Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot bug with lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I requested that the issue be elevated. They said a supervisor will contact me today or tomorrow. If they don't, I'll contact them again on Wednesday.

I'd be happy with either a refund or ALC. No harm, no foul.
FSD is now $7k for me. At present, that's a non-starter.
If I'm stuck with the status quo, it will definitely taint my opinion of the brand.

Let me know what happens and who you escalated to. I tried to speak with 3 different people but each one said a refund was not possible.

Their terrible customer service is making it reallly hard to fully enjoy the car.

You should be able to do a lane change with just basic autopilot, now navigation on autopilot , is a different story. Once turning on /off autopilot to do lanes charging, over and over cause maintenance problems, they will release an update, that includes the lanes change.

Reactions: Mdoss
You should be able to do a lane change with just basic autopilot, now navigation on autopilot , is a different story. Once turning on /off autopilot to do lanes charging, over and over cause maintenance problems, they will release an update, that includes the lanes change.

...what "maintenance problems" do you imagine turning on and off a computer feature will cause?

...what "maintenance problems" do you imagine turning on and off a computer feature will cause?
I don't know about maintenance, but I can see a safety issue.

Once last week I was forced to disengage AP to change lanes. After changing lanes, I immediately attempted to reengage AP, but got a message that it wasn't available. I tried again, but got the same message. I kept trying to reengage it, and suddenly, Blue Oyster Cult was blasting through the stereo and I had no clue how to turn it off. It was distracting, to put it mildly.

Frankly for me 4K for a TACC is a little much price wise.
Especially if you have to disengage and re-engage every time you do a line change, that seems a little annoying to me.

Hopefully will see a price drop in the future of these option with the arrival of FSD. I think I would have jumped on the EAP at 6.5K but this 4K AP is not worth it in my opinion, and can't justify 10.6K for the features I like in EAP.

BTW prices are in CAD before 15% taxes

Reactions: Mdoss and dhrivnak
I tested this today. I have FSD. When on navigate on autopilot the car will suggest a lane change, and I need to confirm the change by signaling, then it will merge. The car will not do any lane change unless navigate on autopilot is on, even if auto steer is on.
So it sounds like Auto Lane Change now only works if you have FSD and are currently using Navigate on Autopilot?? Wow.

I don't yet have my M3, but under the Autopilot settings, there used to be an option to turn on/off Auto Lane Change. Now I think that is no longer there, and all you have is the Customize Navigate on Autopilot button, where you select Speed Based Lane Changes (off, average, mad max, etc)

Maybe they purposefully took away the Auto Lane Change feature (even for FSD owners), unless you are currently using Nav on AP?? Wonder why they did that?

Can any other FSD users confirm that ALC doesn't work with just Autosteer engaged - it has to be Nav on AP??

So it sounds like Auto Lane Change now only works if you have FSD and are currently using Navigate on Autopilot?? Wow.

I don't yet have my M3, but under the Autopilot settings, there used to be an option to turn on/off Auto Lane Change. Now I think that is no longer there, and all you have is the Customize Navigate on Autopilot button, where you select Speed Based Lane Changes (off, average, mad max, etc)

Maybe they purposefully took away the Auto Lane Change feature (even for FSD owners), unless you are currently using Nav on AP?? Wonder why they did that?

Can any other FSD users confirm that ALC doesn't work with just Autosteer engaged - it has to be Nav on AP??
My car is currently on 2019.5.15 and Lane change without NOA worked for me yesterday. Car has had FSD from day 1.

When you turn on the blinkers while in Autosteer but without NOA, the solid lane indicator changes to a dotted line. This is how it was before NOA was introduced and this is how it was yesterday without NOA engaged.

Most people will not turn off the autopilot for lane changes, instead they just going to jerk the wheel until it disconnected, then engage once lane change is complete. The steering resistance force you experience will eventually cause the maintenance I was referring.

Nope. It works if you have FSD or EAP, and NoA isn't required to be on at all.

Only basic AP (the new offering) lacks ALC.

The on-line manual and the AutoPilot video on the owners page clearly say lane change is part of AutoPilot.

The video clearly shows it's demoing enhanced autopilot- a package no longer sold.

They should certainly update/replace the video, but it's not a video about the current, cheaper, less-features, AP that Tesla is selling today.

The video clearly shows it's demoing enhanced autopilot- a package no longer sold.

They should certainly update/replace the video, but it's not a video about the current, cheaper, less-features, AP that Tesla is selling today.
Why do folks keep claiming that?
Tesla has already updated that section of the support page to reflect the change from the old EAP offering to the new AP offering. All of the text and video currently in that section reflects their current offering.

Last edited:
Why do folks keep claiming that?
Tesla has already updated that section of the support page to reflect the change from the old EAP offering to the new AP offering. All of the text and video currently in that section reflects their current offering.

Second time I've had to point this specifically out to you.

Shows the video is about ENHANCED autopilot with a screen shot.

I can outline the word enhanced in red for you yet again if it'd help?

Second time I've had to point this specifically out to you.

Shows the video is about ENHANCED autopilot with a screen shot.

I can outline the word enhanced in red for you yet again if it'd help?
Only if you can also outline a disclaimer stating that all of the features demonstrated in the video are not included in the Autopilot package (the section in which the video is displayed).

If it's in the Autopilot section, then it applies to Autopilot, unless there are disclaimers to the contrary. I didn't see any disclaimers, did you?

I can only think of two possible reasons that Tesla left that unaltered video in their updated Autopilot section:
  1. All of the features shown apply to the Autopilot package
  2. Tesla screwed up.
If it's the former, then there's a bug. If it's the latter, Tesla needs to remedy their mistake (one way or the other) for those of us who made purchasing decisions based on their screw up.

Last edited:
Been watching this thread. I have EAP in an S that we bought last year. Picked up our 3 on Friday and am disappointed about the lack of lane change with the new iteration of AP. Yes, technically somewhere I could have deduced it but I don't feel it's clear enough. Most conspicuously missing is any mention of lane change being part of the FSD upgrade which would have been enough to both make it more clear to me and to get me to pop for the upgrade at a cost of $2,000 less than I am currently facing. The FSD upgrade on the order page says 1) Navigate on autopilot, 2) Autopark and 3) Summon. These are three things that aren't critical in my opinion on the S and from experience the lane change is clearly different than Navigate on Autopilot. Hoping to get an exception to add FSD for the pre-delivery cost of $5k. We'll see....

Only if you can also outline a disclaimer stating that all of the features demonstrated in the video are not included in the Autopilot package (the section in which the video is displayed).

That makes no sense.

Tesla: "Here's a video on Feature Package A"

You: You have to prove feature package B doesn't have the same stuff!

Everyone else:.... what?

If it's in the Autopilot section, then it applies to Autopilot, unless there are disclaimers to the contrary. I didn't see any disclaimers, did you?

I saw the actual video says it's about enhanced autopilot.

I literally showed you a picture of it saying that.

You didn't buy enhanced autopilot, so you don't get all the stuff in that video.

Just like the last 3 times this was explained, specifically, to you.

I can only think of two possible reasons that Tesla left that unaltered video in their updated Autopilot section:
  1. All of the features shown apply to the Autopilot package
  2. Tesla screwed up.
If it's the former, then there's a bug. If it's the latter, Tesla needs to remedy their mistake (one way or the other) for those of us who made purchasing decisions based on their screw up.

This, too, was explained, specifically, to you.

Teslas website is run by a tiny pack of very poorly trained monkeys.

They frequently update one part of a page without updating all of it- or forget to remove outdated things no longer relevant (for example removing the enhanced autopilot video, since EAP is no longer sold)

Should they remove that old video about a package no longer sold? Yup, they should. There's lots of things on the webite they need to clean up/remove/update, including many references to things they don't even sell anymore... (EAP, the MR model 3, etc).

But in the end, the new AP doesn't come with lane changing. Nor does the page where you actually click to buy the new AP package claim it does so.

That makes no sense.

Tesla: "Here's a video on Feature Package A"

You: You have to prove feature package B doesn't have the same stuff!

Everyone else:.... what?

I saw the actual video says it's about enhanced autopilot.

I literally showed you a picture of it saying that.

You didn't buy enhanced autopilot, so you don't get all the stuff in that video.

Just like the last 3 times this was explained, specifically, to you.
I honestly have no idea what is so hard to understand.

The video is in an updated section that is now dedicated exclusively to Package B. Therefore everything in that video applies to Package B, unless there are disclaimers to the contrary.

Is it me?

This, too, was explained, specifically, to you.

Teslas website is run by a tiny pack of very poorly trained monkeys.

They frequently update one part of a page without updating all of it- or forget to remove outdated things no longer relevant (for example removing the enhanced autopilot video, since EAP is no longer sold)

Should they remove that old video about a package no longer sold? Yup, they should. There's lots of things on the webite they need to clean up/remove/update, including many references to things they don't even sell anymore... (EAP, the MR model 3, etc).
If Tesla had not gone to the trouble of updating that section to reflect the change from EAP to AP, I would agree with you. But they did update it. Here's how the page used to look.
EAP.PNG
After the update, that section, and all of it current contents, apply to the current AP offering.

But in the end, the new AP doesn't come with lane changing. Nor does the page where you actually click to buy the new AP package claim it does so.
.The point-of-sale page for AP does not list any specific features included in AP (and the list of features shown for FSD is incomplete). Researching their site for more details led many of us to click on link called "Autopilot Overview", which took us to the recently updated "Autopilot" section of the support page, which includes a demonstration of the ALC feature (without any sort of disclaimer that the feature being shown is not included in the package that the section is dedicated to.

Here is An interesting thought: I think more people would be interested in the complete AP + FSD, if you where tied up to an account profile, not to a specific vehicle Meaning, if you swap vehicles, it would transfer to the next vehicle. Since all software and hardware is there.

Frankly for me 4K for a TACC is a little much price wise.
Especially if you have to disengage and re-engage every time you do a line change, that seems a little annoying to me.

Hopefully will see a price drop in the future of these option with the arrival of FSD. I think I would have jumped on the EAP at 6.5K but this 4K AP is not worth it in my opinion, and can't justify 10.6K for the features I like in EAP.

BTW prices are in CAD before 15% taxes

For TACC, you just press the stalk down once, but you have to steer. What you're talking about is Autopilot, which you press the stalk down twice for. There were a lot of requests a while back wanting TACC pulled out of the EAP package and they would pay less (I think people were thinking around 2k), and as far as I know autopilot is 3k not 4k unless they changed the price yet again....

And yeah, taking ALC out of autopilot sucks, they should have just left that part in as autopilot is practically worthless without it. Though, for long stretches with no traffic, it would still have some value.

Reactions: BrunoB