TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Autopilot and insurance discounts.

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Sonny Daze, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Anyone know if any insurance companies are offering discounts specifically for having Autopilot installed?

• Funny x 1
  2. RacerX

RacerX 3x F1 World Champion #44

Columbus/CLE/Cincinnati/Mason, OH. /Detroit USA

When I was shopping for insurance the big distinction was performance versus regular Tesla Model S.
    They charge more for the performance model.
    To make sure that I maximized my savings I went through all the safety gear on the Tesla Model S to get discounts towards insurance price.
    Some of the insurance agents just don't know about the Tesla model S.

Airbags

Security Alarm system

Emergency braking system to avoid vehicle crash

Collision warning system to void vehicle crash

Multiple ultrasonic sensors and cameras Autopilot system to avoid vehicle crashes

They did ask if the car had OnStar that would offer additional savings. I don't think Tesla has the OnStar Equivalent like Toyota has
    "Toyota Safety Connect".

This is all I can remember from the conversations. You may want to ask them if there any other categories for discounts and see if the Tesla fits in those categories.

• Helpful x 1
  3. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

I was curious if anyone has told a company this and they have said "Oh great, that get's you a 5% discount on your premium".

4. DBEV

DBEV Member

I read somewhere that there was a company in Ohio that was offeriing price reductions if you used their App to keep track of how often AP was being used.

5. CarrollPHensel

CarrollPHensel New Member

Yeah same here!

6. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Wawanesa as of last year made no distinction between P and non-P models. Their rates were competitive for my first S. Not compelling for the second.

If you have multiple vehicles, consider Costco/Ameriprise, which offered a significant multi-vehicle discount.

With the disappointment that AP2 has been relative to AP1, I am starting to think that we're fortunate not to be charged extra (insurance) for AP(2). AP2 does less than AP1, as of this writing and *.34*cfc. Fact.

No, that fact is not up for debate.

See AP1's real-time recognition of and reaction to speed limit signs versus AP2's reliance upon an oft-inaccurate database.

See AP2's braking without warning under multiple conditions.

I have reluctantly concluded that I was safer with AP1. Hopefully the insurance companies continue to focus upon the far lower rate of death/dismemberment enjoyed by the entire Tesla fleet (as one would hope) rather than upon collision/repair costs. See braking without warning above.

Maybe when AP offers what we saw in the December 2016 video, things will be better.

7. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

I'm also expecting autopilot to carry an insurance surcharge rather than discount soon. I do think it's likely that additional cost will just be spread over all tesla rather than singled out for cars with the specific feature. Shame how this is turning out.