Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 Not Imminent Based On Production Model X Design Studio [Speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still tend to think the 360 cameras would be the first step, to expand capability while still in semi-autonomous operation.

No car currently in operation has redundant steering equipment or fail-proof computers for any aspect of operation that I'm aware of, and the only car with any sort of redundant power train is the dual motor Model S/X - and even then it is only for certain failures of the front motor only.

I think Elon may be setting an excessive standard considering the state of the industry - but if he can manage it at a reasonable price I won't complain.
Walter

I agree. I also think that they're taking it one step at a time and dual cameras should allow for use of autopilot through intersections -- a lot sooner than other redundancy requirements -- hopefully.

I'm not so sure dual cameras in the center of the windshield are enough for autopilot through intersections. If you look at how the supposed dual-camera setup is mounted on the X, it's similar to the current Model S. If you walk around the car, as I've done on the Autopilot 1.0 hardware, you'll see the lens becomes obscured by the sides of the housing well before 180 degrees. Essentially giving it blinders at the sides. If you're sitting at a red light and it turns green, you need to be looking nearly 180 degrees in both directions. But a recessed 180 degree camera can't do that. A car coming at 50mph won't be visible with enough time to react. It would need to be right against the windshield. Or, you'd need a cluster of three cameras, with one forward and two aimed slightly to each side.