Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting observation from this test drive:

"if the car you’re following changes lanes in an intersection because people are terrible drivers, the car might try to follow, simply as it can’t see any dotted lines and it just assumes the car in front of it is doing the right thing, which it isn’t"

That's something to watch out for, especially in the early days.

It's 10pm here in California. I wouldn't be surprised if they start pushing updates at 11:59pm, first downloads starting overnight.
Thursday *obviously* starts at midnight Pacific Time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be checking their car at 12:01.

For once, I thought Tesla would underpromise and overdeliver, but it still isn't the case.

Generally speaking, I think Tesla should have waited until today to announce autopilot features at all. If they had suddenly turned on Autopilot for their fleet of vehicles using a software update, they would have looked like heroes and it would have left the rest of the car industry scrambling to catch up.

Hello everyone

Sorry if this has already been asked or discussed but I couldnt find any info on this:

Does anyone know if when autopilot is engaged will the car read the speed limit signs and automatically adjust the speed without driver input?

My understanding is that currently the car displays the speedlimit it reads from the signs and it takes a pull of the cruise control lever to set the cruise to that.

Last edited:
For once, I thought Tesla would underpromise and overdeliver, but it still isn't the case.

Generally speaking, I think Tesla should have waited until today to announce autopilot features at all. If they had suddenly turned on Autopilot for their fleet of vehicles using a software update, they would have looked like heroes and it would have left the rest of the car industry scrambling to catch up.

Yes... excepting that we would have had a year of grumbling that Tesla was behind MB and others on driving technology and no clear plan forward! :) Plus, with all of the leaks, there is no way this would have been kept quiet.

Drove to work this morning with autopilot.

It makes you keep your hands on the wheel. YUK. Hoping for future changes that release us from this as it considerably hurts the appeal of the feature.

Its going to take a lot of getting used to. The car steers pretty well, but it doesn't drive the way a human does. On curves instead of hugging the inside of the lane it almost hugs the outside, which is annoying. When passing other cars it doesn't react by sliding over a little, but rather stays right where it wants to be. So you have to get used to being closer to other cars than you might be if you were driving.

I had one episode of "Take Over Immediately" this morning. I told it to change lanes, and it did. When I turned the turn signal off, it panicked and gave me the message. I'm thinking maybe I turned the signal off too soon. Or it might have been that the lane I was in was exiting one freeway and feeding to a huge exit ramp into the sky, so maybe it didn't like that?

Drove to work this morning with autopilot.

It makes you keep your hands on the wheel. YUK. Hoping for future changes that release us from this as it considerably hurts the appeal of the feature.

Its going to take a lot of getting used to. The car steers pretty well, but it doesn't drive the way a human does. On curves instead of hugging the inside of the lane it almost hugs the outside, which is annoying. When passing other cars it doesn't react by sliding over a little, but rather stays right where it wants to be. So you have to get used to being closer to other cars than you might be if you were driving.

I had one episode of "Take Over Immediately" this morning. I told it to change lanes, and it did. When I turned the turn signal off, it panicked and gave me the message. I'm thinking maybe I turned the signal off too soon. Or it might have been that the lane I was in was exiting one freeway and feeding to a huge exit ramp into the sky, so maybe it didn't like that?

Updating now. Hoping the nag isn't bad

Andy,

I agree with you. I'm surprised so few people understand or see any problem. Maybe this is because the problem is not well defined. The problem is, Tesla's advertisement gives the impression that drivers don't have to check rear view mirrors or the rear camera before initiating an autopilot lane change. If there happens to be a speeding car coming from behind on that lane, the MS will get rear ended.

<Snip>

The solution is to display a message that says "Always make sure the lane is clear before initiating a lane change." This message can be displayed shortly after lane change is complete. The idea is, it would take lots of lane changes until there happens to be a speeding car coming from behind that can't stop in time.

Thanks for the support, and for adding additional information. I agree with almost everything you wrote.

The one point on which we disagree is that I do not think the answer is any sort of message being displayed on our screens. I certainly don't want to see my instrument cluster cluttered with information I don't need just because Tesla's marketing department may have gone a bit too far. I understand how the feature works. Many of us will. We shouldn't be needlessly encumbered with warnings we don't need.

I would be open to having to acknowledge having watched a video or read a message once, either in the car or through MyTesla account. That might be a reasonable solution.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the support, and for adding additional information. I agree with almost everything you wrote.

The one point on which we disagree is that I do not think the answer is any sort of message being displayed on our screens. I certainly don't want to see my instrument cluster cluttered with information I don't need just because Tesla's marketing department may have gone a bit too far. I understand how the feature works. Many of us will. We shouldn't be needlessly encumbered with warnings we don't need.

I would be open to having to acknowledge having watched a video or read a message once, either in the car or through MyTesla account. That might be a reasonable solution.

Thanks again!

At least the release notes, not that most people read them, have more proper language.

For my 55 mile commute. Freaking amazing. No doubts about it. 2 tiny nags in 35 min of highway driving. Follows cars on city streets ok. Outstanding job Elon.

October 15 2015 is the day driving has changed forever!

How?
Rings, bells, turn-off-when-hands-removed, lights-flashing,angry-mob,...?

Disclaimer: I've only driven one time with autopilot. But when I took my hands off the wheel after a minute or so it beeped at me and put a message on the dash telling me to place my hands on the wheel. If I read the release notes right, it will eventually stop the car if you don't listen to it.

- - - Updated - - -

For my 55 mile commute. Freaking amazing. No doubts about it. 2 tiny nags in 35 min of highway driving. Follows cars on city streets ok.

Can you describe your commute? Is it in heavy traffic? Or out in the country on deserted highway?

Yes. I left mb distronic plus for this. And I am way satisfied. Although I've had 11 mos and 33k miles already w/o auto steer. I will truly enjoy it now even more.

55 mile commute. 40 miles on interstate/ DC beltway. Maybe 5 sec of nag. Did traffic. Lane change etc all flawless.

On secondary major roads again. Quiet flawless.

On single lane country curvy roads. Did good if your at speed limit. If your too fast it can't think. I would say 6/10 unless your following a car then 9/10

I'm happy.

We need to close this thread and move over to the firmware 7.0 one. All double posts and info now on multiple threads

Worked well for me this AM on a short test run. Let it drive part of the way to my morning walking trail down a 45 mile/hr limit road. Road is five lanes - two each way and a turning lane. It did very well - no nags totally hands free. I used it to shift lanes a couple of times just for fun. A few comments:
- Lane changes are aggressive - it changes much faster than I did normally (sharper turn)
- It's not very smooth as a driver. It works fine but its corrections are not subtle
- It does ping-pong a bit in the lane although not terribly so

Overall it's damn cool. If you have a commute that involves a highway stint I bet you will love it.