Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot beep nag WITH 1st visual warning since update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from a short 300 mile road trip since picking my X up from the SC, and I experienced something HIGHLY annoying no less than 6 to 7 times. The audible beep that normally occurs with your 3rd warning (after shake wheel and flashing light) has been sporadically going off AS the first message shows up to shake the wheel. Not with the red "immediately grab wheel" warning or after the flashing light...literally at the same time as the first message comes up at the bottom of the screen. What's worse, it's not even every time. No rhyme or reason. No cars around, with cars around. Poor road lines, brand friggin new road lines. It's been extremely annoying and your passengers all think your not paying attention, let alone interrupting conversations. Has anyone else experienced this since the most recent update? For reference, I have AP1, not AP2.

I know the SC updated my firmware and software both when I was in the shop for an issue with me steering wheel not responding to auto positioning so I'd imagine I've got the newest and most up to date version of both.

I love Tesla and I love AutoPilot, but I swear to God they are making it almost an inconvenience to even use it anymore. So much red tape around it that it's starting to turn people off to it. It's so sad.

I started experiencing this in 2018.21.9. Got "logs look normal" from a remote tech and asked my service manager to escalate it to engineering as a bug vs a problem with my vehicle.

ETA: The first time this happened to me, I was actually actively fighting the steering wheel because inclement weather had caused the vehicle to lose the lines and start swerving to search for them (and I mean fighting it, you can't disengage my autosteer without some force). The second time it happened was on a very clear day during acceleration from a stoplight when autosteer hadn't been engaged very long at all (I engaged it after I started moving, and the vehicle was still accelerating). I haven't kept track of subsequent occurrences since I hope it is already in front of the right people and I don't know of any way to verify that.

I've noticed it does that when it is uncomfortable with surroundings. It will go to audio alert immediately when approaching certain intersections where it doesn't know which lane to pick or the markings disappear. Especially with no other cars around. It will do it on the highway in rare occasions around an exit/entrance or rest stop as well

• Informative
Reactions: rush6410 and GOPJEW
I've noticed it does that when it is uncomfortable with surroundings. It will go to audio alert immediately when approaching certain intersections where it doesn't know which lane to pick or the markings disappear. Especially with no other cars around. It will do it on the highway in rare occasions around an exit/entrance or rest stop as well
That’s my observation as well. If it suddenly loses lane markings, It will instantly go into beeping mode. Those beeps don’t seem to count against you as a strike, unlike the inattentive beeps from ignoring the visual nag.

Once in a while it also directly escalated to beeping in seemingly good conditions but I presume it was less confident than I am

Reactions: arathald
2018.24.1 12dd099
i have the same update and also AP1, and i get the same BS...i'm convinced tesla is making AP1 worse to move people to AP2.5. :(

i just spent 6 days in a model s is with AP2.5 and it performed better than any AP1 with a few minor exceptions:

1. motorcycles show up as cars not motorcycles
2. speed limit signs are GPS based and do not actually read the signs
3. i cannot change lanes above 30mph on non-highway roads like i can in AP1

i'm convinced that most of the cameras must be working in the AP2.5 cars as i could crest a hill without the car swerving out of the lane as it does in an AP1 car, and the AP2.5 cars can read curbs & faint road lines MUCH better and have less ping-pong than my AP1.

i'm not in love with AP1 anymore. :(

i have the same update and also AP1, and i get the same BS...i'm convinced tesla is making AP1 worse to move people to AP2.5. :(

i just spent 6 days in a model s is with AP2.5 and it performed better than any AP1 with a few minor exceptions:

1. motorcycles show up as cars not motorcycles
2. speed limit signs are GPS based and do not actually read the signs
3. i cannot change lanes above 30mph on non-highway roads like i can in AP1

i'm convinced that most of the cameras must be working in the AP2.5 cars as i could crest a hill without the car swerving out of the lane as it does in an AP1 car, and the AP2.5 cars can read curbs & faint road lines MUCH better and have less ping-pong than my AP1.

i'm not in love with AP1 anymore. :(

I'm not sure they're making AP1 worse. AP2 has been fantastic at reading curbs, faint road lines, and cresting hills since virtually day one. It just had been marred by a myriad of other bugs that didn't allow its strengths to shine. And lately they seem to be fixing a lot of that.

AP2/AP2.5 were just as affected by the increase in nags and the more forms of warnings. If anything, AP2 has more warnings when operating in crazy conditions. Autopilot now throws reliable TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY alarms when engaged in a left turning lane after entering the intersection, or at a T junction where the road ends.

I'm not sure they're making AP1 worse. AP2 has been fantastic at reading curbs, faint road lines, and cresting hills since virtually day one. It just had been marred by a myriad of other bugs that didn't allow its strengths to shine. And lately they seem to be fixing a lot of that.

AP2/AP2.5 were just as affected by the increase in nags and the more forms of warnings. If anything, AP2 has more warnings when operating in crazy conditions. Autopilot now throws reliable TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY alarms when engaged in a left turning lane after entering the intersection, or at a T junction where the road ends.
well i guess we can just thank the media for this then...:rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
well i guess we can just thank the media for this then...:rolleyes:
Between the media and dumb inattentive people, that's why we can't have nice things.

The only solace is that at least for AP2/2.5, the recent updates that added/modified nagging (2018.21.9, 2018.24.x) have also dramatically improved AP2 performance at the same time (at least for me, some see the opposite). So at least I'm appreciative that Tesla didn't just release some knee-jerk nagging updates...

Well it's nice to know I'm at least not alone on this one, even if it isnt extremely common. The randomness of it would definitely be what drives me crazier than anything.

And slightly off topic, from all the AP2 loaners I've had (and it's been a lot now), I think AP2 may have FINALLY caught AP1. The #1 thing that still drives me insane about AP1 is how it always wants to yank you completely off the road when it crests a hill. Good lord, just keep the wheel at the exact same angle as when your approaching then crest...why does it feel the need to take evasive maneuvers every time it pops over the top?

That, by far, has been the most noticeable difference I've observed. Also, AP2 TACC will allow you to get almost twice as close to the car in front of you for a following distance as AP1. Mist just be able to react quicker or something.

That’s my observation as well. If it suddenly loses lane markings, It will instantly go into beeping mode. Those beeps don’t seem to count against you as a strike, unlike the inattentive beeps from ignoring the visual nag.

Once in a while it also directly escalated to beeping in seemingly good conditions but I presume it was less confident than I am

Noticed the same thing - this seems to be used where a normal nag isn't urgent enough but the car doesn't need to go into "OMG we're all gonna die" mode immediately. I've got AP2.5, and I noticed this change somewhat recently (possibly with the 2018.26 update), but I'm only about 3 weeks in, so I may have just missed it or didn't have such a situation in my first week or week and a half.

...And slightly off topic, from all the AP2 loaners I've had (and it's been a lot now), I think AP2 may have FINALLY caught AP1. The #1 thing that still drives me insane about AP1 is how it always wants to yank you completely off the road when it crests a hill. Good lord, just keep the wheel at the exact same angle as when your approaching then crest...why does it feel the need to take evasive maneuvers every time it pops over the top?...
hello neighbor, i'm gahanna, when i had a loaner for 6 days recently i noticed that AP2.5 is the best out there with just a couple of exceptions. my thought as to why 2.5 is good on hills is that the additional cameras on the side are looking at the road lines.

i still like the following AP1 features: it shows motorcycles as motorcycles instead of cars, it allows lane changes on non-interstate roads, it actually reads speed limit signs instead of being gps fed...

Reactions: Stavesacre21
The immediate nag with audible alert happens when the car is not confident with what it is sensing. I have had it specifically happen at times when it loses the lines all together. I have an intersection in the middle of a long curve with all road lines dropped. I actually like the fact that it does this rather than just powering through in a confused state. I have also noticed that it does not disengage autosteer, just alerts. I am on 18.26

The immediate nag with audible alert happens when the car is not confident with what it is sensing. I have had it specifically happen at times when it loses the lines all together.

If that's the case, I certainly have a bigger issue then, because I'm routinely getting it on normal roads where the lines are literally days old. I noticed that it started happening after the 12dd09 update tho. More 1 step forward, 2 steps back.