Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and changing lines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I notice that sometime when changing line, activating the momentary turn signal (first detent) does NOT deactivate AP. I have to either move it to the second detent or move the steering wheel for it to disengage. Most of the time, it works but not always. Is there something I'm doing wrong for it to behave that way? Thanks.

Hi, I notice that sometime when changing line, activating the momentary turn signal (first detent) does NOT deactivate AP. I have to either move it to the second detent or move the steering wheel for it to disengage. Most of the time, it works but not always. Is there something I'm doing wrong for it to behave that way? Thanks.
First thing first. Auto Lane Change requires EAP or FSD (owner/subscriber.)

First thing first. Auto Lane Change requires EAP or FSD (owner/subscriber.)
Thanks for the reply but no, that's not what I meant. I meant Autopilot, not auto line change, doesn't deactivate when I press the turn signal sometimes. In none FSD, you need to deactivate AP one way (turn signal, right stick up) or another (force the turn) before you can change line). My turn signal doesn't sometime deactivate AP so I can manually change line.

There is likely nothing wrong. Check your manual, here is what it says in my MS manual:

Canceling Autosteer
Autosteer cancels when:
• You start steering manually.
• You press the brake pedal.
• You push the Autopilot stalk away from you.
• The maximum speed that Autosteer supports–90 mph (150 km/h)–is exceeded.
• You shift into a different gear.

Thanks for the reply but no, that's not what I meant. I meant Autopilot, not auto line change, doesn't deactivate when I press the turn signal sometimes. In none FSD, you need to deactivate AP one way (turn signal, right stick up) or another (force the turn) before you can change line). My turn signal doesn't sometime deactivate AP so I can manually change line.

Without FSD/EAP, you can signal all you want: The turn signal light keeps on flashing and the Autopilot keeps on centering in its own lane.

You cannot turn off Autopilot just because you turn on the signal stalk.

I was sure the manual mentioned you can use the turn signal to disengage Auto steer but, nope. I can't copy paste so here's a screenshot of the relevant section:

1633034577770.png

However, pushing the turn signal once does do it most of the time, but leaving it pushed for a second or two does works 100% of the time, as well as pushing the level to its second detente (ie, turning to a street) works 100% (so far).

I like using the turn signal because this is a natural things to do (never drove a BMW). As I'm coming close to a car on the right lane, signal my intention to change lane, AP disengages, change lane (without the jerkiness of the steering wheel resistance to disengage), reengage AP if I'm going to be there for some time or go back to my right lane and reengage AP. It's fluid.

However, pushing the turn signal once does do it most of the time, but leaving it pushed for a second or two does works 100% of the time, as well as pushing the level to its second detente (ie, turning to a street) works 100% (so far)

Interesting. Just as a test take your hands off the wheel, wait one second and then carefully use the turn signal without touching the wheel. Does it still disconnect the AP?

So, it's more than a second but if I let the wheel go (even before it starts nagging about moving the wheel), activating the turn signal does NOT disengage the Auto Steering. But since activating the turn signal is perceived as a 'wheel movement', the second turn signal activation will deactivate AS. If I keep a constant pressure on the wheel, the turn signal deactivate AS every time. So, case close, and the answer is... Keep your hand on the damn wheel!

What I have found (to disengage Autopilot AND keep the lane assist from warning me and going crazy) is that if I push the stalk down to activate the turn signals (not to the second detent, but just as if I were wanting to make it blink three times for a lane change) and hold them there as I make the lane change (it does disengage Autopilot when I press the stalk down), the car seems to not complain.

Every once in a while, I'll let up on the stalk too early while making the lane change transition and the car will complain that I'm drifting into the other lane. All of that experience was on 2021.4.21.3. Haven't had a lot of highway time on 2021.32.21 yet to know if it's different.

That's my experience FWIW. :)