Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot basic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just bought a 2017 model s! Love the car, but bad news today I was parking car and hit accelerator instead of break!!! Yes I’m an idiot, but should autopilot stop the car from crashing? Not blaming car but it was my fault but trying to understand how real this technology is. Because it did nothing but let me hit the car :(

Next question is will it be fixable or totaled !!! *sugar* day :(

Attachments

• 7775A71F-EBA1-4DC4-8668-623830910D3D.jpeg
    7775A71F-EBA1-4DC4-8668-623830910D3D.jpeg
    978.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 2283A114-A866-44B4-8BB5-F3BA5534F6C9.jpeg
    2283A114-A866-44B4-8BB5-F3BA5534F6C9.jpeg
    953.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 269EA67A-6308-4A77-9B66-E8E05448BBF9.jpeg
    269EA67A-6308-4A77-9B66-E8E05448BBF9.jpeg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 38
So just bought a 2017 model s! Love the car, but bad news today I was parking car and hit accelerator instead of break!!! Yes I’m an idiot, but should autopilot stop the car from crashing? Not blaming car but it was my fault but trying to understand how real this technology is. Because it did nothing but let me hit the car :(

Tesla still subscribes to the principle that the manual always overrides the machine.

Thus, if you manually accelerate your car, the automation system will allow manual action and does not challenge human judgment.

The one who didn't subscribe to that principle was Boeing 737 Max with its MCAS system as the machine overrides human's manual maneuver (human pilots wanted to nose up, the MCAS disobeyed the manual human actions. It fought humans and it nosed down and crashed the planes).

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick
Tesla still subscribes to the principle that the manual always overrides the machine.

Thus, if you manually accelerate your car, the automation system will allow manual action and does not challenge human judgment.

The one who didn't subscribe to that principle was Boeing 737 Max with its MCAS system as the machine overrides human's manual maneuver (human pilots wanted to nose up, the MCAS disobeyed the manual human actions. It fought humans and it nosed down and crashed the planes).
Sheesh

Need to learn about Auto Pilot and how to use it. That's most people's first (and costly) mistake. They don't read the instructions! If you were parking, Auto Pilot was NOT ON at the time you hit the accelerator and drove into the crash. As others said, driver input always overrides Auto Pilot. AP is a DRIVER ASSIST feature, not an idiot proof feature. It is not LEVEL 5 autonomy. It is a glorified version of Traffic Aware Cruise control with lane keep assist.

Tesla's will provide automatic braking in some instances where it believes you're coming up on a car too fast and not slowing down. But, it can't respond in that manner to override you slamming the throttle instead of the brake. Clearly, not even a human can do that. Too little space to react once you've made the mistake.

I'm glad you're safe and unharmed. Please be safe out there and, to everyone, learn how to use features of your car and it's capabilities BEFORE something bad happens, not after its too late. Not that I'm a pro or anti vaxxer, but it's like most of the anti-vaccine people who refuse to get it for no other reason than being stubborn, then after they contract COVID, ask "can I get it now?". No! It's too late now. Somethings you have to be smart enough to realize that the prevention and preparation outweighs the risk/reward of hoping it doesn't happen to you.

Totally agree I learned the hard way!! Regenerative braking is great until I hit the wrong pedal! This was 100% my fault but wandered after the fact! Nobody was hurt, and will see if my car lives another day which I hope it die and gets fixed quickly! Aka fixed in the next month or so :( Have a great Labor Day and appreciate the input! Learn from me :(

Reactions: Sanderpman12
Partially related here, and would not have stopped the accident in this case, but seems I read somewhere a couple years back that the parking sensors (or maybe cameras) caused the accelerator pedal to not allow full power when something was being sensed very close to the front of the car.
I never got around to looking this up to see. has anyone ever heard of this?
seemed the idea was to simply reduce the impact if you made this exact mistake the OP did.

Next question is will it be fixable or totaled !!! *sugar* day :(
It all depends on what object you collided with? Did the car suffered also internally, i.e. does it only needs external panels to swap out or there is some extent hidden damages under them. Repair will be costly and time consuming as it’s hard to get parts from Tesla. Not impossible but repair shops does not have items on the shelf.

Partially related here, and would not have stopped the accident in this case, but seems I read somewhere a couple years back that the parking sensors (or maybe cameras) caused the accelerator pedal to not allow full power when something was being sensed very close to the front of the car.
I never got around to looking this up to see. has anyone ever heard of this?
seemed the idea was to simply reduce the impact if you made this exact mistake the OP did.
Ok answered my own question with a bit of research. It appears there is NOT any algorithm of any kind to reduce pedal input when nearby objects.