Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot a fraud? The linked author bets Elon he'll eat a hat if it changes lanes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This topic is similar to P85D 691 horsepower issue. Why exaggerate the achievements? There is no need for this. They could have simply said the P85D has 550 hp or whatever the actual number is. They could have said the semi-automatic lane change or something similar. Why omit important details? Something similar happened when infinite mileage warranty was the main tagline on Tesla home page. They forgot to mention that the infinite mileage warranty doesn't apply to degradation. Somebody at Tesla marketing is overly optimistic on everything.

Their claims are way less out there than the ones Apple makes, relative to the product/service they're actually serving.

Disagree. "engage the turn signal... when it's safe to do so" isn't an exaggeration. And sensor range is clearly stated. At most you're quibbling about sentence structure.

Look, if you want to do the hat-eating for this guy fine by me. But *somebody* is eating a hat, gosh darn it.

This is what you understood: "engage the turn signal... when it's safe to do so"
This is what Tesla says: "Model S will move itself to the adjacent lane when it’s safe to do so"
Yup. You're quibbling about sentence structure. Thus, let's rewrite it so that we're both happy. "When it's safe to do so, engage the turn signal and Mode S will move itself into the adjacent lane." Does Tesla need a better copy writer? Perhaps. But let's not pull a hamstring stretching for untruth.

And if we're going to split hairs over what is stated, the guy didn't say it had to change lanes safely for him to eat his hat....

"If that Autopilot changes lanes automatically at the touch of a blinker stalk by, say, one year from now, in a series Model D, I will publicly eat a Tesla baseball hat on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. How about it, Elon?"

"When it's safe to do so, engage the turn signal and Mode S will move itself into the adjacent lane."

I agree with this sentence. It would be great if that was what Tesla said. You probably think this is what Tesla meant to say. No that's not what they meant to say. They intentionally phrased the sentence as shown below because they were talking about the 16 feet ultrasonic sensor zone. Indeed if there is another car within the 16 feet zone (the blind spot zone), the car will wait until it clears and then do the lane change when it's safe.

However this whole thing combined with terms like "auto lane change", "automatically change lanes", gives the impression that you don't have to check mirrors.

OAe8CDz.jpg

There is definitly some logic in the car as to when it thinks it's safe. It has denied me a couple of times in heavy traffic.

Aren't we splitting hairs here? Only when it's not totally safe but it thinks it's safe or something?

Last edited:
Can we please stop discussing the car in this thread. This is about hat eating.

"P.S.: If that Autopilot changes lanes automatically at the touch of a blinker stalk by, say, one year from now, in a series Model D, I will publicly eat a Tesla baseball hat on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. How about it, Elon?" 12/10/2014

Tesla’s game-changing, lane-changing Autopilot? “Currently, there is no radar on the market that can achieve that,â€￾ Toyota engineer says - Daily Kanban

... where is the video of Tesla doubter, Bertel Smitt eating a hat?????

- K

If you check Bertel's twitter feed, he is weaseling out of the hat-eating. He says it has to be truly hands-free autopilot, not requiring you to have hands resting on the wheel. That's probably impossible for Tesla to state in their manual, because of liability issues. The twitter feed is also riddled with many anti-Tesla autopilot articles and makes it sound as if Tesla failed since people still have to be responsible for their car with autopilot enabled. Obviously biased man.

Theoretically, lets say you are driving at 60 mph and somebody behind you on the target lane is approaching at 90 mph. What would happen if you initiated an autopilot lane change? Very simple. You would get rear ended.

Yes, they'd rear end you. They would also get cited for:
1. Failure to maintain safe following distance
2. Failure to maintain speed
3. Reckless endangerment
and they would be at fault, insurance wise.

The speed difference is 30 mph. That means the Model S wouldn't see the other car until 0.3 seconds before impact because the ultrasonic sensors have only 16 feet range and there is no rear radar. So what happened to changing lanes automatically by tapping the turn signal? It turns out, that's not the only thing you have to do. You also have to manually check the lane. Unfortunately Tesla's advertisement never mentions this and gives a different impression.

This is what the instruction manual says and what Tesla said at the D Event unveiling of Autopilot a year ago. Tesla has been pretty consistent with emphasizing that since, too. People shouldn't treat a marketing site as an instruction manual.

I would agree with a suggestion of rewording on the marketing site from "when it is safe to do so" to "when the driver determines it is safe to do so." But that seems unnecessarily wordy for a marketing site.

Another point: Humans are already pretty bad at remembering to check their side mirrors and blind spots on regular, non-autopilot cars. I'd argue that the case where a car was along side or in the blind spot is a far more common occurrence that the case where someone is speeding up the lane. In either case, a failure to check can result in a collision. It's just that in the along side case an Autopilot car will prevent it.

But, what does this have to do with someone eating a hat? I'm seriously looking forward to that!

Last edited:
If you check Bertel's twitter feed, he is weaseling out of the hat-eating. He says it has to be truly hands-free autopilot, not requiring you to have hands resting on the wheel. That's probably impossible for Tesla to state in their manual, because of liability issues. The twitter feed is also riddled with many anti-Tesla autopilot articles and makes it sound as if Tesla failed since people still have to be responsible for their car with autopilot enabled. Obviously biased man.

Bertel's statement "If that Autopilot changes lanes automatically at the touch of a blinker stalk by, say, one year from now, in a series Model D, I will publicly eat a Tesla baseball hat on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. How about it, Elon?"
was demonstrated by Jalopnik, appears to be no hands on the wheel at all, the Tesla initiated and completed the lane change Teslas Autopilot System Is Creepy And Wonderful - YouTube

Yes, exactly. I remember coming away from the D Event with the clear understanding that lane changes would require a human in the loop to check the mirrors. It's not Tesla's fault if the press does what the press always does subsequently.

Notwithstanding, Bertel has clearly and unequivocally lost his bet. The only question remaining is, will he also lose his honor by reneging on it?

- - - Updated - - -

(Wow, looking at Schmitt's Twitter feed -- Denial isn't just a mountain in Alaska, is it?)

There's such a simple way for him to 'eat the hat' without 'eating the hat'. Go to a specialty bake shop, have them make a Tesla ballcap cake - eat it. Seriously, dude.

It would be lame but not as embarrassing as his current public tantrum. If he had any class he'd do as Bob Metcalfe did after he lost his "imminent death of the Internet predicted" bet. Metcalfe ate his damn column. (He did blend it first.) He was wrong as hell, but he had style.

It would be lame but not as embarrassing as his current public tantrum. If he had any class he'd do as Bob Metcalfe did after he lost his "imminent death of the Internet predicted" bet. Metcalfe ate his damn column. (He did blend it first.) He was wrong as hell, but he had style.

Well, he seems like he might be a lame kind of a guy. He could also say something like; 'under the guidance of my gastroenterologist I'll have to decline to eat the hat, Elon, but I will donate X dollars to a charity of your choice as my official apology.'

Well, he seems like he might be a lame kind of a guy. He could also say something like; 'under the guidance of my gastroentonoligist I'll have to decline to eat the hat, Elon, but I will donate X dollars to a charity of your choice as my official apology.'

Yes, that would be a classy out. I'll have to remember that next time I have to weasel out of eating an item of apparel.