Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Acceleration too rapid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any advice on any settings to change?
In traffic, car waits for other in front to take off. There is some delay and then it launches after the other cars and 80% of time it then needs to brake...

Exactly the same in ‘Chill Mode’ almost as if it ignores on Autopilot.

Any advice on any settings to change?
In traffic, car waits for other in front to take off. There is some delay and then it launches after the other cars and 80% of time it then needs to brake...

Exactly the same in ‘Chill Mode’ almost as if it ignores on Autopilot.

I see this fairly often, as well. It's pretty annoying how it will wait several seconds after the leading car pulls away to start rolling, then it thinks it needs to basically floor the accelerator to tailgate the leading car and sometimes it has to brake because it got to close. I would like it to pull away as soon as it detects the leading car doing so and accelerate briskly with the flow of traffic but while maintaining a safe distance.

You can use the accelerator pedal to give the car a little kick to get it moving and avoid that initial delay. If your foot is pressing the accelerator pedal, you control the acceleration up to the cruise control set point. I will sometimes give it a little press, especially up to about 10 mph, particularly if the person behind me has been driving a little impatiently before we came to a stop.

I gave up on AP in Nashville traffic just a few months after I got my car. If you don't "follow the rules" of the drivers here, you tend to get road rage. After a couple of incidents of that, I decided I could control my car myself and react to the idiots more safely and quickly than AP could. For me, AP is for longer trips on the open road.

Reactions: JenniferH
The delay to start moving is too long. It used to be almost instant. Now it is uncomfortable to use in traffic..

How long is your car delaying? As with the "Ping pong" on Autosteer, I wonder if different people are seeing different timings?

Yesterday, I used AP in stop and go traffic and could get a "one one thousand, two" at each light. Before I counted to see how long it was, I was kind of freaking out that it was not working, but once I took the time to see that it was only a couple of seconds, I was able to relax and realize that the people behind me could deal with it, since the car accelerates quickly enough to get in TACC distance from a dead standstill within 3-4 seconds.

Most people do not wait two or three seconds to begin to move once a light turns green. I start moving soon as the car in front of me does (almost exactly like my Tesla did before). It would be nice if everyone in the line started moving forward (including Tesla's) as the light turned green. That would be how full autonomy would work. Sure the car can accelerate quickly but it would be unnecessary if it worked as before.

If I can do it and my car used to be able to do it, why not now?

Reactions: diezel_dave
If I can do it and my car used to be able to do it, why not now?

Agreed, but since they don't really advertise or condone using Autopilot on the city streets yet we will have to wait until the programming is ready for these scenarios. But to your point, I am curious why the difference from release to release, you would think they would port those settings in newer releases.

In my experience, over the last year heavy traffic behavior has significantly improved. I commute in and out of NYC and traffic tends to be very aggressive. With Jan 2019 AP I would be constantly cutoff by drivers changing lanes. With Jan 2020 AP only the most aggressive drivers are able to cut in front of me. So to me that's progress, but it depends where you live. In my experience driving here is on the near extreme of aggressive driving behavior, so in a place where people are more chill this may feel unnecessarily jerky.

In my experience, over the last year heavy traffic behavior has significantly improved. I commute in and out of NYC and traffic tends to be very aggressive. With Jan 2019 AP I would be constantly cutoff by drivers changing lanes. With Jan 2020 AP only the most aggressive drivers are able to cut in front of me. So to me that's progress, but it depends where you live. In my experience driving here is on the near extreme of aggressive driving behavior, so in a place where people are more chill this may feel unnecessarily jerky.

I agree and for me AP is getting quite good in most normal situations. On the interstate AP is almost impeccable. Even in town, It has become much smoother and confident requiring much less intervention. That's why it is somewhat surprising that there is a multi-second delay once the car in front starts moving.

I don't understand why some cannot use their accelerator when moving off from behind stopped cars in front when using AP. I use my accelerator for a couple of seconds until M3 AP catches up. AP launch itself could be faster as its very slow to pick up speed and would differently say it's not fast at all.

Obviously you can, it just kind of defeats the whole point. If you are going to have to accelerate to compensate for the AP then you might as well just turn the darn thing off and drive it yourself. ;)

Reactions: ZappCatt
Obviously you can, it just kind of defeats the whole point. If you are going to have to accelerate to compensate for the AP then you might as well just turn the darn thing off and drive it yourself. ;)
It is in Beta testing so you have to help out at times as well the only way to teach AP is accelerate yourself and over time there will be an update if enough owners do this.

I don't understand why some cannot use their accelerator when moving off from behind stopped cars in front when using AP. I use my accelerator for a couple of seconds until M3 AP catches up. AP launch itself could be faster as its very slow to pick up speed and would differently say it's not fast at all.
If everyone did and said nothing there would be no community here. I'm not complaining whether or not to use my foot, its a simple question to see if there is a setting to fix this delay in launch or not.