Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Autopilot 2.0: retrofit to next gen sensors likely to be available for some owners
Quote from that article: "In conclusion. Tesla has everything in place to offer a retrofit, likely at a cost, for the new front-facing camera setup, and if the company feels ambitious, it could also offer new radar sensors, but it is less likely."

Since the (supposedly upcoming) 4 additional radars at each corner of the vehicle, behind the bumpers, would also require cable connections that are unlikely to be on existing AP 1.0 vehicles, I would phrase the possibility of an AP 2.0 retrofit as "very unlikely" for any Tesla unless the company has been covertly installing new AP 2.0 compatible wiring harnesses in recently produced cars.

Reactions: dehydratedH2O
One more, from Aug 12th:

"Sources with knowledge of the Autopilot program told us that the new suite will keep the current front-facing radar and add more around the car, likely one in each corner. Additionally, the system will feature a new front-facing triple camera system for which we are told Tesla started installing new housing in the Model S production this week."

Quote from that article: "In conclusion. Tesla has everything in place to offer a retrofit, likely at a cost, for the new front-facing camera setup, and if the company feels ambitious, it could also offer new radar sensors, but it is less likely."

Since the (supposedly upcoming) 4 additional radars at each corner of the vehicle, behind the bumpers, would also require cable connections that are unlikely to be on existing AP 1.0 vehicles, I would phrase the possibility of an AP 2.0 retrofit as "very unlikely" for any Tesla unless the company has been covertly installing new AP 2.0 compatible wiring harnesses in recently produced cars.

Are you referring to Model S or Model X? If you remove a Model X bumper, there is access to the harness. I'm not sure about current Model S'

Well, we know from the video last week that Tesla is installing one disconnected wire in (every?) Model X up near the front camera that looks like another camera wire. If they're doing that, it seems reasonable to assume they're also wiring for whatever additional radar they have planned...

Well, we know from the video last week that Tesla is installing one disconnected wire in (every?) Model X up near the front camera that looks like another camera wire. If they're doing that, it seems reasonable to assume they're also wiring for whatever additional radar they have planned...

There's always a disconnected wire under the speaker grille in US Model S that's used for an alarm system in EU models. I wonder if that's the disconnected wire in the X.

Likely more hidden radar/sonar, but I doubt they're going to start putting in visible hardware changes (more cameras) until they actually announce.
I'm not so sure. When we rec'd our car, there were cars already with new hardware and the person who walked us through the car features said that we had new tech on our car that others didn't. We learned 2 weeks later that we didn't when the announcement was official. Hopefully, they learned from that mistake. But I do think people have already received some new tech that will later serve for retrofits. Time will tell if other rumors are true and that cars being built now have new cameras. The $500 increase doesn't help in fueling these rumors.

I just met someone recently who mentioned he had an order in queue when AP 1.0 was first being installed and was given a call to ask if he wanted to spend an additional $500 to have the new hardware included. If AP 2.0 was being rolled out wouldn't we hear from current people with orders in queue about receiving phone calls?

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I was just told by my DS that the $500 increase in AP is due to "improvements"...I naturally asked if this was hardware related, not just software and he basically shrugged his shoulders...

This probably means the $500 extra is due to significant improvements in software version 8.0 that is imminent....

Hopefully they're installing the AP 2.0 harness and housings, so that an upgrade to AP 2.0 would be reasonable.

AP 2.0 is likely going to cost more than an additional $500, if they are also adding a new processor dedicated to AP.