Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Drone Flyer

Feb 22, 2016
Canada
I've heard stories of Autopilot 2.0 coming out shortly. With the fatal crash in the States recently, the release of AP 2.0 could be even sooner.
I'm wondering if it will require another harness kit, which means only available on new cars made as of mid July 2016, or would it be a software update for existing AP cars?
If it means buying a new car in order to get AP 2. it could upset more than a few customers.

I don't know about AP 2, but Elon said that the future fully autonomous Teslas will need more cameras, sensors, etc and it doesn't make sense financially for them to offer upgrades to existing cars. So I've always prepared myself to upgrade to a new model in 2 or 3 years when they have the fully autonomous version.

I've heard stories of Autopilot 2.0 coming out shortly. With the fatal crash in the States recently, the release of AP 2.0 could be even sooner.
I'm wondering if it will require another harness kit, which means only available on new cars made as of mid July 2016, or would it be a software update for existing AP cars?
If it means buying a new car in order to get AP 2. it could upset more than a few customers.

There are about fifty threads on this already, and the fact is, no one knows anything.

It's fairly clear that Tesla will release a new version in the next couple years with lots of cameras and more radar to do fully autonomous driving. They may or may not introduce an intermediate version like the triple camera shown in the leaked schematics.

I would expect the triple camera to be upgradeable fairly easily if it shows up without many other changes. I wouldn't expect the multiple radar many camera to be offered for upgrade.

But again, no one outside Tesla knows for certain what they will release or when - and saying anything will cost Tesla people their jobs, so they don't.

Reactions: brkaus