Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot automatically slows in curves?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen it happen on highway curves but on rural roads (like 55) it definitely won't slow down for the 45 mph slow down sign marked curves. I double hit the 5 mph TACC speed adjustment. At all times on rural roads I'm paying very close attention with hands on the wheel and Autosteer+TACC is just assisting in lane centering and distances to cars ahead.

Does the autopilot automatically slow the car down for sharp curves on the road? I'm guessing it would, but just wanted to double check
it's been my experience that sometimes does slow the car down, on gradual ramps but on twisty roads the AP can be a bit hinky. if you have any concerns about it handling a curve it would be wise to just disable the AP when entering the curve and reengaging while coming out of the turn.

I would not use AP on curvy roads which are posted with slower speed limit signs for tight curves. AP is not yet good enough to consistently recognize the speed limit changes and slow down and then speed up after the curve. AP is good at gentle curves that can be safely taken at the same speed as the straight road.

Patience, young Jedi...hands on or very close to the wheel, eyes on the road, relax and focus.

My wife and I both enjoy AP and it will slow for curves, but on a really twisty/curvy (mountain pass) we just used the cruise and did the driving. I feel the car actually may have taken the sharper curves more cautiously than I would have had I been controlling the speed. We have a short video, but it really doesn't relay just how much the speed varied, but the cruise was set at 55 MPH.

Does the autopilot automatically slow the car down for sharp curves on the road? I'm guessing it would, but just wanted to double check

Yes, but it does a horrible job of it. I tried using it on a couple of mountain roads a while back and it consistently slowed down WAY WAY too much. Worse, it doesn't slow down BEFORE the corner bur rather in the middle of it. That's worse than nothing. t ended up just turning it off.

It needs to have a user-settable parameter to adjust how "aggressive" it should be in the corners. Some folks will want it to slow to the speed of the yellow warning sign; my rule of thumb is 150% of the sign for a pretty conservative ride (but not always!)

@ Old Wiseguy
What am I seeing in the video? Is the car aware of the curves because it is navigating, seeing speed limit signs, using GPS information, seeing the curves with the camera?
I might be reading way too much into just how/why the car slows down for the curves, but I feel the camera is reading the radius of the curve and the on board computer knows the approximate weight so adjusts the speed according to algorithms programmed into it. And, it could be a combination of all you mentioned above.

Yes, it will slow down when it sees signs for curves, although as others have said, sometimes depending on the signage, it may not work. Also without signs, it frequently barrels around the corner at too high a rate of speed to take the corner safely, but it is improving. Just keep in mind that TACC and Autosteer are tools to aid in driving certain easier scenarios, and winding curvy roads do not really qualify for either.

Reactions: Old Wyseguy
Yes, it will slow down when it sees signs for curves, although as others have said, sometimes depending on the signage, it may not work. Also without signs, it frequently barrels around the corner at too high a rate of speed to take the corner safely, but it is improving. Just keep in mind that TACC and Autosteer are tools to aid in driving certain easier scenarios, and winding curvy roads do not really qualify for either.
We were not using AP, just cruise. Manually steering with a cautious foot over the brake prepared to slow if necessary.

the AP does not recognize the yellow advisory speed signs. the system isn't capable of working well on twisty mountainous roads. I've even shut the AP down on sections of interstates where the downgrades and twists were too much for the AP to handle.

I might be reading way too much into just how/why the car slows down for the curves, but I feel the camera is reading the radius of the curve and the on board computer knows the approximate weight so adjusts the speed according to algorithms programmed into it. And, it could be a combination of all you mentioned above.
maybe what you say is accurate, but it really doesn't work that well