Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Auto Park feature to solve charging problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just occurred to me that the Auto Park feature can be used to automatically move the car to another spot after charging is completed. This will solve the problem of cars that completed charging has to wait for the owner to come back to vacate the charging stall. Since the parking lots are considered private places so there should be no (little?) legal issue.
However, I am wondering how does the car figure out where to go to after? One way I can think of is to allow the Tesla Mobile App show the image captured from the windshield camera and highlight the area suitable for parking, and allow users to click it for the car to go.

I brought this idea up several months ago when there was talk by Elon of sending notes to people who abuse the use of Superchargers. I'm sure it would be possible with enough hardware but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

It just occurred to me that the Auto Park feature can be used to automatically move the car to another spot after charging is completed. This will solve the problem of cars that completed charging has to wait for the owner to come back to vacate the charging stall. Since the parking lots are considered private places so there should be no (little?) legal issue.
However, I am wondering how does the car figure out where to go to after? One way I can think of is to allow the Tesla Mobile App show the image captured from the windshield camera and highlight the area suitable for parking, and allow users to click it for the car to go.

The definition of "private" in the description has been discussed before, but I don't recall if there was ever anything but discussion. To me, "private" means an area where the public is not present, not just privately owned property. Personally, I don't see this feature becoming a reality any time soon, simply because the car would have to decide whether to enable self-park and I don't think it can reliably do so. Certainly many drivers can't safely make that judgement.

This has been discussed a few times, actually. I think once the robot charger is sorted out you'll see at least a prototype "valet" supercharger site fairly soon (a couple years from now?)

Basically it'd be a controlled site on which the car drops you at the local lounge door, self parks at a stall, charges, then unplugs and moves to a parking area when charged, and comes back to the door when summoned.

Aside from the metal snake and arranging for the site, I think the biggest challenge is that Tesla will have to continue to provide options for the fifty thousand? pre Autopilot cars...

This has been discussed a few times, actually. I think once the robot charger is sorted out you'll see at least a prototype "valet" supercharger site fairly soon (a couple years from now?)

Basically it'd be a controlled site on which the car drops you at the local lounge door, self parks at a stall, charges, then unplugs and moves to a parking area when charged, and comes back to the door when summoned.

Aside from the metal snake and arranging for the site, I think the biggest challenge is that Tesla will have to continue to provide options for the fifty thousand? pre Autopilot cars...

I doubt this technology is 2 years out. They should be able to implement this within about the next year or so, certainly for superchargers.

I have a feeling part of the reason they made the Supercharger cords flexible is so that the cord can be easily manipulated into place mechanically...

I agree. It's probably a year Elon time.

*quick mental math* yep, 17 years out.

Why so down and glum? :) Can you point to any other car more advanced or drives better than the Model S?

Cut them some slack and be glad they are pushing boundaries on what is possible. Would you rather they didn't say that they are working on an auto connecting cord?

I still bet we will see a working version of this within the next year. This is not that hard to do and the auto opening and closing charge port door was implemented I bet partly to facilitate the auto connect and disconnect of the charge cable.

Cheer up!

Why so down and glum? :) Can you point to any other car more advanced or drives better than the Model S?

Cut them some slack and be glad they are pushing boundaries on what is possible. Would you rather they didn't say that they are working on an auto connecting cord?

I still bet we will see a working version of this within the next year. This is not that hard to do and the auto opening and closing charge port door was implemented I bet partly to facilitate the auto connect and disconnect of the charge cable.

Cheer up!

It was good natured ribbing, I love my Model S and wouldn't drive any other car on the market right now; but as a company Tesla needs to stop over-promising and under-delivering (as well as delivering very late).

It was good natured ribbing, I love my Model S and wouldn't drive any other car on the market right now; but as a company Tesla needs to stop over-promising and under-delivering (as well as delivering very late).

Ah okay :) I'm sure they have by now gotten the message on what happens with overpromising. When Elon made the 90KWh announcement it's like he went out of his way to not talk up or promise anything...

I seriously think the auto connecting charge cable will be out within a year. A couple of competent engineering students could probably implement this in 6 months.

Ah okay :) I'm sure they have by now gotten the message on what happens with overpromising. When Elon made the 90KWh announcement it's like he went out of his way to not talk up or promise anything...

I seriously think the auto connecting charge cable will be out within a year. A couple of competent engineering students could probably implement this in 6 months.
I expect you're right -- it will be installed at Harris Ranch (appointments only) :)