Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot Buddy now officially banned in USA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no difference between an autopilot buddy and the same weight strapped to the steering wheel. It’s just physics, torque to be precise. The computer can’t tell a difference. The only thing Tesla could have done is increase the force necessary to override the nag.

And what is your point? Are you saying that you have tested strapping exactly the same amount of weight in the same place and it defeats the nag where while using the Death Doughnut it does not?

Yes. I've tried that as well. I think there might be some differences between the different models of how they respond to torque resistance. On my Model X I can keep my hands down at the 6 o clock position and GRAB the wheel with my thumbs, preventing rotation, and it will still nag me. The only explanation for the differing experiences from different drivers is that the cars might be reacting differently. I'd be interested to see if Models S, X and 3 owners with AP have differing levels of complaints about the nags. We've had an S pre-AP, and we have a 3 without AP. So my only experience with AP2.0 and above has been my Model X. Like I said, on the trip this last weekend it was so irritating as to be nearly useless. It took more attention to have AutoSteer on than it did off, and that's on the dead-straight sections of I-5.
We have an MX and a M3 both with AP. I can, and do, drive either for hours in AP with either my left or right hand at the bottom of the wheel against the bottom steering wheel spoke. As long as I let the spoke push against my hand slightly - zero nags. If I get a nag it is because I have picked my hand off the wheel for too long. These drives include 680, 80 and 5 in CA and I do it almost every week.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
And what is your point? Are you saying that you have tested strapping exactly the same amount of weight in the same place and it defeats the nag where while using the Death Doughnut it does not?
Uhhhh no? I’m saying I have tested the same amount of weight in the same place and they both don’t do anything. It requires more weight.

The other guy said Tesla could differentiate between the autopilot buddy and something else that weighs the same in the same position, which is nonsense.

Not sure what you’re so upset about.

Uhhhh no? I’m saying I have tested the same amount of weight in the same place and they both don’t do anything. It requires more weight.

The other guy said Tesla could differentiate between the autopilot buddy and something else that weighs the same in the same position, which is nonsense.

Not sure what you’re so upset about.

That's not what they said. They said Tesla added SW to detect buddy. Ie the mass of buddy. Not the exact object itself. No claim to object recognition, nor extrapolation to other masses.

I also really don’t understand why people hate this thing so much. You all realize that you can pass out using normal cruise control in a normal car right? And that is much more dangerous than passing out or falling asleep using autopilot?

Because its only reason for being is to defeat a safety device current in place so that people can drive in a manner outside of the manual. Reducing safety is reducing safety and increasing the risk of accidents regardless of the risk with a different type of vehicle.

There is no difference between an autopilot buddy and the same weight strapped to the steering wheel. It’s just physics, torque to be precise. The computer can’t tell a difference. The only thing Tesla could have done is increase the force necessary to override the nag.

Of course it can’t detect the actual device, but if Autopilot Buddy no longer works, my assertion that Tesla defeated Autopilot Buddy is accurate.

Reactions: MP3Mike and mongo
Hank,
I ordered an Autopilot Buddy 4.0 (Feb 2019) and is working with FW 9.0 2018.50.X
Joe

Well, at the time I posted that, it was pretty clear that Tesla did defeat the APB, otherwise, why would they have this exchange offer on their website?

upload_2019-2-24_16-19-6.png

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Are you sure the .5 lb works? It would be convenient if it works. I tried this, based on a forum member suggestion.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R68SPW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
it does work but is not as convenient as auto pilot buddy (which I am now using).

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
Nope, I was hit by a driver looking at the car next to me.
Good one! :)
I am tired of all the "preaching do gooders" on this subject! They either want to use it or not use it; its their wish. I wonder how many of them text while driving or do some other distracting deed. Before they start preachin "well you are affecting others".. go preach elsewhere. Some of us want to use it and it is our choice and responsibility!

Most of us are here to get working ideas..
I liked the suggestions made on this forum about the amazon options for this. I did try the 12 oz "rope"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R68SPW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It does work but it is inconvenient (too big and is intrusive).
I bought the autopilot buddy and it works amazingly well. It is easy to install and is not intrusive.
For me, it is well worth the price. Being a free market, we pay what the market allows and I am happy to pay the $260 for convenient. Before autopilot buddy, and even with my hand on the steering wheel, I have been getting warnings.