Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and backup camera suddenly not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts on this guys? I've had my m3 LR AWD for about 2 months, been enjoying the hell out of it. Suddenly, yesterday evening when I got into my car to leave work I noticed that the back camera was just black and then noticed autopilot was not reading the lanes and not turning on. It would seem all my camera related functions are disabled. I have had no error messages and I'm running 2019.20.4.2... It was updated several weeks ago, so no recent software changes.

I have tried resetting while pushing down the break and both wheel buttons, and shutting the car off in the menus... No change.

Anyone have any idea what night be going on? Sadly not sc appts for a couple weeks.

Had this happen about a month or so ago, I had to hit the "Power Off" button, then quietly sit in the car for several minutes until it completely shut off. Everything was normal after it came up, so you might try that, or to leave Sentry Mode off next time you're parked for a long period.

Happened to me last month . I ended up taking out the usb drive(and leaving it unplugged) , resetting car , and after car went to sleep cameras and ap worked again . The key was letting the car go to sleep . Still didn’t work after doing just the reset.

We’re having a similar problem - AP is mostly not available, drops out after a minute or two.

ELDA is currently a death wish - car can’t find its lane and jerks around (not in AP) until it finally disables itself. Wife terrified.

Reset didn’t fix anything but haven’t yet tried unplugging USB/sleeping. But the problem has been present for more than a week. SC appt tmrw so we’ll see.

Welp, I tried disconnecting the USB drive and shutting down the car, same thing... Also tried a factory reset and that did not do anything either. Any idea how to contact Tesla other than scheduling a sc apt through the app? There is no online chat on the website anymore, atleast none that I can find.

Autopilot was rarely working for me for a few weeks last month. I wanted to get a video from the dash cam feature on my car. I switched out usb drives and everything was back to normal after it slept overnight. I tried downloading a file and the drive was corrupt. In the future if autopilot has a problem I will switch it out right away.

Screenshot_20190819-193938_Gallery.jpg
Quick update for those that are curious... My m3 has been at the sc for about a week, looks like they're replacing the wiring for the cameras.

Has anyone had to have this done to their car?

Last edited:
View attachment 444023 Quick update for those that are curious... My m3 has been at the sc for about a week, looks like they're replacing the wiring for the cameras.

Has anyone had to have this done to their car?
It looks like it’s been a year since you had this problem with your camera and autopilot. What was your final diagnosis? Just curious because my M3 is a few weeks old and my right side camera isn’t working and autopilot has been disabled. A mobile tech came to my house and tried unplugging and the reconnecting it but it still doesn’t work. He’s now ordered a new camera in hopes of replacing it will fix the problem.
How did they fix your issue?
Thanks in advance!

It looks like it’s been a year since you had this problem with your camera and autopilot. What was your final diagnosis? Just curious because my M3 is a few weeks old and my right side camera isn’t working and autopilot has been disabled. A mobile tech came to my house and tried unplugging and the reconnecting it but it still doesn’t work. He’s now ordered a new camera in hopes of replacing it will fix the problem.
How did they fix your issue?
Thanks in advance!

I'm having this problem since yesterday too. Car is 1 week old
Just took an appointment with mobile service. They're coming tomorrow but based on the estimate I just received, they're going to replace the camera right away

The problem with my car ended up being that the radar wasn’t being held firmly. Had a problem with autopilot/safety features intermittently for over two years before I took the time to get it fixed. They seemed to be able to know based on the data they had that the radar was the problem.