TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot 8.0 fail - it lost control on very simple freeway situation today

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Oct 13, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Just a reminder that this thing is still not perfect. I was in the right hand lane on I-10 going east today between L.A. and San Bernardino. The freeway was "compressing" - the lane I was in gradually tapering to the left as the freeway lost one lane.

Suddenly, for reasons unknown to me the car bleeped out the emergency warning alarm and flashed "take control immediately" - it lost its confidence on where the right hand lane marker was and began drifting over the line toward the right hand concrete barrier.

The only thing I could think of was that there were some shadows making the right hand lane marker less distinct than it would have otherwise been, and this was a low-contrast section of freeway in general.

However otherwise I am finding 8.0 the last couple days to be rock solid on relatively low-contrast freeway situations with poor lane markings.

This is the first time in months that I've seen the "take control immediately" total autopilot failure happen.

2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Regular commute route?

Can you re-create the problem?

3. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I don't have a regular commute but I travel that stretch relatively frequently. I'll try it again tomorrow and see if it happens again. Actually, now that I am thinking about it, there is another "lane compression" stretch about 15 miles further east in Redlands where I have had the same problem a couple times. I can take photos.

4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

With your hands on the wheel I'm not sure I want to know how you press the shutter :D

• Funny x 1
  5. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Video might be the safer option; leaving you free to focus on driving - especially at the moment AP is drifting off mission.

It'll be interesting to see if it can learn this stretch of road over time.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

@calisnow: I have the same problem since 8.0. I have lost all trust in AP. It was so much better before with the original release and the second rev. It now wanders all over the place and does scary things.

#notf-inghappyanymore

7. chillaban

chillaban Member

Are all of you still on 2.36/2.38? I'm wondering if we will see an update that makes Autosteer bettter again. It seems like 8.0 did something that made Autosteer less reliable. I've complained a few times to Service now with specific road segments that show problems, and I'd recommend relaying your feedback if you feel strongly about this.

8. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Doesn't Autosteer have to learn the road over a number of trips in order to become better?

9. chillaban

chillaban Member

Yes and no. As far as anyone has been able to reverse engineer, AP does not learn directly from your previous drives. Instead, your experiences are collated with others' in the cloud and then everyone downloads the same fleet learning tiles as everyone else.

So indirectly, yes, it is very much possible that with 8.0 Tesla reset fleet learning and we are essentially rebuilding a years' worth of crowdsourced AP data... but it could just as easily be a bug in 8.0 that has nothing to do with fleet learning.

10. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Do we know if major hardware and/or software revisions require your car to relearn your routes?

Is it too soon to lose all faith in AP?

11. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I'm on 2.36.108

I have plenty of faith in AP and use it every time I drive. It's a miracle of modern engineering, and 8.0 still drives better overall than 7.1 in my opinion.