Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
after a year of babying my car, it finally took its first whack in a parking lot. The hit, although seemingly far away from the sensor, made parking assist disabled. Certified Tesla body shop says 6 months to fix, and Tesla can’t look at it without double dipping insurance. So as a PSA here’s what happens to autopilot when your sensors are out: car stays centered in the lanes - dead center in fact , but lane change is gone. Barriers also go unseen. No summon and no park assist. On the plus side there’s no crazy beeping when I pull into the garage lol. Looks like I’ll have limited function for 6 or more months while I wait for the parts to come in, then who knows how long to fix, So I’ll be living vicariously through everyone on here getting updates that improves auto pilot well mine hangs out at 50% capability LOL. image-20171006_194445.jpg

incompetence? on who's part?

I would think it is not the body shop that is delaying it, but Tesla by not sending the parts on time.

Even if the body shop is overwhelmed with other work in their queue, that only points to the Tesla not certifying many more shops, creating a monopoly, price gouging and delays by having very few certified shops .

Reactions: davidc18
So as a PSA here’s what happens to autopilot when your sensors are out: car stays centered in the lanes - dead center in fact , but lane change is gone. View attachment 252877

Bummer. Sorry to hear. 6 months is tough. Perhaps @JonMc can help shorten that time? Seems
like a minor accident, with minimal parts required.

Interesting observation on the dead center comment though. Wondering if it reduced lane center seeking, aka ping-ponging? Might give some insight into whether or not the ultrasonic sensors contribute to this very annoying problem.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I would think it is not the body shop that is delaying it, but Tesla by not sending the parts on time.

Even if the body shop is overwhelmed with other work in their queue, that only points to the Tesla not certifying many more shops, creating a monopoly, price gouging and delays by having very few certified shops .
and there you have the darkside of tesla ownership in a nutshell

mr Hotlobstah, could you explain the basis of your marking my comment with that disagree? do you not think that the lack of spare parts or severely limited certified shops aren't a big problem for getting repairs done in a timely a manner?
do you know what it takes for a body shop to be certified by tesla? the costly machines that the shop is required to purchase from tesla or the extensive training of the techs at the factory that the techs MUST attend in order for a shop to attain certification?

Hopefully they have worst case scenario and I’ll get a call saying the bumper and harness are in. Maybe my location in south western Pennsylvania has something to do with the ridiculous timeline.

Wiring harness? Did it get dented? :rolleyes: Or are the sensors attached?

I still wish My Tesla page had any info on parts ordered from Tesla by a body shop and the status. Interesting to know who is telling the truth. Perhaps the body shop is just overbooked.

Wiring harness? Did it get dented? :rolleyes: Or are the sensors attached?

I still wish My Tesla page had any info on parts ordered from Tesla by a body shop and the status. Interesting to know who is telling the truth. Perhaps the body shop is just overbooked.
From the pic you can see it doesnt look like it, but my screen has park assist unavailable and there is no ultrasonic animation when I drive nor are there any warnings or dings when I pull into a garage or space. I don’t know what else to do. The sensors look fine maybe there is a severed wire or something.

What I don't get in these threads is the "why" rationale *IF* the delay is at Tesla. Surely they have the parts to produce more than one Model S and one Model X a week at Freemont. So why is it so hard to cut production by ONE car a week and divert the parts to repair? Yes, this won't work for some things (especially parts that have been revised since Eddie's car was built), but a bumper cover and sensor should not take 6 months for the parts to arrive.

What I don't get in these threads is the "why" rationale *IF* the delay is at Tesla. Surely they have the parts to produce more than one Model S and one Model X a week at Freemont. So why is it so hard to cut production by ONE car a week and divert the parts to repair? Yes, this won't work for some things (especially parts that have been revised since Eddie's car was built), but a bumper cover and sensor should not take 6 months for the parts to arrive.

Exactly - if Tesla would put parts ordered on behalf of a VIN (prices not needed) on that owners mytesla page an owner could see actual Tesla status.

Reactions: fasteddie7