Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Body shop called today wanting to know where I got the six months timeframe, almost in an accusatory fashion. I explained when I sat down I recall them saying backordered parts could take weeks 6 to 8 I recall, and that they were new and had no idea how long parts can take to come in but it could be a long time and when the vehicle was being repaired if something else was found it could take even longer with 60-90 days being thrown around. They then explained that that was worst case scenario they were preparing me for as not to set incorrect expectations. I appreciated that and had no expectations. I don’t believe I misheard the timeframe but they seemed upset that I came on here to discuss it even though I was trying to help with autopilot functionality not complain. I apologized to them if I misunderstood what they were trying to convey to me timewise and that my intention wasn't to bus roll them as I added both timeframes for worst case scenario. I'd hate for there to be bad blood between the shop and myself before they work on my car, makes me a little uneasy, but it's amazing to know Tesla is out there looking out for us and holding shops accountable.

I wonder if Tesla gave the bodyshop some "feedback"? And then they put the feedback on you... In any case, not a nice thing IMO. It is up to them to set the right expectations.

There are tons of stories of Tesla repairs in the six month range. Nothing we haven't heard or seen many times before.

Reactions: fasteddie7
Someone reached out to me. I felt bad reaching out because I have a drivable vehicle and didn't feel right complaining about a part when folks have vehicles that are disabled and cannot drive at all. I was just hoping the 6 month timeframe was a worst case given as the shop said they were new to Tesla certification. Looks like Tesla is on it anyway!
I felt the same when a message popped up on my screen that the charge port door needed replacement. It worked perfectly fine with one minor exception. Nonetheless, the message bugged me. But I felt bad taking the car in to Tesla for something that I figured was just a miniscule software glitch.

I took it in at the request of a service manager - as it seemed they had multiple people calling in. I figured they wanted to get to the bottom of this glitch. Once I brought it in - a service rep came outside - asked me to step back in the waiting area and he would do a quick calibration. About 10 minutes later, rep comes in and tells me to bring it back if message pops up again. So far it hasn't.

Far as I'm concerned he shook the car and that fixed it. =D

We can help -- we have a team of Body Repair case managers at your disposal. Please contact Body Shop Support and they will hop right on the repair. We're shipping 95% of parts within 4 days of order.

Thanks for coming here and posting this information. When my vehicle was involved in a minor accident, the Tesla approved body shop said I was lucky it was just a scrape and dent that could be repaired without parts from Tesla because it was taking a long time for Tesla to get them parts. It's good to see that Tesla is getting on top of this issue.

Unlike others here, I'm amazed that Tesla has been able to start a new automobile company. It's obviously no easy feat and many experts expected Tesla to fail especially when it came to service since selling new vehicles is one thing -- having service centers in all major cities to service their vehicles is where many experts expected things to fall apart, especially if the vehicles had flaws in design -- something the Tesla bashers and shots tried to cling onto when there were a few fires a couple of years back and the stock took a hit. But unfortunately for the Tesla bashers and shorts, there was no flaw in design, although I did get the titanium plate added to mine as did many others, as a precaution.

In any event, I drove my vehicle with the dent for four months until I got my appointment with the Tesla approved body shop. They did an excellent repair. If I needed a part and it was out of commission for those 4 months or longer, it sure would have sucked, and I'm certain I would have complained, but I would also really look forward to the day I got my vehicle back. I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater or claim Tesla has a "monopoly" as some say here, and others agree, when they have no idea what "monopoly" actually means.

I also find it telling how the Tesla bashers completely ignore your post and your efforts to make things better. But please know that a lot of us here appreciate your efforts and your posting here. I've been on other forums, including the GM Tahoe hybrid forum in 2008 when I bought one when they first came out. Service was also an issue, and you'd have to wait for service until the hybrid trained tech was working, or they brought one into town, but no one from GM ever posted on that forum when we complained about that.

Thanks again.

Reactions: mal_tsla
I also find it telling how the Tesla bashers completely ignore your post and your efforts to make things better.

I doubt anyone is ignoring it, we've just seen it before and it rings hollow. A PR stunt if you will, to fix the problem for the public few. And Tesla having blamed the body shops for this in the past was just bad form...

Once they fix the underlying cause, and we start seeing evidence of this being history, I promise to sing their praises.

So far it does seem Tesla prioritizes parts for new production vs. repairs.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and kort677
So far it does seem Tesla prioritizes parts for new production vs. repairs.
That is how is appears. one problem for tesla owners is that tesla is the only source of parts. almost all other cars have aftermarket parts available. while I wouldn't really care to use aftermarket parts but their existence keeps the OEM part makers on their toes because they loathe losing a sale to secondary makers. If you own a tesla? they are the only supplier and they are free to move at glacial speeds.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone is ignoring it, we've just seen it before and it rings hollow. A PR stunt if you will, to fix the problem for the public few.

Do you think it's fair to attack someone so viciously, telling him he has nefarious motives in his post, based on what you've seen in the past, without giving us at least one example in support of your argument? If you've seen it before, and this is just a "PR stunt", that "rings hollow", you should easily be able to post concrete examples of what you're talking about.

I'm waiting.

He said:

We're shipping 95% of parts within 4 days of order.

You say that "rings hollow" meaning it is not true, right? Please show us stats that prove your claim. When I got my car in for service the body shop told me Tesla was shipping parts much faster than 4 months ago when I made my appointment. So it seems from my facts that Tesla is getting on top of this problem.

You, however, quickly call people liars based on facts you don't even post. But now you have your chance. Please tell me exactly where you've seen Tesla post here only to end up being a PR stunt.

You know, those who seem to love living with the past will never see the future pass them by, and in the end will have nothing but the sound of their own empty words echoing in the darkness of their own making. Sad, really.

Great poetic post. I don't fully understand it but it sounds deep.

O/H rear bumper, Bumper cover autopilot, Overlap Major non adj Panel, Impact bar, harness autopilot, Park sensors Autopilot, RT / LT park sensor rear outer / inner autopilot. RT reveal molding tape
Thanks. It sound like they are replacing everything - bumper skin, all the sensors and wiring on the inside of the skin, and the metal impact bar. Good news for you, once they have all the parts including painted bumper, is should be same day service (heck, if they pre-attach and pre-wire the sensors, they could probebly do it while you wait).

Reactions: fasteddie7
Do you think it's fair to attack someone so viciously, telling him he has nefarious motives in his post, based on what you've seen in the past, without giving us at least one example in support of your argument? If you've seen it before, and this is just a "PR stunt", that "rings hollow", you should easily be able to post concrete examples of what you're talking about.

I'm waiting.

You asked about (or claimed) people were ignoring Tesla's posted offer for help. I was explaing why IMO that is. This is not the first case Tesla has posted a similar message on TMC either.

I'm telling you how it rings to me - how it seems to me. I have no way of judging the motivations of anyone, but that also means - if it weren't for your comment - that's why I'm mostly ignoring such posts. I expect others may have similar reasons. To me it isn't addressing the problem I have with this and the only way of really verifying what is said - is to keep watching the space. I can't verify it based on their words, there is no history to support I can blindly trust those words, and no evidence.

It rings hollow, because it seems to be a way of addressing an effect (very publicly no less), instead of the cause. Trust me, once the cause of this is fixed, I will be perfectly happy with that and hopefully that is what Tesla is doing behind the scenes. Maybe that really is happening behind the scenes now. When it is fixed, then all will be well. So I keep watching the space, instead of individual posts.

But no, as long as there is a discrepancy between what we hear is the ground reality, I don't find such posts particularly comforting. Especially given the fact that Tesla has not exactly been forthcoming about everything in the past.

Mind you, I don't think it is a bad thing Tesla posts here or on social media. I'm just saying why I don't place particular value on that anymore. Fool me once, so to speak. The JonMc line on performance limiters comes to mind (since then a court case), as does the Model S sun lighted visors and of course everything about AP2.

Last edited:
Thanks. It sound like they are replacing everything - bumper skin, all the sensors and wiring on the inside of the skin, and the metal impact bar. Good news for you, once they have all the parts including painted bumper, is should be same day service (heck, if they pre-attach and pre-wire the sensors, they could probebly do it while you wait).
That would be awesome, my quote has hours of labor built in, wouldn’t a shop have to change their quote for labor as it would seem weird to be billed for 8 hours of labor for a 2 hour wait, or is there way more to it than that?

That would be awesome, my quote has hours of labor built in, wouldn’t a shop have to change their quote for labor as it would seem weird to be billed for 8 hours of labor for a 2 hour wait, or is there way more to it than that?
1. They may have to paint the bumper - time your car doesn't have to be there but still spent on it.
2. Installing sensors and pre-wiring the bumper, that's probably 30-60 minutes if you've done it before, as above, can be done prior to your car getting there.
3. Maybe they quote a little buffer time as well, in case something goes sideways - especially if they are a new shop. 8hrs is not a "do it while you wait" but still same day service if dropped off in the morning.

PS> Are you allowed to ask for the old parts back? Some if not all of the ultrasonic sensors are probably still usable as spare parts, as may be connectors from the harness. Bumper itself would be kind of large to store.

1. They may have to paint the bumper - time your car doesn't have to be there but still spent on it.
2. Installing sensors and pre-wiring the bumper, that's probably 30-60 minutes if you've done it before, as above, can be done prior to your car getting there.
3. Maybe they quote a little buffer time as well, in case something goes sideways - especially if they are a new shop. 8hrs is not a "do it while you wait" but still same day service if dropped off in the morning.

PS> Are you allowed to ask for the old parts back? Some if not all of the ultrasonic sensors are probably still usable as spare parts, as may be connectors from the harness. Bumper itself would be kind of large to store.
I'd have to find that out. I'm treading kind of lightly as Tesla has been super transparent with me and the shop was upset I talked about the timing, misunderstood or not, with Tesla. I always worry about upsetting the folks at the company that is proving me a service and I really don't want to upset the body shop as I drop my car off to them. I have to say after reading all of the horror stories about body service, it's nice to have personal experience with the Tesla body shop advocate team that says that was nothing further from my experience, as Tesla has proactively contacted me several times keeping me updated on every aspect of when things ship and arrive. I'm beyond pleased with Teslas treatment of me through all of this.

I wonder if Tesla gave the bodyshop some "feedback"? And then they put the feedback on you... In any case, not a nice thing IMO. It is up to them to set the right expectations.

There are tons of stories of Tesla repairs in the six month range. Nothing we haven't heard or seen many times before.

In this particular case, we will never know. Did Tesla do anything special, except 'correct' the body shop on implying Tesla would be a bottleneck? Or did Tesla run down to the line and pull a part from a car because of the squeaky wheel.

Don't forget it may take multiple people. But, most importantly, at least in the US, they can charge by "the book" which has standard hours for specific repairs. If they work faster, they make more. If they are slower, they loose out.

In this particular case, we will never know. Did Tesla do anything special, except 'correct' the body shop on implying Tesla would be a bottleneck? Or did Tesla run down to the line and pull a part from a car because of the squeaky wheel.

Don't forget it may take multiple people. But, most importantly, at least in the US, they can charge by "the book" which has standard hours for specific repairs. If they work faster, they make more. If they are slower, they loose out.
Makes a ton of sense to me. That's why I post - makes me realize things I didn't initially think of that make sense now that I think about it.

Yeah, hard to say, as you point out.

The thing is, Tesla has posted that same message or one very similar here at least on June 29th, July 13th, July 21st, July 25th and October 10th:

Search Results | Tesla Motors Club

Maybe some expect too much from people on how they react to copy-paste messaging... Results will make this issue eventually go away completely. Until then, one shouldn't be too surprised if people don't pay too much attention to such things. I'm sure there is an escalation team that does make some difference. What difference? Who knows... What I'm mostly hoping, though, is the difference where an escalation team is not necessary at all...

It is good for the OP that his case seems to be getting attention. Hopefully eventually that is the normal scenario without escalation.

mr Hotlobstah, could you explain the basis of your marking my comment with that disagree? do you not think that the lack of spare parts or severely limited certified shops aren't a big problem for getting repairs done in a timely a manner?
do you know what it takes for a body shop to be certified by tesla? the costly machines that the shop is required to purchase from tesla or the extensive training of the techs at the factory that the techs MUST attend in order for a shop to attain certification?

Screw it, I don't agree with everything you say but I think

and there you have the dark side of tesla ownership in a nutshell
is spot on so I added informative to the mix

• Helpful x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Like x 1
  • Disagree x 1
darkside should be dark side according to spell check but I'm not going to give you a disagree for one missing space.