Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot At NIGHT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On interstates? Yes. Done lots of stretches with AP at night, both in moderate-heavy traffic and where I'm one of the only cars on the road.

On backroads, with no lights, and sharp turns, where you shouldn't be using it anyways? Not really, I've had the red-hands-of-death appear at the sharpish turns.

I have also used it at night. It just needs enough light to see the lane markings. In California anyway, lane markings are typically highly reflective so it is not a big problem here.

I don't think it is ready for back roads, windy turns, etc., even in daylight based upon my experience on nearby roads anyway.

I find it works better at night.

In Washington, many highway lane markings are just rows of dots, not stripes of paint. During the day they aren't contrasty enough for autopilot to recognize them as lane markings. But those same roads at night, with the dots reflective in your headlights, are recognized just fine.

I also find it works better at night. The reflectivity of the lane markers and lines, appear more distinct. Of course, this assumes ambient light for longer range awareness. Driving on non-lit freeways works well as the curves are usually designed for freeway speeds and give enough lead time. Unlit roads with bends are poorly tracked.

It's pretty curvy on highway 1/101 and at night, when there are no other cars, light is scarce. Do you think it would work well on stretches from Oxnard, CA to San Luis Obispo? Has anyone driven that stretch with AP at night?

- - - Updated - - -

I find it works better at night.

In Washington, many highway lane markings are just rows of dots, not stripes of paint. During the day they aren't contrasty enough for autopilot to recognize them as lane markings. But those same roads at night, with the dots reflective in your headlights, are recognized just fine.

Oh, interesting, so just the illumination from headlights should be enough?

It works better at night in general due to the higher contrast and lack of sharp shadows--it's easier for the cameras to pick out the lines from the rest of the scene.

But you have to be careful in certain situations, such as when oncoming headlights are shining brightly at you--particularly if there's moisture in the air and the windshield is fogging up a bit.

It works better at night in general due to the higher contrast and lack of sharp shadows--it's easier for the cameras to pick out the lines from the rest of the scene.

But you have to be careful in certain situations, such as when oncoming headlights are shining brightly at you--particularly if there's moisture in the air and the windshield is fogging up a bit.

Oh yeah, sometimes oncoming lights can be a real b!&ch

To my knowledge the autopilot camera sensor captures the visible spectrum, not IR...but I could be wrong about that.

Unless the camera has a very good built in IR filter, it will capture IR also. The IR spectrum is very close to the visible light spectrum, and blends in at higher wavelengths.

The AP camera may not be an IR camera, but a side effect would be it capturing/seeing IR. You can try pointing a remote control at your cell phone camera, and take a photo (I don't think cell phone cameras have sophisticated IR filters, though I never checked...) and you should see a beam of light.

Unless the camera has a very good built in IR filter, it will capture IR also. The IR spectrum is very close to the visible light spectrum, and blends in at higher wavelengths.

The AP camera may not be an IR camera, but a side effect would be it capturing/seeing IR. You can try pointing a remote control at your cell phone camera, and take a photo (I don't think cell phone cameras have sophisticated IR filters, though I never checked...) and you should see a beam of light.

Only if it's an IR remote, most new TV remotes these days are RF.