TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot 2.0 test hardware sighting?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dlv1984, Mar 17, 2016.

1. dlv1984

dlv1984 Amp'd

Sorry if this is a repost, but it's new to me: from Reddit
    8yyaIls.jpg
    Qrbfmxx.jpg
    uulAUJc.jpg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Somebody testing something, but not necessarily Tesla doing it.

That thing on the mirror has gotta be horrible for drag.

3. anxman

anxman Member

It would help to know if the car had MFG plates on it. Given the height, the side mirror looks more like a camera to me than it does lidar.

4. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I saw a bosch crew doing similar tests on BMWs in CO last month.

6. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

That side-view mirror looks oddly well made (seamlessly integrated) and not some bolt-on test device like the front/rear bumpers are. The camera portion seems to pop up from the integrated housing. Normally these test bits are bolted on... the mirror is a little too nice?

• Like x 1
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That does look like a test car with additional sensors. Where was it spotted?

8. dlv1984

dlv1984 Amp'd

The OP in the Reddit thread says it was seen in SF

9. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

Tesla improving safety, extra bumpers and another cupholder on the mirror ;)

• Like x 1
  10. Jool

Jool Member

Very, very interesting. The LIDAR pucks on the side mirrors look a little too well-built to be made by a random third party. But the car seems to have regular plates, not the manufacturer plates you normally see on these test cars.

Exciting stuff :)

11. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

#11 AEdennis, May 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
  12. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

I couldn't find a picture fast enough last night to illustrate the point, but surely someone has a ride-height comparison photo with both an S and X side-by-side to validate my theory that the second fascia chunk is for X testing?

The other common question has been, how do we know this is Tesla?

Answer: We don't. But that fascia is BRAND new and already heavily modified (which suggests the operators have had additional time to do those modifications) so the rarity of that body part suggests Tesla or a very closely related supplier. Again, my theory, pure speculation.

13. pgh70D

pgh70D Member

That seems awfully crude for a prototype so far from the Bay Area, unless as you say it is a supplier's car. What kind of license plate was on the car?

14. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

15. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Hey "pgh70D"-- you join our local Facebook group yet? If not... you should. Link on my blog.

My friend stumbled across this car while about 20 minutes before the puck dropped on last night's VICTORIOUS Penguins game and he was probably a 19.5 minute drive from home so... priority was with the hometown team, not this questionably modified S. He didn't realize the significance of it until after he sent me the pictures and I got a bit excited.

So we don't have any plates/interior pictures, just the ones posted on the Teslarati article.

HOWEVER, it has been brought up by another FB group member that prior to the current Autopilot they had stumbled across a similar prototype at the same Supercharger. The team then was less tight-lipped and volunteered that they WERE, in fact, driving across the country because the system needed to adapt/understand the various regional variations in road markings. So there is some precedent.

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

The sensors on the original pictures look a bit like what they have on the Google self driving Lexus SUVs...
    gooogleself1.png

17. pgh70D

pgh70D Member

Sure, it wouldn't surprise me in general if they are doing cross-country tests. What I find odd in this case is specifically how much of a hack job the setup is. Seems pretty susceptible to damage on a long trip (not to mention super ugly to look at).

18. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Thanks...

Too fast clicking links that I searched when I read article that I accidentally posted the thread itself. Reported to Mods with the right link, so hopefully they fix that for me, otherwise...

Like you said... Here's the right link.

• Like x 1