Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot Buddy now officially banned in USA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but there is a difference between actual safety, and what needs to be stated to avoid the liability for a person misusing the system are different.

My contention is the "hands on wheel" is not actually a safety feature at all and safety is not compromised by not having your hands on the wheel as long as your are being an attentive driver. Both Tesla and Cadillac developed their approach to ensure a driver is attentive and they have nothing to do with whether your hands are on the wheel or not. Tesla has simply chosen this as a proforma for driver attentiveness, i.e. if your hands are on the wheel then you are being attentive. I contend this is not the case at all and there is not one study anyone can provide that proves it is safer to have your hands on the wheel as opposed to not, as long as the driver is being attentive.

Just to state the obvious... Most drivers that fall asleep at the wheel had their hands on the steering wheel. :)

In Tesla's case, I think this has more to do with Tesla wanting to limit your ability to do something else with your hands such as texting, nose-picking, etc.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
Ok, In 10 tests, it took me longer to move an object I was not originally holding than one I was. Feel free to verify results.
I have also verified that time relates directly to car displacement. Also, there is a strong correlation between reaction time and accident avoidance.

Ah yes, fake data....

Funny I ran 10 tests this morning and the time it takes for me to actually change the track of the car, while my hand is resting on the bottom of the wheel enough to eliminate the nag is actually slower than when I have my hands off the wheel and am prepared to act.

Ah yes, fake data....

Funny I ran 10 tests this morning and the time it takes for me to actually change the track of the car, while my hand is resting on the bottom of the wheel enough to eliminate the nag is actually slower than when I have my hands off the wheel and am prepared to act.

My data was not fake, I actually ran the test before responding.

I am at a loss at how it takes you less time to move your hands to the wheel and then move the wheel than it does to just move the wheel...

My data was not fake, I actually ran the test before responding.

I am at a loss at how it takes you less time to move your hands to the wheel and then move the wheel than it does to just move the wheel...

Rest your non dominant hand on the bottom of the wheel with resistive torque to eliminate the nag. Then test how quickly you can actually take corrective action as opposed to having your hands free to move. I am actually quicker without having my hands encumbered to actually correct the track of the car than I am with my hands in an unnatural position resting on the bottom of the wheel with my non-dominant hand.

Rest your non dominant hand on the bottom of the wheel with resistive torque to eliminate the nag. Then test how quickly you can actually take corrective action as opposed to having your hands free to move. I am actually quicker without having my hands encumbered to actually correct the track of the car than I am with my hands in an unnatural position resting on the bottom of the wheel with my non-dominant hand.

Like you said, hand at the bottom (esp non-dominant) is going to make evasive maneuvers difficult due to limited range of arm movement.
It sounds like you are comparing two different cases.
  1. Hand on bottom of wheel
  2. Hands off wheel moving to somewhere other than bottom of wheel
What if you start with your hand where you put it in use case 2?

Reactions: GWord and MIT_S60
Hell, it`s about damn time this happened!
If idiots are bent on being a danger to themselves and everyone around them then there`s no stopping it, but we don`t have to accept when someone makes a product out of this.

Really!!! All we want is our cars to work like AP1 did before it was ruined by NHTSA. Whether you use an orange, a water bottle, or this device, we just want AP1 functionality. However, I now see why Elon put in nags to keep your hand on the steering wheel, because of the NHTSA and people like you that get all into everybody business and hate on everything until its ruined.

Of course, the joke's on us if the whole APB thing ends up being a completely non-existent parody product (I neither know nor have heard of a single misguided soul who shelled out money for an APB - or an orange, actually). But the guy sure seemed erstwhile about making a go of it.
When we were in Custer last month, we met a lot of fellow drivers and one of them was a nice guy from the east coast who told us about his Autopilot Buddy. He swore by it, saying it was great, especially for those long, straight roads out west.

Really!!! All we want is our cars to work like AP1 did before it was ruined by NHTSA. Whether you use an orange, a water bottle, or this device, we just want AP1 functionality. However, I now see why Elon put in nags to keep your hand on the steering wheel, because of the NHTSA and people like you that get all into everybody business and hate on everything until its ruined.
For some people it seems seriously hard to understand that the AP never was intended to be a hands-free system. The checks if people were using the system as intended were just very lenient.
And as usual a few idiots ruined it because they proved that you have to force people to behave correctly.

You`re basically claiming that you have the right to treat a level 2 system like a level 4+ system. Guess what as long as everyone else has to share the road with you you`re wrong and the NHTSA and similar legal organs are absolutely correct here.
At this point I could actually just say "read the ****ing manual"!

Last edited:
Reactions: DR61
Now the end result is AP is now much less useful, just as stressful as driving yourself - forcing people not to bother turning it on.

If you not turning it on, there won’t be AP related accidents. If you are not driving the car there won’t be any automobile accidents.

Problem solved.

There is a reason why there are no accidents with Nissans pro pilot or Mercedes whatever it is called.

You`re basically claiming that you have the right to treat a level 2 system like a level 4+ system. Guess what as long as everyone else has to share the road with you you`re wrong and the NHTSA and similar legal organs are absolutely correct here.
At this point I could actually just say "read the ****ing manual"!

Nobody said "Level 4+" you need to read my statement. Dont Asssume I said anything!

Nobody said "Level 4+" you need to read my statement. Dont Asssume I said anything!
You want the nag interval reversed, and since the nags are not a problem if you keep your hands on the wheel and Tesla has no other means to make sure you pay attention you basically want a system that doesn`t bother you and just drives by itself without making sure you`re paying attention at all...
And that`s level 4!

Get over it. You will get your comfort back once the tech is actually somewhere near Musk`s promises from 2015-2016....

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and graphic
It's true that it is possible to find a non optimal position to hold your hands while driving. How about keeping your hands on the wheel in a sensible driving position? I find it is both comfortable and eliminates the nags quite well.

So, hold the wheel exactly as I would in normal driving and ensure I apply torque to the wheel? Sounds like the definition of driving the car without EAP. Would be arguably, possibly safer.

As an aside you guys are also keeping your foot resting on the brake as well so that you can react as quickly to braking situations a? If not, why not? Maybe Tesla should add a Brake Nag as well to make everything even safer?

Reactions: croman
So, hold the wheel exactly as I would in normal driving and ensure I apply torque to the wheel? Sounds like the definition of driving the car without EAP. Would be arguably, possibly safer.
Like it or not, that is method called for in the manual. EAP is aggressive lane assist and adaptive cruise control. It is NOT self driving...

As an aside you guys are also keeping your foot resting on the brake as well so that you can react as quickly to braking situations a? If not, why not? Maybe Tesla should add a Brake Nag as well to make everything even safer?
Non-Tesla owner: if I am in a situation where I think the brake will be needed, I don't use ACC...
When driving normally, I don't have my foot over the brake either, it's on the accelerator.

Like it or not, that is method called for in the manual. EAP is aggressive lane assist and adaptive cruise control. It is NOT self driving...

Non-Tesla owner: if I am in a situation where I think the brake will be needed, I don't use ACC...
When driving normally, I don't have my foot over the brake either, it's on the accelerator.

Sorry does this mean you do not own a Tesla? I am confused now.