TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot automatically slows in curves?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by cplaw, Aug 20, 2016.

1. cplaw

cplaw Member

Does the autopilot automatically slow the car down for sharp curves on the road? I'm guessing it would, but just wanted to double check

2. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I've seen it happen on highway curves but on rural roads (like 55) it definitely won't slow down for the 45 mph slow down sign marked curves. I double hit the 5 mph TACC speed adjustment. At all times on rural roads I'm paying very close attention with hands on the wheel and Autosteer+TACC is just assisting in lane centering and distances to cars ahead.

3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Yes, TACC will slow down for you (since that's the component of Autopilot that controls speed). As @scottf200 says, you need to be vigilant because sometimes it won't slow to a level with which you're comfortable. It definitely responds to upcoming curves, though.

• Like x 1
  4. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Haha -- Yes, I'm not comfortable running off the road because that is exactly what it was going to do the times I've tested it on some roads with curves which have warning slower speed limit signs to slow down. <grin>

• Funny x 1
  5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

it's been my experience that sometimes does slow the car down, on gradual ramps but on twisty roads the AP can be a bit hinky. if you have any concerns about it handling a curve it would be wise to just disable the AP when entering the curve and reengaging while coming out of the turn.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would not use AP on curvy roads which are posted with slower speed limit signs for tight curves. AP is not yet good enough to consistently recognize the speed limit changes and slow down and then speed up after the curve. AP is good at gentle curves that can be safely taken at the same speed as the straight road.

Patience, young Jedi...hands on or very close to the wheel, eyes on the road, relax and focus.

7. Old Wyseguy

Old Wyseguy Member

My wife and I both enjoy AP and it will slow for curves, but on a really twisty/curvy (mountain pass) we just used the cruise and did the driving. I feel the car actually may have taken the sharper curves more cautiously than I would have had I been controlling the speed. We have a short video, but it really doesn't relay just how much the speed varied, but the cruise was set at 55 MPH.

8. cplaw

cplaw Member

9. Old Wyseguy

Old Wyseguy Member

The video is still uploading to U-Tube. If their estimated time is correct it should be available after 9:30 AM CST.

10. LastGas

LastGas Member

@ Old Wiseguy
    What am I seeing in the video? Is the car aware of the curves because it is navigating, seeing speed limit signs, using GPS information, seeing the curves with the camera?

11. billarnett

billarnett Member

Yes, but it does a horrible job of it. I tried using it on a couple of mountain roads a while back and it consistently slowed down WAY WAY too much. Worse, it doesn't slow down BEFORE the corner bur rather in the middle of it. That's worse than nothing. t ended up just turning it off.

It needs to have a user-settable parameter to adjust how "aggressive" it should be in the corners. Some folks will want it to slow to the speed of the yellow warning sign; my rule of thumb is 150% of the sign for a pretty conservative ride (but not always!)

12. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

From just watching that video - great job Tesla.

13. Old Wyseguy

Old Wyseguy Member

I might be reading way too much into just how/why the car slows down for the curves, but I feel the camera is reading the radius of the curve and the on board computer knows the approximate weight so adjusts the speed according to algorithms programmed into it. And, it could be a combination of all you mentioned above.

14. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

Yes, it will slow down when it sees signs for curves, although as others have said, sometimes depending on the signage, it may not work. Also without signs, it frequently barrels around the corner at too high a rate of speed to take the corner safely, but it is improving. Just keep in mind that TACC and Autosteer are tools to aid in driving certain easier scenarios, and winding curvy roads do not really qualify for either.

• Like x 1
  15. Old Wyseguy

Old Wyseguy Member

We were not using AP, just cruise. Manually steering with a cautious foot over the brake prepared to slow if necessary.

16. kort677

kort677 Active Member

maybe it does need some adjustable settings but the system just isn't there yet, it is up to the driver to be interactive and have the ability to assume control at any moment.

• Like x 1
  17. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the AP does not recognize the yellow advisory speed signs. the system isn't capable of working well on twisty mountainous roads. I've even shut the AP down on sections of interstates where the downgrades and twists were too much for the AP to handle.

18. kort677

kort677 Active Member

maybe what you say is accurate, but it really doesn't work that well

19. eschummer

eschummer Member

I agree that it really is not ready for prime time. My experience has been that it drives way too far into the turn before giving any steering input, which then is much greater than it would really need to be if there was any anticipation. I don't use it on windy roads.

20. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Just use it on freeways and be done with it. You won't have any regrets.

Remember Elon said on ramp to off ramp. And he didn't lie.