TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AutoPilot Buddy now officially banned in USA!

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by MelaniainLA, Jun 19, 2018.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Humor? It's a prank. Totally fake.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

3. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

• Like x 1
  4. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Well-Known Member

It was pretty inevitable.

Whoever create it should have just drawn up instructions where most of it could be 3D printed.

It's not like it was really any more advanced than a coke can.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

6. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

As soon as the radar detector issues an alarm or warning, what is the very first thing that its user does?

Hit the brake and comply with the speed limit.

Seems like the radar detectors control speeding pretty well.

7. hacer

hacer Active Member

AP nags can be safely and easily defeated. Simply grab the steering wheel at the 2 O'clock position with your right hand and hold on, allowing the wheel to support the weight.

8. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

You have to give them credit. That design is very well made. But $200 for some molded rubber with magnets? A bit overpriced.

9. Need

Need Active Member

This ban is going to create the opposite effect NHTSA desired. Not every Tesla owner reads Tesla forums. I think 80% or more Tesla owners did not know about AutoPilot Buddy or the Orange or wrist/ankle weight straps. Now with this ban all over the mainstream media, everyone and their mother knows about it and how it works. Combine this with the timing of the increase nagging, do you think there will more or less people using some kind of weight on the steering wheel?

It is kind of like saying Don't look down... of course then you are going to look down.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

R&D would be making molds, mass production molds cost money.

11. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Outside USA!!

12. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

Why a mask? Just a microfish sticker for the camera.

13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

But they said they were hand made taking 13 man hours for each one. (I think that is what they said in the thread that is no longer here.)

14. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

#74 Electroman, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    You have been spouting this nonsense for a long time now. You need to stop. On any road that has lane markers and if you are driving at the speed limit or just marginally over, AP2 works just great. In fact it maintains center by such precision even on sweeping curves I am amazed. The trick is to not over speed and be close to the speed limit.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

#75 Electroman, Jun 19, 2018
    Oh come on. Not even close. It just fools the police by temporarily slowing down for a stretch of one mile and then getting back to overspeeding right after. It in fact encourages overspeeding, because the chances of getting caught are very slim.

I remember while I used to get pulled over and get tickets for just 5 to 7 miles over on a 55 mph three lane divided highway (495 in Mass in those days when the limit was 55), one of my friends happily zoomed at 75+ in his Celica and never got caught. And one day I found out why.

• Funny x 1
  16. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

:) I'm being somewhat facetious of course, but the police presence does indeed force those with radar detectors as well as those without to slow down. Obviously if the police density isn't very high then it does this only occasionally.

Many moons ago, I used to drive with a radar detector, but there were so many false alarms that it wasn't even worth it. Even when you were on the open highway, instant-on and laser units would defeat the detector. In my opinion, they're just a wallet-lightening device, as they don't really help you.

Plus, with an EV, the optimum speed for fastest travel is the balance speed between efficiency on the road and time at the charger, which is around 72 MPH, acceptable on nearly all highways without risking a ticket.

• Like x 2
  17. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I am glad APBuddy was banned for 3 reasons,

a) It brings to light how ridiculous the AP situation is that people are willing to pay for such workarounds.
    b) I'd rather see APBuddy banned than AP banned.
    c) I will run to home depot and build APbuddy at home and save $199.

• Like x 2
  18. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

I must say I am tempted to buy it, but then reconsidered when I saw the price tag. Why would this need to cost $200? Maybe $29 and you will sell like a lot more.

I am not doing Home Depot, but maybe Walmart for a wrist weight.

Seiously, Tesla please end this nonsense and fix AP, and change the nag frequency to something reasonable.

• Like x 1
  19. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

#79 BigTonyTones, Jun 19, 2018
    $29 is a bit low. I bet if it was $69-$99 they would sell tons This announcement is the greatest marketing they'll get. Iv never even heard of it until this thread.

20. Ande

Ande Member

It's lake saying "we have no clue what we are doing"
    Extreme lies to cover extreme greed, give that impression.

This must be the stupidest device of the year, if ap is not engaged the weight will bias the steering to hit traffic or ditch even quicker.