Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot/Autosteer Right Turns vs Left Turns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me or does the Tesla seem to be very late in making right turns and therefore hug the left side of the lane in right turns?

It seems like autopilot handles turns to the left MUCH better. It seems to start turning at the right time and it doesn't hug either side of the lane so much.

I could be imagining it though?

I wouldn't say that right turns are necessarily BAD... they are just a little more nerve wracking that's all!

Is it just me or does the Tesla seem to be very late in making right turns and therefore hug the left side of the lane in right turns?

It seems like autopilot handles turns to the left MUCH better. It seems to start turning at the right time and it doesn't hug either side of the lane so much.

I could be imagining it though?

I wouldn't say that right turns are necessarily BAD... they are just a little more nerve wracking that's all!
I wouldn't know unless you say what firmware version you have. It varies as new improvement and some quirks get into newer versions.

It seems to start turning at the right time and it doesn't hug either side of the lane so much.
I do feel a hint of this, although I wouldn't put any money on it. I'm curious for a response from a country that drives on the left side of the road. Also from right hand drive cars. Wondering if it's perception based on driver proximity, as in "I prefer my body farther away from opposing traffic". With my LH drive on the right side of the road, I still feel that AP positions me a few inches left of where I would drive myself, even though I believe it's properly centered based on the side marker cameras.

@turnem, any chance your user name reflects this minor obsession?

• Funny
Reactions: turnem
I do feel a hint of this, although I wouldn't put any money on it. I'm curious for a response from a country that drives on the left side of the road. Also from right hand drive cars. Wondering if it's perception based on driver proximity, as in "I prefer my body farther away from opposing traffic". With my LH drive on the right side of the road, I still feel that AP positions me a few inches left of where I would drive myself, even though I believe it's properly centered based on the side marker cameras.

@turnem, any chance your user name reflects this minor obsession?
Hahaha!! No. It's related to my real world name!

I'm on 2019.12.1.2 FWIW.