Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and Trust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my car since mid February and have already taken a few short trips which have allowed me to get some seat time with Autopilot. I’m definitely a picky driver and enjoy being in control, so this took some getting used to. Had a few thoughts...

For general highway driving at consistent speeds, it’s amazing! I love it.

I was shocked at how well it worked in stop and go traffic as well. This is by far the biggest selling point! The acceleration from a stop is about 25% more aggressive than I’d like, but I can live with that.

What I still struggle with is when I’m cruising along at 70mph and I see traffic stopped up ahead. I KNOW my car will stop me in time, but I’m typically an early braker in these situations, and hurdling towards stopped traffic at full speed until the last minute is terrifying to me. So I’ve been disengaging AP so I can slow down at my own pace and then reenabling it once in the traffic to take me from there.

Anyone else feel the same?

I was on the fence about FSD when I first bought the car but now I’m glad I didn’t get it. I just don’t trust the car to do anything “FULL”.

"Autopilot and Trust"???? Good question.

The caveat that the driver must maintain a level of attention at all times and intervene if necessary is what keeps me in the "against" column re: FSD.

The variables in designing FSD are staggering. Add the required human intervention into the scenario and the list of variables is infinite, and the liability issue is impossible to analyze.

With the high visibility of Tesla, all it will take is one single fatality and Tesla's value will plummet.

• Disagree
Reactions: EchoDelta
I use AP or FSD constantly and love both! I have only 2 minor gripes: 1) driving too close to the center line. I've never had the car cross the center line, just closer than I prefer. 2) will not dodge potholes. I disengage in order to miss potholes. It's a small inconvenience, but it is what it is.

As to deaths: TeslaDeaths.com This site says 169 total and only 6 AP/FSD

I too feel the same way when I see traffic nearly stopped ahead while the vehicle still cruising at set speed.
However, when at crawling traffic, I set the distance to front vehicle at 1 or 2 so it can stop and go sooner and leave smaller gaps to the front vehicle.
On a clear highway, I increase distance to 4 or 5 so it can have quicker response when traffic slowing down.

Statistics are showing fewer accidents/injuries/fatalities when on Autopilot than when manually operated.

Seems like every individual has their own driving personality that makes them feel comfortable. Most feel most confident when they are totally in control, that that takes concentration and focus. Switching to Autopilot often makes the journey more comfortable after learing it's capabilities.
Many will feel uncomfortable when anyone else is driving as well. Perhaps it is a simple control issue whether Autopilot of another human is in control.

I’ve had my car since mid February and have already taken a few short trips which have allowed me to get some seat time with Autopilot. I’m definitely a picky driver and enjoy being in control, so this took some getting used to. Had a few thoughts...

I was shocked at how well it worked in stop and go traffic as well. This is by far the biggest selling point! The acceleration from a stop is about 25% more aggressive than I’d like, but I can live with that.

What I still struggle with is when I’m cruising along at 70mph and I see traffic stopped up ahead. I KNOW my car will stop me in time, but I’m typically an early braker in these situations, and hurdling towards stopped traffic at full speed until the last minute is terrifying to me. So I’ve been disengaging AP so I can slow down at my own pace and then reenabling it once in the traffic to take me from there.

I was on the fence about FSD when I first bought the car but now I’m glad I didn’t get it. I just don’t trust the car to do anything “FULL”.
Instead of hitting your brakes, why not just let the car decelerate by dropping your speed? When I come upon such situations, I just spin my scroll wheel down; each spin is a drop of 5 mph, so two flicks of the thumb will slow your car to 60...

I have the same experience as OP. I love it, but it is a little stressful when you are going 70 and see bumper to bumper traffic coming up a few hundred feet ahead. I know that the car will stop and usually won’t disengage, but when my significant other is in the car, she tends to tense up (and grabs the non-existent handle above the passenger window) and it can lead up to fights haha. I’m sure that Tesla will come up with a little better way to handle these situations, eventually.

Your habits, tolerances, and the FSD behavior will all change/drift over time.

my preference would also be for a more sluggish take off from the line, and a more coasting taper to a stop. I must do at least 400 miles weekly with auto steer and NoA in rural, suburban and highway and how I do operate now is not the same as 1 year ago.

Reactions: Ruffles
I see traffic stopped up ahead. I KNOW my car will stop me in time
On AP1, but less so on AP>1, the ability to sense cars around you is done partially by radar. Radar filters cars out the background objects by detecting motion. If the cars ahead are stopped, it likely wouldn't "see" them. I am 100% sure my AP1 would blithely plow into stopped traffic on occasion if I let it. Is AP2 better? Sure. Worth the risk, though?

I usually just turn off AP about where I would start braking and let it regen up to where I would stop (when regen isn't being nerfed). When I get close and AP definitely sees the car ahead, I re-engage AP at low speed and let it take over again. I don't even think about it anymore - it's just what I do.

Wow. I'm glad I'm not alone here. Wasn't sure what to expect from others.

I will say that I'm learning to trust AP more, but still haven't been able to trust those "stopped traffic ahead" scenarios. I KNOW the car will stop, but I don't like last minute hard braking when it can be avoided. FOR ME and my personal preferences, it's less stressful to simply disengage and let my car coast to a stop manually.

I have tried using the scroll wheel to at least slow the speed so when the car finally detects the stopped traffic ahead, I'm at something like 50 or 60mph instead of 70mph... but I guess I just need some more practice.

The technology is AMAZING and I'm super happy with the feature, but for my own personal preferences, I wish there were some "advanced" variables you could set for driving preferences.
  1. "stop and go" acceleration preference
  2. maybe some kind of "early detection" for stopped traffic ahead that will allow earlier reduction in speed
  3. avoid driving next to other cars (especially in blind spots)
  4. etc.

Reactions: spokey and Ruffles

I have autopilot equivalent on my prius prime(adaptive cruise control). Took a while to get used to for sure...It sometimesstops TOO abruptly(the Tesla autopilot way better), however the prime accelerate was way to slow(the tesla is perfect). My opinion of course :) The prime made it way easier to trust the Tesla for sure.

Wow. I'm glad I'm not alone here. Wasn't sure what to expect from others.

I will say that I'm learning to trust AP more, but still haven't been able to trust those "stopped traffic ahead" scenarios. I KNOW the car will stop, but I don't like last minute hard braking when it can be avoided. FOR ME and my personal preferences, it's less stressful to simply disengage and let my car coast to a stop manually.

I have tried using the scroll wheel to at least slow the speed so when the car finally detects the stopped traffic ahead, I'm at something like 50 or 60mph instead of 70mph... but I guess I just need some more practice.

The technology is AMAZING and I'm super happy with the feature, but for my own personal preferences, I wish there were some "advanced" variables you could set for driving preferences.
  1. "stop and go" acceleration preference
  2. maybe some kind of "early detection" for stopped traffic ahead that will allow earlier reduction in speed
  3. avoid driving next to other cars (especially in blind spots)
  4. etc.
Some voice commands would be welcomed here. Like ”Slow down” etc...

Reactions: ryanjeffords
Some voice commands would be welcomed here. Like ”Slow down” etc...
I would love "backseat driver" commands:

You see that car ahead, right?
I think we're going to be late.
That turn is coming up soon.
Is this really the best lane?
We don't want to be stuck behind this guy.
I don't usually drive so close to the center line.

Thanks for sharing that, I've been having the same trust issue with late breaking. I just wish it started slowing down a little sooner. The last second jolt my car does makes me paranoid about giving the distracted driver behind me enough notice to stop.

Instead of hitting your brakes, why not just let the car decelerate by dropping your speed? When I come upon such situations, I just spin my scroll wheel down; each spin is a drop of 5 mph, so two flicks of the thumb will slow your car to 60...
That was my plan as well, but when I spin 3 times for a 15MPH reduction, my car brakes too sharply. I've found so far that just pushing up on the drive stick and switching to regen braking is much smoother. I'm looking for ways to make it smooth on TACC as well if anyone has any pointers.

I have a hard time feeling secure with either the cruise control or auto pilot on the freeway. It seems squirrelly at best. Yes it brakes when needed and seems to be aware of speed limit changes even when I don't notice them, but it doesn't do it in a manner that inspires confidence. As an example on Friday, I was travelling 68 (and getting passed like crazy) on the 22 freeway (I hadn't driven this stretch of road in years). When it joined with the 405, it dramatically slowed to 55 (apparently the posted limit). None of the other cars around me, slowed at all, I felt lucky I wasn't rear ended. It constantly pops up alerts (regardless of whether I am in autopilot mode or not), telling me to take control, when I have both hands on the steering wheel and am actively steering. I notice that it especially has problems handling changes in the road surface, especially on overpasses or where Caltrans has changed the way the lanes run (after adding lanes).

That was my plan as well, but when I spin 3 times for a 15MPH reduction, my car brakes too sharply. I've found so far that just pushing up on the drive stick and switching to regen braking is much smoother. I'm looking for ways to make it smooth on TACC as well if anyone has any pointers.
Instead of spinning the wheel quickly, just spin it smoothly so that it decreases at 1mph with each click. You can still set it down 15mph relatively quick but the car is a little more smooth getting there.

I actually just took the car out to run some errands and tried the scroll wheel "flick" when traffic was stopped up ahead. This really helped. I guess I thought AP would just know how I'd like to drive (joking of course)... but having the ability to at least slow down sooner really makes coming to a stop once I hit the traffic backup a LOT more "controlled". Good recommendation!