Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no doubt comments at TMC were taken into some level of consideration.
I hope they gave a much higher level of consideration to the hundreds of beta testers who actually lived with it.

I'm excited, and glad that there were beta testers to provide "hands on" experience so that Tesla can focus on things that have been found to really affect the driving experience.

After reading some of the comments about lunch and a movie in the back seat (but one of many), I really fear for just how this is going to go. It could be a fantastic coup or it could be literally the end of Tesla. I have a tremendous amount of faith in the human race when it comes to seeking the Darwin award. May we live in interesting times.

Cruise doesn't work without seat belt buckled and weight in the front seat. If you knowingly trick the car to allow it to happen, then I can't see how that's Tesla's fault.

I don't think it's going to be the end of the company. Mercedes has had these systems for some time now, and I have yet to see a single news article about how it's the end of the company.

That's actually how I interpreted it. Perhaps they updated the UI to the barebones version we're seeing early on (like back at the "D" event), but then diverted all hands to getting AP out the door.. then they'll go back and "finish" the UI and hopefully take some of our comments into consideration.

Tesla needs a few months to make the clock prettier.

jhall,
One significant failure that takes life will be difficult for Tesla to overcome. It's a big gamble when you consider that AP is not core to the BeV mission (but may, as some suspect, be core to Tesla's ultimate mission with cars being autonomous driving).

jhall,
One significant failure that takes life will be difficult for Tesla to overcome. It's a big gamble when you consider that AP is not core to the BeV mission (but may, as some suspect, be core to Tesla's ultimate mission with cars being autonomous driving).

Agreed. Let's hope nothing bad happens, but if it does, it will make the 2013 battery fires look like a holiday.

Last edited:
jhall,

Implied in Tesla's core mission is staying in business. Falling significantly behind in automation would be fatal to Tesla as an independant company. This risk Tesla faces in falling behind in automation is underappreciated by the faithful.

Tesla allowing drivers to remove their hands from the wheel is not necessarily an indicator of technological leadership. It is simply a choice made by a small, aggressive company.

Out of town this week in California. Let's hope the software is waiting for install when I get back Friday. Will make for a great reason for a short road trip over the weekend. Now we just need more superchargers in the SE as we still have too many holes to make road trips realistic. Congrats to the Tesla team for getting to this milestone and many thanks to all of the beta testers for their feedback to Tesla thru the process. Undoubtedly there will be more learning and UI tweaks in the coming months and quarters as more of us use 7.0 on our vehicles and document our success and challenges in places like TMC. The wait for this has been almost as bad as the wait to get the MS after the order. Going to be an interesting week. :wink:

Tesla allowing drivers to remove their hands from the wheel is not necessarily an indicator of technological leadership. It is simply a choice made by a small, aggressive company.

A risky choice judging by the number of morons out there who think they can take a nap while the car carries on. I know there is no way to fix or protect against stupidity, I would just rather it be a different company that "takes one for the team" with regards to the potential downsides. Even thought Autopilot is not really revolutionary, the media has whipped itself into thinking it is.

Yes. I have to say my ford fusion energi has had a lot of the capabilities of autopilot (ACC, auto parking, lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring) since '13. It's great technology. I would love to see more vehicles that can do it (and do it better).