Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 3 announced for next year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, true... although I wonder if there might be some plumbing connected here; why upgrade MCU1 owners to MCU2 when an MCU3 is coming next year? At the moment, as far as we can tell, MCU2 only gives you a snappier browser (though I bet those Atari games will run like crap on it in v9)

AFAIK, it's not a new MCU which is coming next year, but a new AP computer. Those are two different computers.
In other words, if the current MCU Tesla is producing isn't updated before then, cars made starting sometimes next year will have MCU2 and AP3 instead of MCU2 and AP2.5 currently.

Purchasing FSD after the fact has always cost an additional $1,000. This is not new.

What MarkS22 meant is that Tesla recently increased the price of the FSD option by $1000 when bought after the original car purchase. Meaning it's now around $2000 more expensive than if you're buying it when ordering the car.

Couple thoughts. If they offer free upgrades to all the older cars, lots of owners will choose to pay for Full Self Driving when the computers are up to task. Might bring in enough cash to offset the cost of the new modules.

Tesla might also be able to just upgrade the chip sets to get enough improvement at a far less cost.

I still say, just invest the money you'd spend on the FSD option in TSLA. If they really do FSD, the capital gains will more than cover the post sales cost, if they don't, you'll lose less money than purchasing vaporware.
Teslas stock for the last year has been an up and down rollercoaster. I doubt you’d gain much investing in it at this time.

Plus I’m sure you can get a refund if tesla doesn’t deliver Full self Driving, which is something they never should have offered to begin with because full self driving doesn’t mean partial assists. Actual full self driving is many many years out and not only because of technology but because of government.
The government will have to figure out a way to make sure the roads are properly maintained for the cars to be able to see lines

So many roads I’ve driven on where you can’t see the lines they’re so faded.

As an AP1 owner you should have asked or sued for a refund if you did not receive all the features that were promised. Tesla made a contract with you for those features, and the promise of those features was a material inducement to buy. You have only yourself to blame here.

I am not the kind of person that needs to sue every time I feel like I deserved more. AP1 is great and worth the money.

And where on your contract does it say you will get your new HW? Or a date for FSD? So at least I could sue, you could not even do that.

• Love
Reactions: GSP
As an AP1 owner you should have asked or sued for a refund if you did not receive all the features that were promised. Tesla made a contract with you for those features, and the promise of those features was a material inducement to buy. You have only yourself to blame here.

As a practical matter, unless there is some liquidated damages agreement I'm not aware of, the "refund" would likely be $2500 in exchange for disabling all of Autopilot. Not a good deal IMO, even if the system is less than it was sold as.

Reactions: GSP and KyleDay
I am not the kind of person that needs to sue every time I feel like I deserved more. AP1 is great and worth the money.

And where on your contract does it say you will get your new HW? Or a date for FSD? So at least I could sue, you could not even do that.
You misunderstood my post, apparently. I was talking about people who bought AP1 and who did not receive all of AP1's promised features. Has nothing to do with new hardware or FSD. AP1 was sold with promised features that were never delivered.

As a practical matter, unless there is some liquidated damages agreement I'm not aware of, the "refund" would likely be $2500 in exchange for disabling all of Autopilot. Not a good deal IMO, even if the system is less than it was sold as.
I understand. I'm simply saying to those who are unhappy that they did not get all of the promised features of AP1, they could have pursued some sort of remedy with Tesla. The lesson here is never to buy on the promise of a feature, but on its delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyleDay and cynix
In light of the recent price hikes on paint and AWD, would it be better to drop the $3k now for FSD? After the fact FSD is $5000 (upped from $4000).

Do you think when all is set for FSD to be green lit for public usage, Tesla might hike it up more? I know, speculation, but throwing it out there.

• Helpful
In light of the recent price hikes on paint and AWD, would it be better to drop the $3k now for FSD? After the fact FSD is $5000 (upped from $4000).

Do you think when all is set for FSD to be green lit for public usage, Tesla might hike it up more? I know, speculation, but throwing it out there.

Personally I'd wait. It seems there are two main theories from the majority of folks on here... one is that FSD is going to be built on top of EAP and that the code for EAP and FSD will be the same with EAP just having the FSD features disabled. The other theory is that FSD is completely different code and is something we haven't seen before. Considering that some FSD features are supposed to be coming out in the next 4 weeks I think then we should be able to determine which theory is correct.

I'm of the mind that FSD features will be added to the current EAP code and those that paid for FSD will get to enjoy said features. Based on the progress of EAP so far and the thought of all the difficulties in fully automating a drive with no human intervention I feel that FSD is a long, long way off (at LEAST 10 - 15 years). So for me, thinking that I'll have a completely new car by the time FSD is ready (I keep cars for about 10 years and maybe I'll go through more than 1 before we see FSD) passing on paying for FSD now was a no brainer.

Personally I'd wait. It seems there are two main theories from the majority of folks on here... one is that FSD is going to be built on top of EAP and that the code for EAP and FSD will be the same with EAP just having the FSD features disabled. The other theory is that FSD is completely different code and is something we haven't seen before. Considering that some FSD features are supposed to be coming out in the next 4 weeks I think then we should be able to determine which theory is correct.

I'm of the mind that FSD features will be added to the current EAP code and those that paid for FSD will get to enjoy said features. Based on the progress of EAP so far and the thought of all the difficulties in fully automating a drive with no human intervention I feel that FSD is a long, long way off (at LEAST 10 - 15 years). So for me, thinking that I'll have a completely new car by the time FSD is ready (I keep cars for about 10 years and maybe I'll go through more than 1 before we see FSD) passing on paying for FSD now was a no brainer.

Good call and rationale. Thanks man! Convinced me not to drop another $3k!

My concern is that Tesla might load more advanced features, like the upcoming ramp-to-ramp, into FSD, leaving EAP as a lane following system.

Reactions: R.S
At this point, I don't believe we'll see Level 4/5 for years, but I think they'll start releasing some FSD features in the next few months.

"Some"? My FSD dollars are in my wallet, happy to come out at practically any cost, when I can get in the back seat after a couple of drinks and have it drive me home. That is what Full Self Driving means to me. Anything short of that is Tesla telling me someone's a little bit pregnant. You'll never get me to buy into that.

They have such a great product "as is" that it makes no sense to me why they oversell AP and FSD -- but they sure fooled me with that FSD video we saw how long ago now -- with the driver only in the seat due to regs? Yeah, right. But it got a lot of people to buy or upgrade. Now that's old hardware that apparently won't do what we saw in the video they showed us many month ago. I can't keep up.

but they sure fooled me with that FSD video we saw how long ago now -- with the driver only in the seat due to regs? Yeah, right.

That video was a fake in the sense that it wasn't FSD. The route they took on that video was chosen carefully by hand (to avoid difficult situations) and if I'm not mistaken they also had made changes to the code specifically for that route.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and Canuck

If you read Tesla's disclaimer for FSD in the Model 3 design studio, you can pay for the feature but may never actually receive it. Here is what it says:

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 2.42.49 PM.png

Are you feeling lucky? lol

For what it's worth, I have a Performance 3 coming in two weeks and I ordered FSD. At this point, I don't believe we'll see Level 4/5 for years, but I think they'll start releasing some FSD features in the next few months. Now with word of this new hardware, I'm much more comfortable that they'll be able to accomplish it.

I do think this is ultimately going to help their margins. In fact, I think the majority of owners will eventually upgrade when they finally see it working.

3 Tesla’s? Someone’s addicted....