Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and no-nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using my no-nag on my 2020 model Y for 2 years now without any notification to slightly move wheel. All the sudden within the last week or so o get a notification about every 30-40 minutes or so. Anyone know why no nag seems to not be working anymore?
Most likely smarter in car camera monitoring you. Even without a device, I've seen an uptick in nagging

good! and I hope it continues to not work. shouldn't be using it.
you and I agree, but many will not. Personally I will never use one of those things and frankly speaking, I don't want to be coming in the opposite direction on an undivided road from someone using one. But I guess that is just you and me. They sure sell a lot.

I see you are not replying to me, but something you say has caught my attention. The fact that you have zero accidents or tickets since 16, BUT you haven't been using one of those things since 16. So it is not comparing apples to apples. You needed a LOT more attention when driving without one for at least a couple decades. I drive cross country almost every year and I still don't want one. 65 miles is nothing to me as an excuse to use one. Don't take this as criticism. I'm just saying it is not for me. Continue to be safe and alert ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom and msee67
Trey, I see your point. I will say just one more thing about this. I don't think it will change your habit, but something to keep in mind. Actually, my wife saying it. I won't repeat everything she said as you will just get angry. She has processed literally 3,000 or more auto insurance issues over her 30-year career. On one occasion in San Francisco regarding a Tesla driver using a "defeat method", he side-swiped another car on 101 when the Tesla got confused in a lane merge.

Yes, it was the only incidence where she processed such as claim. BUT here is what happened: The other driver had some significant injuries. The arriving CHP noted the Tesla driver had fishing line weights zip-tied to the steering wheel and put it in his report. He got ticked. Summary, insurance company refused to pay claim on his car or the other car for just that reason. Last she heard, he got sued, insurance cancelled, a one-year driving suspension, and is on the hook for about $112,000 in property damages, legal fees, and medical bills. These are the kinds of cases you don't hear about on the forums or in the news. NOPE, can't use the excuse that it is because he used fishing weights and you bought an actual product. Result will be the same.

Summary, you should hope you never get caught using one after an accident or even pulled over for any reason. ;)
Hoping you continue to stay alert and no accidents. Eventually, something will happen whether it is your fault or not.

That is a safety defeat device. No one here cares if you think it's safe, it's unfortunately not. If you're looking for hands free, there are some other EV options out there that have it (Blue Cruise or Super Cruise). We get that you think you're a safe driver, but if Tesla had full confidence in the system, they wouldn't require hands on the wheel and checks.

Again, this is a safety defeat device. People are going to be upset over it. Sorry.

I will also state that past performance is not guarantee of future performance. Insurance might "bet" that you're less likely to have an issue, but there is no for sure thing. So good job having a clean driving record, I seriously mean that, but again, it's a safety defeat device and your issue is taking it up with Tesla directly on how they designed their system to work.

I will also note that likely the first and best well known device (I knew about it before owning a Tesla) was shut down by the NHTSA before they relaunched as a cell phone holder.

“The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued a cease and desist letter to the company selling a product called the ******. Marketed as a ‘Tesla autopilot nag reduction device,’ its primary function is to disable a safety feature in Tesla vehicles that monitors the driver’s hands on the steering wheel and warns the driver when hands are not detected. Aftermarket devices, such as *******, are motor vehicle equipment regulated by NHTSA.

“A product intended to circumvent motor vehicle safety and driver attentiveness is unacceptable,” said NHTSA Deputy Administrator Heidi King. “By preventing the safety system from warning the driver to return their hands to the wheel, this product disables an important safeguard, and could put customers and other road users at risk.”

The letter directs the company to respond by June 29, 2018, and to certify to NHTSA that all U.S. marketing, sales, and distribution of the ******* has ended. “

You also could have a medical emergency and autopilot could save your life by recognizing that your hands aren't on the wheel and then slowing down in a safe and predictable manner. In that case AP is actually protecting other people AND you from an accident that might have zero to do with your driving ability or alertness. If the defeat device is being used, you actively remove that safety feature.

• Love
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I think AP shouldn't nag so dang much, its bad, was worse than when I bought...I'd rather have a drunk driver use AP/FSD than have it shut off and the drunken idiot kill someone. Would be safer to have it on than off...

great, now you are suggesting the use of a device developed to defeat a safety feature, or to nag less in general for DRUNK DRIVERS

are you serious?!!!??? WTF

no need to use a device like this nor should nag be changed for such a reason. that feature exists already, its called UBER.

great, now you are suggesting the use of a device developed to defeat a safety feature, or to nag less in general for DRUNK DRIVERS

are you serious?!!!??? WTF

no need to use a device like this nor should nag be changed for such a reason. that feature exists already, its called UBER.
You need to read it again, I said nothing about an illegal device. I am talking about AP/FSD.