Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Auto Park feature to solve charging problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just occurred to me that the Auto Park feature can be used to automatically move the car to another spot after charging is completed. This will solve the problem of cars that completed charging has to wait for the owner to come back to vacate the charging stall. Since the parking lots are considered private places so there should be no (little?) legal issue.
However, I am wondering how does the car figure out where to go to after? One way I can think of is to allow the Tesla Mobile App show the image captured from the windshield camera and highlight the area suitable for parking, and allow users to click it for the car to go.

1) It really needs to be able to plug and unplug.
2) It would need to find a nearby space, and know that it's OK to park there.

A year or two back, there was mention of a device that was being developed at a university in Europe. Instead of having a charging pad under the car that could cause problems (with cats, etc.), they were working on a device that would touch the front bumper. It would have the convenience of wireless charging since the driver wouldn't have to plug the car in but it also was much more efficient since it made a direct contact with the car. If you drove too far, it would fold over to prevent damage.

Found a link: http://www.fraunhofer.de/en/press/r...ging-electric-cars-efficiently-inductive.html

I guess it still uses induction.

[video]http://www.iisb.fraunhofer.de/content/dam/iisb2014/en/videos/FraunhoferIISB_InductiveCharging_510x294px.mp4[/video]

Last edited:
I doubt this technology is 2 years out. They should be able to implement this within about the next year or so, certainly for superchargers.

I have a feeling part of the reason they made the Supercharger cords flexible is so that the cord can be easily manipulated into place mechanically...

Well, I thought the two years might be a little conservative - but I also made that comment before today's metal snake demo. If they have autopark together, the technology is there, it just needs refining and implementing.