Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and parking now available in HK for AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This MX AP2 auto pilot is a bit dangerous, unless its a straight road, it doesn't perform. It can't even keep itself centred on the road. It seems the lines but still like to huge one side or another if it was in a slow bend. My AP1 on MS performed a lot better. I wish I could get my money back.

A quick question. I cant recall my dashboard screen ever picking up and displaying cars in adjacent lanes. I was expecting to see this when autosteer was unveiled, but it seems not. Is this normal? Under what circumstances would one expect to see the cars in adjacent lanes?

A quick question. I cant recall my dashboard screen ever picking up and displaying cars in adjacent lanes. I was expecting to see this when autosteer was unveiled, but it seems not. Is this normal? Under what circumstances would one expect to see the cars in adjacent lanes?

AP2 hasn't had this feature that was available on AP1 vehicles. I *hope* that the car knows when there are adjacent vehicles when engaging auto lane change but the first safety check should be a visual confirmation before activating a lane change.

This MX AP2 auto pilot is a bit dangerous, unless its a straight road, it doesn't perform. It can't even keep itself centred on the road. It seems the lines but still like to huge one side or another if it was in a slow bend. My AP1 on MS performed a lot better. I wish I could get my money back.
Updated last night with 2017.28... in my MX AP2, the auto pilot run more like AP1 as my MS - much less jerky in straight road. Autolane change better & successful even in slow speed local road (it never be able in my MS AP1 before). But the 2017.28. still a testing version without other update.

Reactions: flyingbathtub
The answer to this question is probably unknowable, but I will throw it out there to see what peeps think. There is such a big gap between what Hong Kong autopilot seems capable of (very little), and what you see autopilot doing in demonstration videos from Tesla and others. Autopilot is a joke, tracking of speed limits is virtually non-existent.....etc. It makes me wonder....does Tesla need to maintain separate code for Hong Kong (over and above the obvious road data), or perhaps for right hand drive vehicles? Perhaps people in North America are enjoying a much better autopilot experience, because that is where the Tesla programmers are focusing their attention on perfecting the code, while our code lags? Thoughts?

The answer to this question is probably unknowable, but I will throw it out there to see what peeps think. There is such a big gap between what Hong Kong autopilot seems capable of (very little), and what you see autopilot doing in demonstration videos from Tesla and others. Autopilot is a joke, tracking of speed limits is virtually non-existent.....etc. It makes me wonder....does Tesla need to maintain separate code for Hong Kong (over and above the obvious road data), or perhaps for right hand drive vehicles? Perhaps people in North America are enjoying a much better autopilot experience, because that is where the Tesla programmers are focusing their attention on perfecting the code, while our code lags? Thoughts?

I suspect that it is a Right Hand Drive issue. I hope that they just don't have enough data. The roads here are also much more complex. More curves. USA highways are mostly straight and wide.

From what I can see, AP2 here is just not anticipating anything. When the road ahead curves, it doesn't understand that. It just blindly plows ahead, until suddenly the side of the road gets closer (due to the curve) and the car thinks 'holy *sugar*, I better abruptly steer away, and slam on the brakes). It drives like a horse on blinkers - except that the blinkers have been put in front not the sides. To be clear, I'm talking about vision here, not radar. The adaptive cruise control (based on radar) is rock solid.