Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Autosteer with bike or cargo rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone with a hitch mounted bike or cargo rack know what is the impact on Autosteer? I would really like to have Autosteer for long distance travel vacations when the cargo and/or bike rack would be most needed. I did notice that "Tow mode" will allow Autopilot but disable Autosteer, so that might make a hitch mounted cargo rack more desirable assuming 20 cubic feet is enough extra storage for a particular trip.

I have a 5' x 2' hitch mounted cargo rack and I will definitely be disappointed if AutoSteer doesn't work with that thing loaded with a a few suit cases.
Amazon.com: Pro Series 63153 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2" Receivers: Automotive
I've assembled it and just waiting for my car to come in June?!
I'm travelling about 900 miles each way from Texas to Florida in early August so will have plenty of highway miles to try out the AP functions.

Here is another one at Amazon. My only concern is that the carrier weighs 60 to 70lbs. and I am under the impression that the accessory hitch can only accommodate a total of 120lbs. 60 lbs is not much cargo IMO
My DS is investigating the whole Accessory Hitch situation for me and should be reporting back with "details" soon!
I will update the forum when I see some good info come back from her.

Reactions: beths11
Is it an obstruction when you back up at the super charger? Had read on TMC that the bikes had to be off loaded when you back up? ?
No, trailers might be but not a bike rack that sticks out 5 feet. Although, I'm sure there may be some SCs that have an issue but I've seen 3 in Texas in person and they would all be just fine. I'v also looked at pics from PlugShare, etc from all of the other ones along I-10 that I will stop at on the way to Florida from Austin and those would all be fine as well.