Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot 2.0 Updates Pending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's Autopilot is reportedly getting a huge update
The AutoPilot 2.0 updates will apparently include a new sensor suite that will enable "level 3 autonomous driving" and potentially level 4 fully autonomous driving in the near future.

Any idea when? I heard they were adding this week larger casings for the "Tri-Focal Camera" and maybe also new radar on the four corners of the car... I just traded my P85 in for the 90 and its suppose to be coming next week but not if.... see attached article: http://jalopnik.com/teslas-next-version-of-autopilot-may-go-fully-autonomou-1785213775

This could be all hype. Tesla recently announced they are breaking relations with the Israeli MobilEye manufacturer and that they will be making their own hardware in house. This either means they have their own hardware ready, or that they will be using MobilEyes new hardware, or they don't have anything ready yet, and new updates are still a ways out. Given that Elon called MobilEyes technology "out-dated", I don't see Tesla purchasing the new system from them. I also don't think Tesla could have made they own system in house fast enough to get it to market this year. Based on that, I think this is fluff and we won't be seeing new hardware in 2016. I could be wrong, in fact I'd love to be, I just don't see how tesla could have built this in house so quickly.

The "wired" source is electrek, whose source is:

"Sources with knowledge of the Autopilot program"

which in most likelihood means TMC.

There is no new information here.

Author of the article. I often source content from TMC, but when I do, it's always mentioned and linked in the article. When it;s not, it's because it's not from TMC.

Before claiming that it is, can you at least point me to a TMC thread stating that new camera housing are going in the Model S this week?

Author of the article. I often source content from TMC, but when I do, it's always mentioned and linked in the article. When it;s not, it's because it's not from TMC.

Before claiming that it is, can you at least point me to a TMC thread stating that new camera housing are going in the Model S this week?

Can you edit your articles?....if so this sentence: "We reach out to Tesla for a comment on this report earlier this morning, but we didn’t get an answer. We will update if we do".

Should say "reached out" not "reach out"

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: FredLambert

Keep up the great work @FredLambert, your website is a daily read for me.

Thanks for posting Fred. I hope you are right about the new hardware. Any new tech is good for Tesla and we all want to see them succeed. If it is true, does it mean that their relationship with MobilEye isn't over yet?

The relationship is not completely over. Tesla has an important fleet of vehicles using Mobileye's EyeQ3 chip and they want to keep improving on the system. 8.0 will be one example of that and they could likely push it a little further, though they are approaching the limits of the current hardware.

What they said is that they will not continue any development after Tesla discontinues the EyeQ3 chip in the next gen Autopilot, while it was previously thought that Tesla would use EyeQ4, then EyeQ5 etc., but now they say they won't.

In the article, I mentioned Mobileye's trifocal camera constellation, but like I also mentioned, it's not exactly Tesla's new front-facing camera system. Tesla has been using this system to develop the next gen so it will likely be similar to it, but not exactly it.

It's just funny how people call it AP 2.0 when the current version is officially still considered beta (meaning not even 1.0).

I understand what you mean, but make no mistake. When Elon says that he is using the word "beta" in wide releases not in the traditional software development sense of the word, but to make sure owners stay vigilant, he is not lying. Those features have been thoroughly tested in internal beta programs and some features were also tested in closed external beta programs (EAP).

Keeping the word "beta" in some of the released features is just an unconventional layer of security.

• Helpful
Reactions: ModelX and EinSV