Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot /Auto Steer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed in my last update that autopilot has more drastic braking than prior releases. I’m on 2019.8.5. There is a hill I go over on my way home everyday and the car slams its brakes on. In addition I’ve noticed that using it on the highway there are consistently instances where the car will see cars on one side or the other, even within their lane my car slams brakes. I assume this type of thing occurs between update to update and will only improve? I’m curious why it’s gotten worse with updates versus better. I’ve only been an owner for a couple months. Thanks!

Updates change the software, which means behavior can change for the better or worse.

Consider any update meaning you should reset your assumptions, and reevaluate the strengths and weaknesses of AP.

Understood, although it seems strange to me that we go from something that was working very well to something that presents some dangerous situations. I’m not sure I fully understand updates that would reverse progress, unless these issues I am facing and assume others are to are part of progress somehow?

Understood, although it seems strange to me that we go from something that was working very well to something that presents some dangerous situations. I’m not sure I fully understand updates that would reverse progress, unless these issues I am facing and assume others are to are part of progress somehow?

They're retraining the neural networks that recognize things from the camera images. To their mind, they're going from a network that doesn't see something they think is potentially dangerous to one that is seeing it and reacting to it - possibly overreacting in your example.

And yes, it will get better over time as Tesla continues to tune the NNs. They track all the disengagements and overrides and see what happened, and they run shadow mode comparisons of what the driver did vs what the NN would have done when the car isn't driving itself.

• Love
Reactions: ccathcart609