Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot almost hits Mail truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on Autopilot today on a city street and I'm not sure what I was supposed to do in this situation. My car was approaching a mail truck that was double parked, but as I got closer, the car wasn't making any attempt to veer. I ended up taking control and swerving, but how would one know if the car was planning to avoid this truck or not? It didn't slow down or move to the left at all.

See video. https://photos.app.goo.gl/z4CYp5M3FKPaCuZ49

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Matias
One, surface street, be extra careful.
Two, a white truck on a bright day, that is non-mobile, seems to be particularly hard for the system to see.
Three, the car has a tendency to slow far earlier than a human would, so if it's not slowing, then it's not seeing. Take appropriate action.
Four, as I recall, you've only just got the car. Unfortunately, every Tesla owner seems to have to learn what the car can and can't do well.

This is the guy who wanted to drive LA to Vegas in one shot, right?

In response to the original question the car can and will crash into all kinds of things if you are inattentive.

Autopilot (all flavors) are driver aids until otherwise noted. The manual, the warning after enabling Autosteer, the warning after enabling traffic light control, the warning when activating the system while driving, and the warning when you don’t have your hands on the wheel make this pretty clear.

It will certainly crash into stuff. Lots of stuff. If you’re not prepared to stay attentive it’s best to never enable the test features in the first place.

I have FSD. Isn't the point of stoplight recognition and such to allow for monitored self driving in the city?

No. The point of stoplight recognition is to stop the car at stoplights. Period. Currently the car won't even proceed through a green stoplight without 1) a vehicle to follow or 2) driver confirmation.

"And such" illustrates the problem. There is no "and such". There's a finite list of currently working features. Know and understand them:

Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Reactions: lUtriaNt
As soon as I heard (way back when) that there was a major re-write of the code underway, I concluded that what I pass on to Tesla was a waste of my time. Why would they strive to fix something that is gonna be sent to the dead file in a couple months from now anyway. I just hope they find a solution in the new code for some of the problems that I've grown accustomed to (like parked mail trucks).

As soon as I heard (way back when) that there was a major re-write of the code underway, I concluded that what I pass on to Tesla was a waste of my time. Why would they strive to fix something that is gonna be sent to the dead file in a couple months from now anyway. I just hope they find a solution in the new code for some of the problems that I've grown accustomed to (like parked mail trucks).
That's wrong - rewrite is for the whole logic of driving and recognition. But training datasets for recognition are still crucial. It's just that rewrite can significantly jump in how whole thing works based on all old collected data.

From what I understand right now it's still doing recognition per frame without much of long term memory of objects and without multiframe recognition.

And traffic light game is basically a stub to engage people in dataset training to speed up process for all kind of weird cases.

Reactions: lbowroom