your country, I sort of thought the fob only summon option was only in the US.)

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I don't know about US only, but I do know that the Canadian we had at the show a couple weeks ago couldn't do summon except by the phone continuous press, so I think it's restricted in Canada.

5. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

I know you said you've got 8.1, but this sounds like you don't yet have the latest update: 8.1 (17.14.23)

Yeah, it's a little twitchy right now.

Settings > Driver Assistance > Summon > Customize > Require Continuous Press > No

But... US only.

6. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

I'm on 8.1/17.14.23.

So I guess that means auto steer is still only up to 35mph on local roads for AP2?

What seems off from the looks of it is the highway speed where mine is limiting me to 90km/hr (55mph)

Ah ok hopefully comes to Canada soon!

7. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Car shows 17.14.23

8. Doubletap67

Doubletap67 Member

If you attempt to initiate autosteer above 90 km/h (the wheel icon isn't showing i assume from your initial message), do you get a message instructing you to contact Tesla Service for Manual Calibration?

9. boaterva

Definitely 35 mph. I watched the 'ok to enable autosteer' steering wheel go away as I crossed 35!

10. rush6410

rush6410 Member

I am not sure for Canada, in the US 35 mph for local roads and 80 mph for highways. But, for highways, it must be an interstate highway. There is a highway close to where I live that is not an interstate and will not enable autosteer or 35 mph. The hwy limit is geofenced to approved roads determined by Tesla.

11. boaterva

I define highway as 'divided' (median between opposing lanes of traffic), but who knows what makes the list, as you say!

12. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Hmm I'll have to check that out next time, I get an error just never paid attention to what it said. I guess being used to AP1.0 I just assumed it was an "auto steer not available" error.

What I drive on are definitely considered highways (I.e. The 18 lane 401 ). Any of the 400 series highways in Ontario are similar to what you guys down south call interstates. The car lets me get up to 90km/hr on this (55mph) but that's about it

13. rush6410

rush6410 Member

In a major city like Houston you would think a major hwy like I-69 would be enabled. No...35 mph is it. But all others are enabled. So, someone at Tesla is settling the limits.

14. RRM998

RRM998 Member

The high speed auto steer is only available on those roads that Google Maps defines as "limited access." Meaning you can only get on or off the road via an entrance/exit lane.

• Informative x 2
  15. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Just confirmed....getting the message to contact Tesla....Does this mean it won't be able to calibrate itself? I had an appointment to take it in for a couple delivery issues for this coming Friday so I guess its not too bad. Just relatively small issues (I.e. wheel alignment seems off - car pulls to the left, and centre console was badly scratched at delivery)

[​IMG]

16. Doubletap67

Doubletap67 Member

They need to adjust your camera pitch angle, calibration won't complete by itself. I attached an image of the invoice for the work performed on my car in the AP unavailable thread. Search for "cruise not available".

17. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Couldn't find that thread but thanks, I'll call up the SC to let them know in advance about the camera pitch

18. Doubletap67

Doubletap67 Member

• Helpful x 1
  19. Labradordriver

Hi - I am not sure if this is the correct place to post?

I picked up Model X on June 19 and the autopilot features calibrated in about 200kms or a little less. The majority of this driving was all highway with excellent road markings.

I was told that the autopilot reads the speed limit and displaces it on the instrument panel. I am in Canada and the display does not agree with the posted speed limit. From my basic calculation, it is reading the signs and assumes they are in Mike's and then converts them to kms and displays this result on the instrument panel. For example, if the maximum speed is 100kms posted, the instrument panel is displaying maximum speed 161 which 100 mph converted to kmph.

Does anyone know if this is being worked on? Not a concern as it appears to only be information at this point in time and from what I can tell has no effect on autopilot, maybe because I am not close to it's displayed maximum speed!

A different issue, yesterday when I was driving home on the highway using autopilot, I was using the lane change assist function when it gave me a warning and dropped out and instructed me to take over. This was not an issue. The message I was getting was Autopilot was temporarily unable. After about 20-40kms it returned. However, I could not get the lane change asset to work - any thoughts or suggestions?

20. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

^On the sign reading. AP 2 does not yet read signs. (Unless the latest update which I do not yet have changes this). It seems to be using GPS based speed limits for me.

Never seen the car think KM = Mi only to convert.

On the second issue, that is probably a one off on the drop out, and the drop out causes other features not to work.

So far, for me at least, lane changes only work on highways.