Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot Buddy now officially banned in USA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, I was thinking about Autopilot Buddy this morning while driving.

While most of us dont like the super frequent nags, I also dont know how many of us would go to the length of defeating the nag system.
And you have to ask yourself why, at least I did. For me, if Tesla allows say a minute, or five, or 10 between nags, I personally feel that they are confident in the product being capable of allowing that sort of interval. Using a cheating device makes it feel like Im taking the responsibility in my own hands, and I guess I'd rather fall in line and obey what they recommend to do, which is be nagged and let the car know Im actively still "driving".

Weird, I was going to link to this from the old Autopilot Buddy thread, but it seems that that thread is totally gone. (Or maybe my search foo is really low today.)

Neither could I. I don't know if they requested that the thread be deleted (what does that tell you), or the TMC site admins didn't want the liability of advertising such a product (more likely).

I wonder who brought it to the attention of the NHTSA? Tesla has increased the number of NAGS from about 1min to about 20secs (at highway speeds) and at about the same time NHTSA bands the sell of this device. Sure seems that NHTSA is behind all of it.

I'll bet anything that this isn't a coincidence an NHTSA made a confidential settlement with Tesla after all its recent AP crash-related investigations: If you don't want us to ban AP of any kind in the USA as a result of recent safety incidents (most of which have been the fault of goons who don't use as directed and ruined it for the rest of us), you must:

1. Increase the nag interval for ALL AP cars to such a frequency that it's nearly impossible to not hold the wheel while on AP.
  2. Support us in banning AP-defeating devices like AutopIlot Buddy by announcing in public that it is illegal and unsafe to use AP-defeating devices
  3. Develop and push out safer AP features ASAP.
  4. Change advertising and promotion, and train sales staff, to clearly announce that EAP is NOT FSD and absolutely requires hands on the wheel at all times.
Thoughts?

Watch - they will implement eye tracking next on AP2.5. Then these clowns will start selling a mask with fake eyes on it so you can ignore that system.

Except, unlike today's systems, ensuring that the driver has his/her eyes on the road would actually be an effective solution to making sure the driver is paying attention.

• Eyes on road = Driver paying attention
  • Hands on wheel ≠ Driver paying attention
And furthermore...​
  • Hands not detected on wheel ≠ Hands not on wheel

As long these disconnects exists, you'll get people frustrated by false nags trying to "fool" the system, even if they fully intend to pay attention while driving, keep their hands on the wheel, and not do anything unsafe. But once a defeat mechanism is put in place, good intentions can quickly go out the window and end up leading to unsafe situations or abuse.

1. Support us in banning AP-defeating devices like AutopIlot Buddy by announcing in public that it is illegal and unsafe to use AP-defeating devices

Why would Tesla need convincing on this? I would think that Tesla would be happy to support banning products like Auto Buddy. After all, it is not in Tesla's interest to have drivers abusing AP.

Reactions: MelaniainLA