Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot "2.5" hardware released. Available on all cars ordered today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Tesla has a new Autopilot ‘2.5’ hardware suite with more computing power for autonomous driving

Tesla still believes that it can achieve the promised full autonomy on the 2.0 suite, but they now say that they could upgrade HW 2.0 cars with the new 2.5 hardware at no cost in the “highly unlikely” possibility that it is actually needed:

“However, we still expect to achieve full self-driving capability with safety more than twice as good as the average human driver without making any hardware changes to HW 2.0. If this does not turn out to be the case, which we think is highly unlikely, we will upgrade customers to the 2.5 computer at no cost.”

The cars are advertised as hardware capable whether or not you buy the software. They are on the hook for all 70k+ HW2 cars.
Not necessarily. The hardware is there by default, but if the owner doesn't buy the software, then there's no need to automatically retrofit the hardware until the owner later decides to purchase the software. Some owners may never get EAP/FSD.

Not necessarily. The hardware is there by default, but if the owner doesn't buy the software, then there's no need to automatically retrofit the hardware until the owner later decides to purchase the software. Some owners may never get EAP/FSD.
This is simply not true. I bought a car that had the hardware. This is so simple to understand.

allfsd.jpeg

This is simply not true. I bought a car that had the hardware. This is so simple to understand.

View attachment 240727
Reread my post more carefully. I never said it didn't have the 2.0 hardware by default. Owners who have paid for EAP/FSD will get the 2.5 hardware retrofit. However, there's no need to automatically retrofit a 2.0 car with 2.5 hardware if the owner did not purchase EAP/FSD. Tesla is selling a capability that requires a combination of hardware and software. If you're choosing not to pay for the software, then by definition you don't have AP capability. You only have basic safety features and you don't need the 2.5 hardware for that basic capability; the existing 2.0 HW is able to handle that nicely. Should you or a subsequent owner decide to add EAP/FSD to the car, then Tesla will need to provide the 2.5 HW retrofit at that time because it's part of the overall AP capability being purchased.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bebop
That argument might work on a two year old. And I mean might.
It wouldn't be an "argument" if they simply changed the price to "more accurately reflect the value" or whatever they said before. They didn't promise you the FSD pricing, just the hardware would be there. They can change price at any time without mentioning the hardware.

I'm not saying I agree with it or not, just stating.

Reactions: BluestarE3
Based on estimated stats , Majority of 2.0 owners didnt purchase FSD (including me) . $3000 + $X would cost in future for FSD. Where $X would be directly related to , How much cost that it would take for Tesla to retrofit. Thought Tesla says today X is $1000 it need not be same in future.

By the way , my car just went to PRODUCTIon today. Not sure if its going to have 2.5 ?

Reactions: BluestarE3
Owners who have paid for EAP/FSD will get the 2.5 hardware retrofit.

Tesla says retrofits are highly unlikely, so it is more likely Tesla will try to make FSD work (well enough / at least on some level) on AP2 hardware rather than retrofit everyone. The retrofit option is just an emergency backdoor they'd rather not use, it seems.

Based on the linked article, the 2.5 hardware started going into cars when the Model 3 was officially launched (July 28?), so you should have it. You may want to verify with Tesla just to be 100% sure.

That is not what the article says, though. It does not even say cars built today get HW 2.5. All it says cars ordered today would get it.

We don't yet know what the transition/switchover period exactly is. It could be now or even later in the quarter when today's orders start getting built.