Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and Trust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think people in this thread are expecting way too much of the current AP. I think it's Tesla's fault for making us believe it is a lot more capable/reliable than it really is.

My expectation is that it behaves as an adaptive cruise control and autosteer with some limited additional functionality, such as slowing down in curves that are not too extreme.
Yup, my first time out using Autosteer was underwhelming. The car was twitchy / squirrely within its lane when driving on a 6 lane US Highway, and braked way too hard entering a curve I regularly take at 65mph (55 speed limit.). I can drive the car much smoother without making my passengers sick from the twitching. TACC worked as expected, and I will use it most of the time during highway driving, as I did with my previous vehicle.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
I use AP all the time and it's been working great for me in the Bay Area. Also, I've been getting great efficiency (223 Wh/mi below) since it's gotten warmer.

AP_at_77mph.jpg

I think people in this thread are expecting way too much of the current AP. I think it's Tesla's fault for making us believe it is a lot more capable/reliable than it really is.

My expectation is that it behaves as an adaptive cruise control and autosteer with some limited additional functionality, such as slowing down in curves that are not too extreme.

Reactions: DanDi58
I’m glad I came across this topic. I feel the same way - AP is not starting slowdown early enough to provide sense of safety to passengers.

Bottom line - Tesla “robot” driver might be safer than a human, but I’d feel more comfortable if its driving characteristics were of a Taxi driver and not of a robot.

The driving characteristics have improved a lot under autopilot. One example is exiting an interstate. When I picked up the car in June of last year it would go full speed into the exit, ignore the exit speed limit sign, and decelerate hard just before flying off the road when it hit the exit loop. It would make the turn and decelerate, but its last second behavior made me very nervous, and a passenger scream.

Not sure which update fixed it, but now it starts to slow down when first entering the exit lane, is appropriate speed when making the exit loop, and stays more in the center of the lane instead of going to the far edge on each curve. I'd like to see it clip the apex of each curve but it's doing the opposite. Police say in a car chase you clip the inside of the curve if you want to take it at the fastest speed, but if you want maximum visibility when you exit the curve you want to clip the outside of it.

I’m glad I came across this topic. I feel the same way - AP is not starting slowdown early enough to provide sense of safety to passengers.

Bottom line - Tesla “robot” driver might be safer than a human, but I’d feel more comfortable if its driving characteristics were of a Taxi driver and not of a robot.
Guessing you've never ridden in a taxi in NYC....