Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

autopilot "bong" at loud volume through all spearkers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I've noticed that when listening to streaming audio (local NPR, via streaming since I did the MCU2 upgrade) autopilot "bong" are not just quiet & coming from the driver's speaker, but played at full volume from all speaker and take over from the streaming audio.

Is this a known bug in recent firmware updates?

Nope. I noticed the loudness of all of the alarms last year when I got my Infotainment Ugrade Package installed. There is a Joe Mode you can turn on which will reduce the volume for all alerts and warnings by 50% so you can turn that on, and it is much more easier on the ears.
I have joe mode on.. I was very happy when they introduced that a ways back.

Most of the time the bong works as it always used to, and comes from just the front left area and is quiet. About 1/5 times the bong comes through all speakers and is crushingly loud. There is generally a crackle before it. Its like it was accidentally mixed into all channels rather than just the front left.

Basically, I have a service appointment coming up for other things, and I'm wondering if this is a hardware glitch, or just a bug in recent firmware updates. I first noticed it this year, bit I honestly don't recall exactly when.

I believe Joe mode reduces normal, non critical alerts like turn signals for example. It probably reduces some autopilot alerts as well, if they are not urgent. As far as I know Joe mode will not reduce any critical/urgent/immediate action alerts. Pay attention to see if the alert that plays louder is possibly more important than others, maybe like a "please apply force to the wheel" or a disengagement alert.