Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 Upgrade for Exisiting Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure a retrofit will be possible. Whether it will be financially reasonable is another story. I still get so surprised by people that feel the vehicle they paid for will no longer satisfy their needs after a new version comes out. It's still a terrific car that manages 60-80% of my driving needs without my need for intervention. 2.0 will be great, but not necessary. I would think for my 2015 it would be a cost that I could never get back out of the car. The VIN would never state that was original equipment too. I wonder if that would make it even more difficult to recoup?

My S is the first car I've ever leased, and it was for the sole reason that it was a snapshot in tech at the time. The Model 3 will be purchased for the tax incentives and will be equipped with the 2.0 hardware. But it won't be Level 4 autonomous, and I'm totally fine with that. I would never upgrade the hardware. I'd just sell the car and buy another I guess.

Retrofit? The SC's sure seem to be too busy as it is. I imagine a retrofit appt. will take a year to get one. :)
I changed my S to a lease just yesterday, a few days before delivery for a number of reasons but this news has me feeling better about it. 3 years no regrets and see what they have done 3 years from now

Reactions: JimmyAZ
I agree with you, Chopr147. If I upgrade my cell phone almost every year, why wouldn't I want to upgrade all the tech in my car? When I worked for Toshiba's laptop mfg plant in CA, the lifecycle was 12 months meaning the top of the line laptop in January was the worst model in December. I see no reason why the cameras, processors, and other tech would be any different in this car, not to mention laser headlights, LED tech, interfaces, curved displays, etc.

I seriously doubt there will be a retrofit. There was no retrofit when they added autopilot 1.0 and this version has even more hardware. Don't get your hopes up unless they've been installing the wiring harnesses all along. Even then you'll probably have to have several body panels replaced if they are adding radars in other places.

I think it will be $2,500 or less... otherwise they will have a lot of owners canceling their orders and pushing off a month or two...
The smart thing to do is to quietly start including the new hardware in vehicles for a few months before making any sort of announcement. That's how they've handled it in the past. That should prevent order cancellations.

The smart thing to do is to quietly start including the new hardware in vehicles for a few months before making any sort of announcement. That's how they've handled it in the past. That should prevent order cancellations.
Agreed. If they offer a retrofit, it'll be unlike Tesla to make it just as cheap as the original option.

My money is on a price bump, like they did with the S facelift. That increase makes the owners who got the car before the hardware change feel at least a little better about their situation. Also, surely there's more cost involved with the extra hardware.

I think it will be $2,500 or less... otherwise they will have a lot of owners canceling their orders and pushing off a month or two...
When parking sensors were introduced in the summer of 2013 Tesla wanted ~$6000 to retrofit our "classics", they claimed they couldn't just drill holes into our bumpers to install the sensors but new ones needed to be ordered blah blah blah, be prepared to write a large check if a retrofit is offered.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Being that the AP 2.0 will be run by a more powerful dedicated chipset, it is highly unlikely that there will be a retrofit available at a reasonable price. If there was a plan all along to include this new hardware into existing cars there might be a plug and play solution that can be added to the existing system, I'm skeptical.

Reactions: ohmman

LOL! Or did you mean $25,000?

I got a Model S in August of 2013 right before the folding side mirrors.

The retrofit for new folding side mirrors was $2700.00 (I declined)

AP 2.0 retrofits will not be available, in my opinion, unless Tesla by some miracle allowed for this with the existing design. Meaning they can just swap the existing camera for a new triple cam without new wiring, and add new radar with little new wiring.

If they are, they won't be less than $15k

However, if the Brown family succeeds in their lawsuit (if they file one), that could give Tesla some incentive to be more reasonable.