Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 8.0 lane offset not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

Overall I have been happy with Autopilot both with local trips and longer. One issue that I had that does not seem to be any better with Autopilot 8.0 is the lane offset of the vehicle. Lane offset is supposed to move the car away from other cars that are "crowding" your lane but only seems to do so in limited cases. For example today a lady was driving "by braille" and was rolling on top of the bumps in the lane markers. Autopilot held its position even though she was very close to the side of the car. On a recent trip I experienced this over and over. Any thoughts on this from the community? I did turn this feature on in settings.

Thanks!

Perry

This was a feature announced with great fanfare right at the start of AP, and with each version they re-announce it because it has NEVER worked right. Elon was so proud of the fact that your car would act like a human driver and offset you away from trucks in adjacent lanes, and yet many people have reported exactly the opposite, we even have a term for it on this site "truck lust".

I know Auto-pilot can't be easy to program, but this one feature, that is repeatedly wrong, and repeatedly re-announced with each revision, seems to be really causing them a lot of grief.

That's unfortunate because (as you already know) it causes many cringe worthy moments on the road both for trucks and drivers on cell phones! Thanks for the info. Love the car but still want to push for them to make improvements.

This was a feature announced with great fanfare right at the start of AP, and with each version they re-announce it because it has NEVER worked right. Elon was so proud of the fact that your car would act like a human driver and offset you away from trucks in adjacent lanes, and yet many people have reported exactly the opposite, we even have a term for it on this site "truck lust".

I know Auto-pilot can't be easy to program, but this one feature, that is repeatedly wrong, and repeatedly re-announced with each revision, seems to be really causing them a lot of grief.
Still in my newbie phase, so first I heard the "Truck Lust" name for this undocumented 'feature'. While I am happy I now know the proper name for it, I can't wait until they allow me to disable it.

Pushing for improvements on this site tends to bring out a large contingent of people claiming that Tesla is completely infallible, and rejecting the concept of improvement.
It's unfortunate, because many of us would love to see Tesla get better.

That's quite a gross over exaggeration, don't you think???...

Regarding the topic at hand, yes I'd also like to see some improvements there as well. My car does well with the concrete barriers but does suffer from a healthy case of "truck lust"...

Jeff

Agree, the car gets too close to other cars and passengers freak out, when that happens, AP gets turned off.

8.0 in general feels less stable to me in terms of staying in the lane, bouncing from lane marker to lane marker, etc.

I've have v8.0 on my car for just over a week. On my daily commute, it's resolutely stuck to the centre of its lane (no truck lust, no moving away) ... until Friday, when it moved away from close vehicles twice on my way to work - once for a car that was driving on the lane marker and once for a truck that was close to the line as well. It didn't budge for trucks that were centred in their lane.

Maybe it needs time to learn, or perhaps Friday was the first time other drivers prompted the feature to act?

I agree with people in other threads that v8 seems less good at tracking the lines through curves.