Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and windshield wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question - when I turn on autopilot, the windshield wipers turn on and it won't let me turn them off while still on AP. I have tried everything! I have put the wipers on auto, turned them off, even tried different speeds prior to engaging AP. Every time I put it on they turn on and just keep wiping! Any ideas?

I came here thought there would be some answers. When I would Summon our Model X, the wipers would come on, FOR NO REASON. Haven't summon it in a while now since the new app doesn't work so well. I can only recommend some of the simple task. Attempt to do a wheel configure change. This has been known to do a full reboot in the system. You will have to go back and change back to what wheels you have. I would put in for a service request and see if they can't log in and see if there is something they can do remotely or push an updated firmware.

Ditto. It started last night. I'm still on factory load 2021.11.103. When engaging autopilot the wipers turn on low, can't be turned off without disengaging autopilot. We are in a drought and haven't seen rain in weeks and humidity is in the low teens.

Question - when I turn on autopilot, the windshield wipers turn on and it won't let me turn them off while still on AP. I have tried everything! I have put the wipers on auto, turned them off, even tried different speeds prior to engaging AP. Every time I put it on they turn on and just keep wiping! Any ideas?
I had the opposite also happen. AP was on and I tried cleaning the wipers via washer fluid/wipe. Message came up saying "wipers cannot be activated while on AP".

We joked while driving that the car was pretty much telling us "you don't need to see anything, I got you covered"

Since last weekend's software update the autopilot forces the wipers on with no ability to turn them off. Obviously from this thread, this has been a problem with other models for some time. Where is Tesla's software engineering quality assurance?

Yeah, if you don’t have lidar , the wipers have to be powered on when using AP. Sometimes they just go off for no reason, and when you turn them off, you lose AP. Something to do with cameras and Tesla Vision