Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot blinded, disengaged by sun on interstate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happens to me all too often, as my commuting times and east-west travel seems to set me up for twice daily blinding. In fact, I started this thread a while back, to discuss what Tesla might need to do to solve this problem:

Blinded by the sun

I’m hoping they might be able to do some software wizardry, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to take some kind of hardware, be it polarizing filters, collimators, or... electrochromic glass? Who knows. But they definitely need to solve this if they want to move beyond level 3 autonomy.

I was actually thinking of this problem again this week, as my car did something it’s never done before on autopilot. While heading east into the morning sun, it drove over the lane divider and I had to take over. I’m pretty sure it was because the front cameras were blinded. Previously, it would have disengaged and told me to take over, but this time, it was perfectly content to drive over the bumps in the dashed lines. This was on the firmware that immediately preceded 2020.48.30. I saved it on dashcam, as I couldn’t believe it.

• Informative
Reactions: ladysbff
I was actually thinking of this problem again this week, as my car did something it’s never done before on autopilot. While heading east into the morning sun, it drove over the lane divider and I had to take over. I’m pretty sure it was because the front cameras were blinded. Previously, it would have disengaged and told me to take over, but this time, it was perfectly content to drive over the bumps in the dashed lines. This was on the firmware that immediately preceded 2020.48.30. I saved it on dashcam, as I couldn’t believe it.
This has happens to me regularly on a highway with overhead construction going on (new bridge). Lane markings are visible but there are some added dashes and new solid lines to signify no lane changes. The combo of sun + lane markers causes AP to swerve into a different lane in the same spot almost every time, so now I disengage AP when I’m approaching it. Almost hit someone the first time that happened. The crazy thing is how many Teslas are on the road here, I just figured everyone else was experiencing that and had already brought it up as an issue. But it never got better and this started over the summer.

I had autopilot disengage multiple times today as I was driving into the setting sun. Never had this this happen before so I was puzzled. Came home and saw the reason why. That bird had surgical strike capability!!!

Attachments

• 4C53B8A3-838B-4D5B-BC7C-967D3FEC84F9.jpeg
    4C53B8A3-838B-4D5B-BC7C-967D3FEC84F9.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Funny
Reactions: ladysbff
It seems to be happening to my Model 3 more and more nowadays, and very annoying. I agree that they need to develop a hardware fix by either getting better cameras/ lenses or bringing back the Lidar (which I happen to have with my model already but apparently no longer being used). Also agree with the posts about in the meantime allowing dumb cruise control, otherwise driving during certain commute hours means my Enhanced Autopilot is worse than the other 'dumb' cars I have with regular cruise control. This really sucks. I don't see how we can get to true self-driving without fixing this common problem.

It seems to be happening to my Model 3 more and more nowadays, and very annoying. I agree that they need to develop a hardware fix by either getting better cameras/ lenses or bringing back the Lidar (which I happen to have with my model already but apparently no longer being used). Also agree with the posts about in the meantime allowing dumb cruise control, otherwise driving during certain commute hours means my Enhanced Autopilot is worse than the other 'dumb' cars I have with regular cruise control. This really sucks. I don't see how we can get to true self-driving without fixing this common problem.
As far as I know Tesla never had Lidar. Lidar is different than regular radar on the cars these days. No production cars have Lidar as of today. If there is direct sunlight human eye can be blinded which works way better than any camera lens, so no camera lens capable of not being blinded by the camera without special filter, which will decrease sensitivity and not usable during the night time driving.

Reviving this thread as I'm becoming overly annoyed with basic autopilot constantly disengaging when it's sunny outside. I literally cannot use cruise control at all if I'm driving into direct sunlight. Didn't have this problem with any of my other vehicles (S/3/X).

Are others still experiencing the same issue?

Reviving this thread as I'm becoming overly annoyed with basic autopilot constantly disengaging when it's sunny outside. I literally cannot use cruise control at all if I'm driving into direct sunlight. Didn't have this problem with any of my other vehicles (S/3/X).

Are others still experiencing the same issue?
I have not experienced this with my MY. It's actually saved me a few times on the freeway driving into the sun where I can't see the lane markings at all, but it still can.

What software are y'all on? Since I went to 36.6, it's been perfect. Prior to that, it was impossible in low sun or rain. I have about 3000 miles of Highway AP on 36.6, with zero disengagements or PB events.

(really, took a 2k mile road trip a couple weeks ago, plus a lot of shorter trips.

9/22 Y LR, no FSD of any flavor.

Reactions: Dewg
What software are y'all on? Since I went to 36.6, it's been perfect. Prior to that, it was impossible in low sun or rain. I have about 3000 miles of Highway AP on 36.6, with zero disengagements or PB events.

(really, took a 2k mile road trip a couple weeks ago, plus a lot of shorter trips.

9/22 Y LR, no FSD of any flavor.
I'm on 2022.40.4.2. I'm going to record the issue on the next sunny day.

I'm on 2022.40.4.2. I'm going to record the issue on the next sunny day.
They must be doing A-B testing or have just horrible regression bucket rigor, or something. It's insane that it can work perfectly on one SW release, on certain cars, and then fail entirely on the next one and different cars. It makes getting any sense of what's broken/fixed/working totally impossible to understand.

I'm going to set up a repeatable battery of good/bad weather tests, run them on 36.6, and the again on the next update. Right now I have 2022.40.4.1 queued up, waiting to install, who knows what will be next by the time I'm ready to update.

If it wasn't for the super charging network, I'd get a Mercedes or Rivian. This is getting really old. Just freaking make it work and leave it alone.