Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2020 , What is actually included ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will get Navigate on autopilot Inc autolane change which isn't in Europe due to regulations.

Plus summon which also has restrictions unfortunately

This is wrong unless it is an older car with EAP, and the OP specifically refers to AP 2020.

The Nav on AP does include lane change in the U.K., albeit not totally automatic, you still need to confirm the manoeuvre with the indicator stalk.

This is wrong unless it is an older car with EAP, and the OP specifically refers to AP 2020.

The Nav on AP does include lane change in the U.K., albeit not totally automatic, you still need to confirm the manoeuvre with the indicator stalk.
Just to be clear I have bog standard Autopilot which I though maintained distance, took slight bends and completely craps itself on roundabouts.
Are you saying this AP, if engaged on say a dual carriageway will auto move lane if I hit the indicator on (not just a three flash tap)?

He is talking about lane changes being part of navigate on autopilot (NoA), which is part of the FSD package.

Your current understanding of your autopilot is correct, although what you are doing using it near roundabouts mystifies me unless you are carrying passengers that you do not like ;)
Im just an old fashioned thrill seeker - red steering wheel icon makes me feel alive :eek::eek::eek::eek:;)

• Funny
Reactions: Gatsojon
Just to be clear I have bog standard Autopilot which I though maintained distance, took slight bends and completely craps itself on roundabouts.
Are you saying this AP, if engaged on say a dual carriageway will auto move lane if I hit the indicator on (not just a three flash tap)?

No. Bog standard AP and incorporated for "free" does this:

"Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane."

AP has never been approved for or should be used for negotiating roundabouts. It is adaptive cruise control with lane control, and can take sharper bends such as you might find on a dual carriageway, but sometimes will slow down significantly to do so.

Older cars (but not pre-facelift) have EAP which does this as well as the above:

• Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the motorway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: Automatically park and retrieve your vehicle.
In the UK the auto lane change still needs the driver to confirm by using the indicator stalk and Summon doesn't retrieve your vehicle. To get the above on new cars you need to buy the FSD option.

These following features are what you get if you buy the FSD option and are coming "soon"
  • Recognise and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
  • Enhanced Summon — your parked car will come find you in a car park.
For cars with EAP, e.g. mine, I can purchase the above coming "soon" features for £2,900. This also includes an upgrade to the AP chip, but not the MCU or upgrade the camera suite.

Hope that helps :)

Not sure if you are aware of this and whether it would help (sensor suite etc) - lots more dosh though...

Tesla Offers $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade

Thanks for the link, yes I am aware of that. TBH it adds nothing of value for me personally, even if it's available in the UK which I'm not sure it is. I have 11 months left on my current car, or 8 if I use the Voluntary Termination clause. As it stands at the moment I'll be handing it back or p/x / sale depending on the market and getting a shiny new S. That's the plan anyway, insofar as it's possible to make any at the moment. :(

The only good thing about the COVID-19 situation, and I'm really clutching at straws here, is my mileage has plummeted so the excess mileage charge is smaller than anticipated.

The 2017 MS we have just bought came with AP2 hardware but the dealer was vague about the AP functionality although to be fair to them they said none had been paid for by the original buyer. What we have found though is that it does have some ie keeping in lane and adaptive cruise but what it won't do is the auto lane change etc. On the app it seems to offer the basic summon although I have yet to test it. It also states that the only upgrade available is to FSD for the princely sum of £5800!

So we clearly don't have EAP which would have been the option with this vintage of car but what exactly do we have eg the equivalent of "standard AP" as sold with new cars? If so how has that happened?

The 2017 MS we have just bought came with AP2 hardware but the dealer was vague about the AP functionality although to be fair to them they said none had been paid for by the original buyer. What we have found though is that it does have some ie keeping in lane and adaptive cruise but what it won't do is the auto lane change etc. On the app it seems to offer the basic summon although I have yet to test it. It also states that the only upgrade available is to FSD for the princely sum of £5800!

So we clearly don't have EAP which would have been the option with this vintage of car but what exactly do we have eg the equivalent of "standard AP" as sold with new cars? If so how has that happened?

We're now into the murky world of what Tesla does and doesn't do, with their legendary lack of communication only bettered by the Service Centre's well meaning but largely uninformed staff.

I think you are right and they have enabled today's version of AP on your car. That would also tie in with the cost of FSD being £5.8k. It would be interesting to see if you could enable Summon or get an Autopark prompt, both of which shouldn't work with the new basic AP.

. It would be interesting to see if you could enable Summon or get an Autopark prompt, both of which shouldn't work with the new basic AP.

A bit delayed in replying but Summon does work or at least I can move the car slowly back and forwards slowly using the "summon" option on my phone app when I am standing close by the car - I assume that this is what standard Summon does? In addition, it looks like we have autopark - my partner managed to get this to work and she was very excited to tell me about it. When I tried I lost patience as you appear to have to drive past numerous spots where you could have parked before it shows up the parking option and I gave up trying. As a practical function is seems next to useless but it does mean that I remain puzzled with whatever variant of AP we have? More confusion today when I pulled up a reference to "Highway Autopilot" on the car display. I've never heard of Highway AP - only EAP and standard. I really have no idea what version of AP our car has.

A bit delayed in replying but Summon does work or at least I can move the car slowly back and forwards slowly using the "summon" option on my phone app when I am standing close by the car - I assume that this is what standard Summon does? In addition, it looks like we have autopark - my partner managed to get this to work and she was very excited to tell me about it. When I tried I lost patience as you appear to have to drive past numerous spots where you could have parked before it shows up the parking option and I gave up trying. As a practical function is seems next to useless but it does mean that I remain puzzled with whatever variant of AP we have? More confusion today when I pulled up a reference to "Highway Autopilot" on the car display. I've never heard of Highway AP - only EAP and standard. I really have no idea what version of AP our car has.

Yep, that’s standard Summon and Autopark, so I think you definitely have Enhanced Autopilot. If you log into My Tesla and “my details” do you see this:

Options

No Battery Performance

Enhanced Autopilot

If not, what do you see?

That's the puzzle you see - it doesn't do automatic lane change when you are driving in AP (which I think comes with EAP?) and under options it doesn't say EAP. What it says is "No battery performance" (what does this mean incidentally?) and $APPC. A quick google search on $APPC leaves me none the wiser - there are a couple of forum postings basically asking the same as me - what does this mean but no categoric answers. If you can tell me that would be great.