Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and potholes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. I drove right over piece of wood with 4 big roofing nails sticking out of it while in Autopilot. My own fault, I guess, for not being 'prepared to take over on a moments notice'. I now use autopilot only as cruise control. No steering

Dodging potholes is ASE Level 6

Every spring we get a bumper crop of potholes. Even human drivers have troubles and sometimes it ends up being a judgement call as to which path is least bad. This isn't something i'd expect a FSD algorithm to handle any time soon. Your best bet is to disengage and take over.

Interesting experience today with FSDB - 2 lanes each direction, 35 MPH. Little traffic anywhere in either direction. No turns for a couple miles.

I'm in the right lane. Suddenly the car starts to change lanes to the left - that's not terribly unusual as we know lane choice doesn't make much sense with FSDB. But mid lane change, it changed it's mind and moved back right. That's when I saw an apparent pot hole in the right lane.

Hard to see in the Dashcam @ 30-second mark -
. Did FSDB attempt a pothole avoidance perhaps? Or just coincidence?

Interesting experience today with FSDB - 2 lanes each direction, 35 MPH. Little traffic anywhere in either direction. No turns for a couple miles.

I'm in the right lane. Suddenly the car starts to change lanes to the left - that's not terribly unusual as we know lane choice doesn't make much sense with FSDB. But mid lane change, it changed it's mind and moved back right. That's when I saw an apparent pot hole in the right lane.

Hard to see in the Dashcam @ 30-second mark -
. Did FSDB attempt a pothole avoidance perhaps? Or just coincidence?
Hmm... watched the video 2-3 times and I can't see a thing

Reactions: KArnold