Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 Upgrade for Exisiting Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really want AP2.0 and I hope it's retrofittable. However, I suspect that it's not as simple as adding more sensors, and that they would need to upgrade the whole CPU (probably with latest NVidia chips) as well, since what's currently being delivered seems woefully underpowered. I read that the speculation is pointing to a dedicated CPU for AP2.0 (currently AP1.0 and infotainment share a CPU).

That would seem to indicate that either the upgrade will be extremely costly or Tesla will opt to not provide this upgrade.

Maybe once they deliver compelling 2nd row folding seats and a larger, 20700 battery pack, that will complete my trifecta of desired upgrades and it may be time for me to get a new, upgraded vehicle.

This Reddit post:
"Little birdie told me: new hardware installed in 45 days Xs and refreshed Model S capable of retrofit for $$ activation of new ver of AP still more than 180 days out"
(which some think might have come from EM)
suggests:
1) "new hardware installed in 45 days" - so mid Sept;
2) "Xs and refreshed Model S capable of retrofit for $$" -- suggests these models have the wiring harnesses and mounting spots for new hw. $$ might mean moderate cost.
3) "activation of new ver of AP still more than 180 days out" -- 6 months to the new sw.

I would suspect that there will be a new AP (1.5?) that can at least sample data from the new hw, and give data back to TM for there newer AP development.

Also, even the older hw will be enhanced by new AP software that uses the existing radar units to form 3d point clouds and enhance AP performance.

Reactions: Odebek
This Reddit post:
"Little birdie told me: new hardware installed in 45 days Xs and refreshed Model S capable of retrofit for $$ activation of new ver of AP still more than 180 days out"
(which some think might have come from EM)
suggests:
1) "new hardware installed in 45 days" - so mid Sept;
2) "Xs and refreshed Model S capable of retrofit for $$" -- suggests these models have the wiring harnesses and mounting spots for new hw. $$ might mean moderate cost.
3) "activation of new ver of AP still more than 180 days out" -- 6 months to the new sw.
This reddit post:

Any Crazy redditor said:
The moon landing was faked.

Not saying the birdie is wrong, just saying.. let's be careful getting too excited about that "evidence". Currently the more believable evidence is the historical record, and in that realm Tesla hasn't been terribly accommodating of old vehicles.

@ohmman -- Sorry, I was not suggesting that that Reddit post is anything more than rumour. However, it does seem to fit quite well with the other pieces of rumour and evidence running around.

We do know EM promised another Tesla event 'later this year' to do with AP and/or M3 (I think more likely AP) and we do know that the wiring diagram was included in a TM manual. The 100 battery appears to be in the offing. Combined event? I do think the M2 2nd reveal will be in the new year, to give them time to build the new prototypes.

So, I am not 'too excited', more 'hope for the best, plan for the worst'.

I really want AP2.0 and I hope it's retrofittable. However, I suspect that it's not as simple as adding more sensors, and that they would need to upgrade the whole CPU (probably with latest NVidia chips) as well, since what's currently being delivered seems woefully underpowered. I read that the speculation is pointing to a dedicated CPU for AP2.0 (currently AP1.0 and infotainment share a CPU).

That would seem to indicate that either the upgrade will be extremely costly or Tesla will opt to not provide this upgrade.

Maybe once they deliver compelling 2nd row folding seats and a larger, 20700 battery pack, that will complete my trifecta of desired upgrades and it may be time for me to get a new, upgraded vehicle.
The current speculation is for an upgraded camera module (2 or 3 cameras) and radar module. I believe that the current camera module has a processor built into it. Most likely the new module will also have a dedicated processor. If that is the case, upgrading the hardware could be simply done by plugging in the new modules. The existing wiring (power and communication) would be used.
The difficulty and expense of going from AP 0 to AP 1 was due to the need for new wiring (and bumpers).
The modules themselves are likely to be expensive but the installation should not be difficult.

There is still a remote chance they can upgrade. After all getting LTE was offered and involved accessing the MCU. Same for Ludicrous. AP v1 was impossible because of all the new parts and mechanical changes needed (electro-brake and steer). Now of course way more people may be in for an AP upgrade - dozen of thousands - so SC would struggle unless new refresh S and X were designed to make this 'easy' and integrated into a day for example during yearly service visit. Dreaming is cheap.

After the announcement that Mobile Eye and Tesla were parting ways, I thought the next gen of AP hardware was going to be at least 2017 since new chip designers weren't hired until 2/2016 and it would take them a while to design new chips in house.

This new Eletrek article tells me that Tesla has been planning to part ways well before the hiring of Keller. Therefore, they've had this current AP2 design in their plans before the refresh. The schematics from the refresh also include the extra wire harness, which also bodes well for a retrofit.

We don't know what's already in the cars. Perhaps there are already extra sensors in the rear bumper.

It won't be retrofittable, when they first had front and rear sensors it wasn't and it took a few creative owners to buy the parts themselves and fit themselves and then ask a SC nicely to add the feature. They haven't retrofitted anything in mass like this successfully and it's difficult enough getting a service appt.

It won't happen... Tech moves fast and becomes obsolete fast, there have been hundreds of changes and upgrades since the S first came out. How many retrofits?

Given the high-profile nature of the coverage of every Autopilot crash so far, I think they'd probably not offer a retrofit just for liability reasons. What if the retrofit isn't done to factory standard by the service center? Are they going to want to take that risk?